Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

De-facto visa enquiry

De-facto visa enquiry

Old Aug 29th 2002, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

exrafgit is an unknown quantity at this point
Question De-facto visa enquiry

I'm applying for a Visa to Australia under the Spousal Catorgory ( de-facto ). Jo and myself have been living together here in Scotland for 2 years now. Jo is an Australian citizen and will be my sponsor. In October when i will be submitting my application, Jo will still be legally married to her Ex, even though they have been seperated 3 and a half years. I would like to know if anyone know is this will have any adverse effect on my application under the de-facto catorgory.
Old Aug 29th 2002, 9:02 pm
Jaj

Default Re: De-facto visa enquiry

A divorced person can sponsor on de-facto grounds, provided they show evidence that
their previous relationship has permanently ended.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:13:32 +0000, exrafgit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm applying for a Visa to Australia under the Spousal Catorgory ( de-facto ). Jo
    >and myself have been living together here in Scotland for 2 years now. Jo is an
    >Australian citizen and will be my sponsor. In October when i will be submitting my
    >application, Jo will still be legally married to her Ex, even though they have been
    >seperated 3 and a half years. I would like to know if anyone know is this will have
    >any adverse effect on my application under the de-facto catorgory.
    >--
    >wheaty
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Jaj:
A divorced person can sponsor on de-facto grounds, provided they show evidence that
their previous relationship has permanently ended.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:13:32 +0000, exrafgit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm applying for a Visa to Australia under the Spousal Catorgory ( de-facto ). Jo
    >and myself have been living together here in Scotland for 2 years now. Jo is an
    >Australian citizen and will be my sponsor. In October when i will be submitting my
    >application, Jo will still be legally married to her Ex, even though they have been
    >seperated 3 and a half years. I would like to know if anyone know is this will have
    >any adverse effect on my application under the de-facto catorgory.
    >--
    >wheaty
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by exrafgit:
Thanks for the reply on my question on de-facto relationships. You say divorced people can sponsor on de-facto grounds, as long as they can prove the relationship has ended. But does it apply to me in regards the fact that my partner will still be married at the time of my application, but she will have been seperated over 3 yrs, but has filed for divorce, but she is having problems with her ex signing the papres. We hope to solve this problem when we get back to Aussie. We have been together 3 years and been living together for 2 years as husband and wife, that should count for something, any help please.
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 9:54 am
Jaj

My apologies. It's one of those times when you think one word and write another.

What I meant to say is that a *separated* person can sponsor on de-facto grounds (if
they've lived together with their new partner for 12 months), provided they show
their former relationship has permanently ended. It may be necessary to explain why
a divorce has not yet been finalised as part of this process.

A divorced person can sponsor either on de-facto grounds, or of course can get
married. Divorced people can sponsor for the Fiance visa, while separated
people cannot.

If the Australian spouse has previously sponsored someone to migrate to Australia on
spouse grounds, there is a normally a 5 year time gap before a second sponsorship is
allowed, and normally a lifetime maximum of two sponsorships.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 08:10:46 +0000, exrafgit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Originally posted by exrafgit:
    >Thanks for the reply on my question on de-facto relationships. You say divorced
    >people can sponsor on de-facto grounds, as long as they can prove the relationship
    >has ended. But does it apply to me in regards the fact that my partner will still
    >be married at the time of my application, but she will have been seperated over 3
    >yrs, but has filed for divorce, but she is having problems with her ex signing the
    >papres. We hope to solve this problem when we get back to Aussie. We have been
    >together 3 years and been living together for 2 years as husband and wife, that
    >should count for something, any help please.
    >--
    >wheaty

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Jaj:
My apologies. It's one of those times when you think one word and write another.

What I meant to say is that a *separated* person can sponsor on de-facto grounds (if
they've lived together with their new partner for 12 months), provided they show
their former relationship has permanently ended. It may be necessary to explain why
a divorce has not yet been finalised as part of this process.

A divorced person can sponsor either on de-facto grounds, or of course can get
married. Divorced people can sponsor for the Fiance visa, while separated
people cannot.

If the Australian spouse has previously sponsored someone to migrate to Australia on
spouse grounds, there is a normally a 5 year time gap before a second sponsorship is
allowed, and normally a lifetime maximum of two sponsorships.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 08:10:46 +0000, exrafgit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Originally posted by exrafgit:
    >Thanks for the reply on my question on de-facto relationships. You say divorced
    >people can sponsor on de-facto grounds, as long as they can prove the relationship
    >has ended. But does it apply to me in regards the fact that my partner will still
    >be married at the time of my application, but she will have been seperated over 3
    >yrs, but has filed for divorce, but she is having problems with her ex signing the
    >papres. We hope to solve this problem when we get back to Aussie. We have been
    >together 3 years and been living together for 2 years as husband and wife, that
    >should count for something, any help please.
    >--
    >wheaty
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by exrafgit:
Cheers Jeremy, your reply answers my question. So its full speed ahead with finishing the application off and sending it off.