Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight Savings in SE Qld Petition

Daylight Savings in SE Qld Petition

Old Oct 31st 2006, 12:54 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daylight Savings in SE Qld Petition

http://www.petitionsqld.com.au/campaigns/10/

Just signed this, follow the link if you want daylight savings in SE Qld.

Paul.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 2:35 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight Savings in SE Qld Petition

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.
Been there, signed before, hasn't changed their minds, so not going to bother again. The Gov't will not budge on this issue so it seems to be a complete waste of effort doing it again. Beattie/Bligh have said before regardless as to how many petitions are presented there will be no daylight saving in Qld. even if they are voted out of office, the Opposition are on record as being opposed to daylight saving as well.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 2:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Been there, signed before, hasn't changed their minds, so not going to bother again. The Gov't will not budge on this issue so it seems to be a complete waste of effort doing it again. Beattie/Bligh have said before regardless as to how many petitions are presented there will be no daylight saving in Qld. even if they are voted out of office, the Opposition are on record as being opposed to daylight saving as well.
Nothing stopping business in SE QLD taking the initiative and making a collective decision to open and shut an hour earlier in summer ... problem solved.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 2:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, sadly - not agreeing with The Bloke... oh you know what I mean but it is a waste of time. Cows getting cancer, having their curtains ruined and not being able to lay their eggs is far more important than us lesser mortals.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

There's plenty of sunshine at each end of the day. Daylight savings was invented for the far northern hemisphere to get more activity out of the workforce. I hope that QLD doesn't succumb to this nonsense due to the influx of southerners and poms who don't mind screwing up their body clocks for the mighty dollar.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ
There's plenty of sunshine at each end of the day. Daylight savings was invented for the far northern hemisphere to get more activity out of the workforce. I hope that QLD doesn't succumb to this nonsense due to the influx of southerners and poms who don't mind screwing up their body clocks for the mighty dollar.

One hour lost and gained over a year, Hardly think this will screw up peoples body clocks. Just think of the millions lost in trade alone. Us poms have been doing this for years. All our farm animals have coped very well. No traumatised cows where i came from.

John
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
One hour lost and gained over a year, Hardly think this will screw up peoples body clocks. Just think of the millions lost in trade alone. Us poms have been doing this for years. All our farm animals have coped very well. No traumatised cows where i came from.

John
Please someone tell that to my MIL
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:30 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.
Hey stranger!! Hows you and the wife and kids????
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Please someone tell that to my MIL
ROFL!!

(And to nickyjohnt, I love QLD and the way it is. It may be slow and not-so-smart, but it's a damned sight better to live in than the "go-getting" southern states. If you like to live your life as a frenzied treadmill bunny, move south.)
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:51 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Just out of interest,when does it start getting dark in summer/winter in SE QLD.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 11:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
Just out of interest,when does it start getting dark in summer/winter in SE QLD.
http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/astro/
Old Oct 31st 2006, 11:23 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Nothing stopping business in SE QLD taking the initiative and making a collective decision to open and shut an hour earlier in summer ... problem solved.
Yeah, too easy.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ
ROFL!!

(And to nickyjohnt, I love QLD and the way it is. It may be slow and not-so-smart, but it's a damned sight better to live in than the "go-getting" southern states. If you like to live your life as a frenzied treadmill bunny, move south.)
No one is slagging off QLD ! but I'm sure that the clocks going forward wont change things that much ! just nice to have another hour of daylight in the evening to enjoy the beach, garden , BBQ with your family. You still get up the same time in the morning to go to work, & still finish the same time to come home ! you dont have to be a " frenzied treadmill bunny " to see the advantages !

Nicky
Old Oct 31st 2006, 12:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
No one is slagging off QLD ! but I'm sure that the clocks going forward wont change things that much ! just nice to have another hour of daylight in the evening to enjoy the beach, garden , BBQ with your family. You still get up the same time in the morning to go to work, & still finish the same time to come home ! you dont have to be a " frenzied treadmill bunny " to see the advantages !

Nicky
The job I'm in now, glorified dogsbody, means I'm at work most days from 8am to 7pm. In an office with no windows. I want to get home in daylight, and be able to at least have an hour of sitting outside seeing the garden, having a beer and watching the sunset, relaxing and trying to remember so of the reasons why I came here. People are telling me its summer, but as far as I'm concerned its dark before I leave the office - same as the winter.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was originally in favour of DST for all the reasons you've mentioned. However, I grew up in Scotland where I put up with endless dark mornings to let SE England gain a little extra daylight in the evening. I accepted this as normal - I wasn't born when they last tinkered with BST in the late 60s.

Now that I've lived here a while I've come to value having "natural time". The benefits are of the lifestyle kind e.g. not trying to get young kids to bed in daylight for some of the year but not others, and of keeping the beautiful early mornings. There's no good "business" case for avoiding DST. I feel that Queenslanders are constantly having to justify their choice though - which does lead to Southerners coming up with the old joke chestnuts like the curtains fading too soon.

With Tasmania, WA and the UK etc. all with different hours at different times of the year reaching for the almanac or worldtime.com is always going to be second nature.

Pollyanna, I've followed your situation for ages and unfortunately I feel that what you're going through exemplifies the problems that trying to bring Queensland "up to Southern Standards" means. Lower pay, longer hours, defensive regulations and hiring practices. I really reckon that you'd have had a better shake at the stick 20 years back, before house prices climbed so high and the climb up the slippery pole became the be all and end all.

I suppose that when enough people have moved here never having known anything other than DST it'll tip the balance and we'll "join the 21st Century" ... *sigh*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.