Reload this Page >

De facto girlfriend?

De facto girlfriend?

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

AJ74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De facto girlfriend?

Hi all,

Loads of info about how to proof your relationship with your de facto partner included in your skilled visa application, but I would like to point out my exceptional situation and hopefully get some advice. I already have a positive skills assessment.

Here's the story:

I've had an overseas girlfriend for 4 years now. During this period we kept seeing each other by flying over during holiday periods determined to eventually being able to live together on a permanent basis. That moment came last November when she moved in with me. So basically we've been "together" for 4 years, but have only been living together since November 2005. By the time I will apply for my independent skills visa in, let's say, May 2006, we will have been living together for 6 months.

So our proof would be:
- Around half a year living together.
- Loads of pictures covering the 4 years.
- Holiday contracts with both our names.
- Stat docs from my and her parents.

Bear in mind that we want to do everything the honest way, and yes, our relationship is real and genuine.

Oh, and one more thing.
In case DIMIA would not accept our relationship, would I still be able to get a skilled independent visa. In other words, would my application not be rejected entirely, just because our relationship would not be accepted.

Long story, any help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
AJ74
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Waheeda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: De facto girlfriend?

Originally Posted by AJ74
Hi all,

Loads of info about how to proof your relationship with your de facto partner included in your skilled visa application, but I would like to point out my exceptional situation and hopefully get some advice. I already have a positive skills assessment.

Here's the story:

I've had an overseas girlfriend for 4 years now. During this period we kept seeing each other by flying over during holiday periods determined to eventually being able to live together on a permanent basis. That moment came last November when she moved in with me. So basically we've been "together" for 4 years, but have only been living together since November 2005. By the time I will apply for my independent skills visa in, let's say, May 2006, we will have been living together for 6 months.

So our proof would be:

Bear in mind that we want to do everything the honest way, and yes, our relationship is real and genuine.

Oh, and one more thing.
In case DIMIA would not accept our relationship, would I still be able to get a skilled independent visa. In other words, would my application not be rejected entirely, just because our relationship would not be accepted.

Cheers,
AJ74
Hi there

My partner and I have been living together for nearly 2 years and together for 4 but when we started gathering all our evidence for my spouse visa we were told even though we'd been living together for 6months and been together for 2 years (then) we would still need another 6 months of evidence!
I would suggest you do the following if you already haven't: -
Put all utility bills in joint names
Open a joint bank account
Keep anything that refers to both of you
Perhaps wait a few more months and gather more evidence of you living together.

Good luck - if you have any more questions i'd be happy to help - [email protected]
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:14 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

It's time co-habiting that counts - showing you've been in contact over a long period of time, while it might support your application, doesn't count for anything when it comes to proving how long you've been a de-facto couple.

It's two years already since I was at the stage you're at - time really does go quickly, so for what it's worth I'd suggest you live together for 12 months before putting your application in. In my case we'd been living together 2 years but had actually known each other for 10!

Good luck,

Big.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:54 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AJ74
Hi all,

Here's the story:

So our proof would be:

Oh, and one more thing.

Cheers,
AJ74
Hi Aj,
Sounds like you have pretty much covered everything. Andrew and I came here on defacto with me as the main applicant and we had only been together 2 years. We were asked for a stat dec on each other stating how we met, how the relationship developed and our plans for the future. We were also asked for a will. Hope this helps and all your dreams come true.
Sarah
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:11 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

I was in a similar situation to you when I applied for PR - I had been with my partner for a year, but living in different countries, then properly living together for about 5 months when I submitted my PR application.

When I applied (2003) applications were taking a while to process (8-12 months) - this counted in my favour. Essentially what I did was submitted my application, then as soon as my partner & I had been living together for a year sent of a change of circumstances form to DIMIA informing them of my de facto partner and enclosing all of my proof of us living together. We both got our PR.

Things have changed since then, and I believe the application process is a bit faster now (certainly medicals are requested sooner). It may still be a possibility that you could try something along these lines - if so you'll want to drag the process out as long as possible (without causing problems for your application!). It would probably be worthwhile speaking to a migration agent if you want to choose this tactic, as they can help you to avoid any potential pitfalls.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks all, for your replies.

Originally Posted by teach
Hi Aj,
Sounds like you have pretty much covered everything. Andrew and I came here on defacto with me as the main applicant and we had only been together 2 years. We were asked for a stat dec on each other stating how we met, how the relationship developed and our plans for the future. We were also asked for a will. Hope this helps and all your dreams come true.
Sarah
Sarah,
Those 2 years, we're you actually living together?

And if anyone could help me out with my last question (re: application being relected in case relationship would not be accepted), it would be highly appreciatied. The theory behind it is, that if DIMIA will not accept our relationship but my application could still go through, I might just be able to sponsor my girlfriend on a partner visa when I have my pr. At that stage, we will have lived together for more than 1 year...

I know, risky business, but I'm just trying to go through all the options.

Cheers,
AJ74
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks, saraliz,

That was also one of my strategies.

Encouraging to hear that you made it.