Reload this Page >

De facto partner - agreements etc

De facto partner - agreements etc

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

aquaaddict is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De facto partner - agreements etc

Hi all,

Just getting read to move to WA in Jan, and was surprised to come across the fact that De facto partnerships are legally recognised in Oz.

Therefore I think we need to arrange an agreement, the equivalent of a pre nup (yes I know not everyone agrees such things but thats a different topic), as we have been together 4 years so I guess the moment we settle there we will be considered de facto married.

Has anyone else gone through this? How much did it cost to get drawn up etc, did you arrange it before you landed or once there? Any recommendations for people that draw up such things?

Thanks

Anthony
Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of
Default Re: De facto partner - agreements etc

Originally Posted by aquaaddict
Hi all,

Just getting read to move to WA in Jan, and was surprised to come across the fact that De facto partnerships are legally recognised in Oz.

Therefore I think we need to arrange an agreement, the equivalent of a pre nup (yes I know not everyone agrees such things but thats a different topic), as we have been together 4 years so I guess the moment we settle there we will be considered de facto married.

Has anyone else gone through this? How much did it cost to get drawn up etc, did you arrange it before you landed or once there? Any recommendations for people that draw up such things?

Thanks

Anthony
De facto's are recognised in the UK to.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:41 am
Just Joined

aquaaddict is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John_R
De facto's are recognised in the UK to.
I dont believe it is, its a term commenly used but has no real standing in UK law. E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-...United_Kingdom

"The term "common-law marriage" is frequently used in England and Wales; however such a "marriage" is not recognized in English law, and it does not confer on the parties any rights or obligations equivalent to those of spouses"

Back to the original question,. does anyone have any experience?

Thanks Anthony
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aquaaddict

Back to the original question,. does anyone have any experience?

Thanks Anthony
Yes. Most co-habiting Australians don't do the whole contract/pre-nup palava, in the same way that most married people do not.