Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight Savings and some thoughts

Daylight Savings and some thoughts

Old Oct 28th 2002, 5:01 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daylight Savings and some thoughts

This post has no relevance just rambling as I can on this forum now!

Of course I forgot initially the change to the hours!

I am in NSW and had to get up rather abruptly to vacate our hotel room, when I realised we had a hour less to lounge and pack.

But it was lovely Sunday Night to sit on the verandah for an hour more in the sunlight till 7.15 at the moment. But annoying the time difference for phone calls home and/or chatting real time on the net to my UK colleagues 11 hrs difference now.

My evening sunlight is going to last till 8.10 in January, I am going to enjoy this. The equivalent UK time for London was 9.22 sunset on longest day - I suppose I thought it was later because of the sunset lasting longer? Does anyone else here notice the lack of twilight or rather it not lasting as long?

Earliest Sunset in winter - 3.51 pm London December 13 and 4.52 pm Syndey June

Then I was interested in the differences to Melbourne - they are light at the moment until 7.50 with it stretching to 8.45 in summer. Can I have the Melbourne light, Sydney Sun, Melbourne People housing and Sydney pay rates, Melbourne house prices and Sydney beaches all rolled into one?

Found an interesting site at http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html

which gives me all this information and more if you are interested

Cheers Sandra, it is now 5.00 pm and I am going home early so I can fill in my tax return which is due of the 31st Oct!!!! ah ah aaagggghhh.

cheers
Old Oct 28th 2002, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya Sandra,

We too have found the world clock, very interesting site. I didn't know that not all parts of Australia change their times though, like you say it will be very difficult now trying to catch rellies and friends on-line or via telephone. Well not unless your a total addict and spend every waking moment on the net, "hubby says I'm addicted but I say I'm only as addicted as he is" !!!

Well I'm going now cus there's no one on-line to chat to LOL,

Julie & Darren
Adelaide by early 2003
Old Oct 28th 2002, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have just put the clocks back in Uk too. I was at work and by 4.45 it was dark ! how depressing. Oh well 2 months before the days start getting longer again.
I personally would prefer it if we didn't change the times, I know there is mixed opinion on this.

Ta ta

Tina
Old Oct 29th 2002, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tasmania is already on Daylight savings time. NSW, SA and VIC changed this week. WA changes later, and I believe NT doesn't have daylight savings. QLD definitely doesn't becaise the western towns complained because it makes the afternoon too hot. In Brisbane it gets light in summer at around 4.30am - too early I think. There is talk of splitting QLD into two time zones.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kaleb777
Tasmania is already on Daylight savings time. NSW, SA and VIC changed this week. WA changes later, and I believe NT doesn't have daylight savings. QLD definitely doesn't becaise the western towns complained because it makes the afternoon too hot. In Brisbane it gets light in summer at around 4.30am - too early I think. There is talk of splitting QLD into two time zones.
WA doesn't change at all. Unfortunately we don't have DST. And looks like this current govt isn't going to bring the issue forward. They've had referendums on it in the past and most in Perth wanted it. Rural people didn't and they seem to have got their way. You'd almost have to divide WA into two time zones as well. It doesn't make much difference in the northern part as it does in the south. As for it being too hot, well, hot is hot. Putting the clocks forward would mean it doesn't get as hot so soon in the day, and it would stay hot later in the day. Can't see how it would make any difference to one's life in that respect. I see the advantage being that you would get more daylight to enjoy at the end of the day, after you get back from work. That to me, is a big plus.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Perth Helena
WA doesn't change at all. Unfortunately we don't have DST. And looks like this current govt isn't going to bring the issue forward. They've had referendums on it in the past and most in Perth wanted it. Rural people didn't and they seem to have got their way. You'd almost have to divide WA into two time zones as well. It doesn't make much difference in the northern part as it does in the south. As for it being too hot, well, hot is hot. Putting the clocks forward would mean it doesn't get as hot so soon in the day, and it would stay hot later in the day. Can't see how it would make any difference to one's life in that respect. I see the advantage being that you would get more daylight to enjoy at the end of the day, after you get back from work. That to me, is a big plus.
It would make a difference if you want to go to sleep at say 9:30 pm and it's still 29 degrees. An hour makes a big difference in temperature once the sun goes down, at least in Brisbane it does, and especially in the desert. The daylight at night thing is what the city people want. At least Perth is in the extreme west of WA and gets the sun the latest. Brisbane is in the extreme east of QLD, so it gets dark here first and light at 4:15 I noticed today. That's the middle of the night!
Old Oct 30th 2002, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

It would make a difference if you want to go to sleep at say 9:30 pm and it's still 29 degrees. An hour makes a big difference in temperature once the sun goes down, at least in Brisbane it does, and especially in the desert.
But how much of a difference? One degree, two degree? As I said, "hot is hot", and would it really make a difference that you go to bed with it being 29 versus 27 or 28? I speak as a city dweller so many country people may have a big problem with that. Us spoiled city dwellers have aircon so we figure we'll just run it for a bit longer if need be. And turn it on later in the day than we do now.

[i]The daylight at night thing is what the city people want. At least Perth is in the extreme west of WA and gets the sun the latest. Brisbane is in the extreme east of QLD, so it gets dark here first and light at 4:15 I noticed today. That's the middle of the night!
There's the dilemma. City people have different needs and lives than country people, yet city people have to live life as if they were farmers. City life is geared toward a later start to the day and a later finish. We don't go to sleep with the chooks. Nor do we rise with them. What's the point of waking at 4:30 a.m. if we're not wanted at the office til at least 8am and kids at school at 8:30 or 9? And many of us get home around 6pm or later yet the sun's well on its way to the other side of the earth by then. So if we want to throw the ball around with our kids, forget it, "go to bed" says the farmer.

Maybe they should have a special time zone. Everything above the Tropic of Capricorn, stay on regular time. Everything below changes.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 5:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

It would make a difference if you want to go to sleep at say 9:30 pm and it's still 29 degrees. An hour makes a big difference in temperature once the sun goes down, at least in Brisbane it does, and especially in the desert. The daylight at night thing is what the city people want. At least Perth is in the extreme west of WA and gets the sun the latest. Brisbane is in the extreme east of QLD, so it gets dark here first and light at 4:15 I noticed today. That's the middle of the night!
Agree with this... Queensland really should adopt the daylight savings.
It's stupid here... sunlight streaming in your window at 4 in the morning, and dark early in the evening, so the day's gone time you get home from work.

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2002, 5:09 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Agree with this... Queensland really should adopt the daylight savings.
It's stupid here... sunlight streaming in your window at 4 in the morning, and dark early in the evening, so the day's gone time you get home from work.
A bit of OT trivia:

If you think QLD is bad, imagine the whole of mainland China having only one timezone....

Peter