Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight saving in WA

Daylight saving in WA

Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight saving in WA

Originally Posted by lolylew
yeh i'm with you, walked along the beach last weekend and watched the sunset....trouble is once the sun sets your nights over really - its then back indoors with the kids.

ps, love that excuse, lol!!!!!! i heard one where they said the cows didnt know when to milk!!!!!!!!!!!
My mother-in-law actually believes that one, as she asked how we got milk in the Uk when the clocks changed, as the cows wouldn't be milked
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:57 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My mother-in-law actually believes that one, as she asked how we got milk in the Uk when the clocks changed, as the cows wouldn't be milked
You should have told her 'forty two"....
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
WA yes, but all the rest of the Australian states, that have it, will wait untill 5th April 2009
As part of a change that first came in last year - 2008. It came apart as a result of the extension first introduced for the Commonwealth Games in 2006.

Also we now get it a month earlier at the end of September and not October.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is called democracy at work, and maybe there aren't enough new migrants in the area yet to be able to change the State from what it is, and from what the majority of its inhabitants like.

What I find funny is that people move to an area because they like it, then want to change it to be more like the area they came from, and then insult the other inhabitants because they want it to stay the same as they are used to.
Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
I have thought about it. What about people like me who are here not because "they like it" but because they have to be.
Originally Posted by Pollyana
People always forget the likes of you and me.....
Have to admit, I agree with ABC. It is hard though for others and you have my sympathy. But remember, it makes no odds if you have to be there. You are still living somewhere else where at the moment the majority don't want it and the democratic vote still is in place. But this might change... :-0 I think the solution is to split QLD into 2 timezones.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You are still living somewhere else where at the moment the majority don't want it and the democratic vote still is in place. But this might change... :-0 I think the solution is to split QLD into 2 timezones.
We've been here many times before...............but............according to Qld government polling 69% of SE Qld'ers support the introduction of DST in Qld, however they do not support the introduction of a split timezone.......it all works out rather well for Bligh to avoid the issue.

I don't buy the argument that people shouldn't be allowed to have a say in the place that they live......you could also say that Aussies moving to WA or Qld shouldn't be allowed to vote for x years as they are clearly imposing their political persuasions on the 'locals' - however one of them is defined.

It also doesn't mean that people want to change everything about a place and shouldn't have gone there in the first place......DST is a single issue, the might be otherwise very happy.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I would have said I'd vote for it without reservation 3 years ago but now I'm not so sure.

It's great up until March and then everyone notices how dark it is in the Morning. This is a real pain as it's still lovely weather and yet it feels like winter.

Another balls up by the amatuer politians we have in WA. Why it doesn't end with summer at the last day of Feb is a mystery.

I will vote for it but Im not happy with March

Keel
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2438
I guess we moved here to change things...why else did we have to jump though hoops to get here (Skills assessment) if the Aussies didn't want things to change why have immigration...just my view and I'm voting "Yes"
But presumably you came to change things in YOUR life. Not take it upon yourself to change things in everyone else's lives.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But presumably you came to change things in YOUR life. Not take it upon yourself to change things in everyone else's lives.
No everyone has to fit around me and it all has to be done my way...lol

I dont really care one way or the other on this....its an hour...that all...but as this forum proves it's easy to wind people up over it..somebody i know the other night said she cant wait to get rid of DST because when her kids are in bed (still light)they cant understand why other kids are still out playing...so i said thats the parents fault,and has jack shit to do with DST...she went right into one...hahahahahahha...easy as
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I find it one of the very big negatives about Australia...it becoming dark so early in the evening year round. There are some wonderful months for weather - my favourite time of the day is the evening, yet it's so restrictive this darkness! I really miss Northern Europe's long days.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:39 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Personally I find it one of the very big negatives about Australia...it becoming dark so early in the evening year round. There are some wonderful months for weather - my favourite time of the day is the evening, yet it's so restrictive this darkness! I really miss Northern Europe's long days.
It's not a negative for all of Australia though......just those parts that find themselves furthest east, further north and sitting right out at the eastern edge of a timezone an hour behind of everyone else on the same coast to the south......you know who you are!

In mid summer Melbourne there is usable daylight til well after 9pm.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dean_Helen_May-Rose is an unknown quantity at this point

wow you guys can argue over the smallest of things!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

You must vote for lighter evenings! Bloody hell, I have had 3 kids in the past 4 and if the TV is as bad as often suggested the OH might get ideas!!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:13 pm
ABCDiamond

I really miss Northern Europe's long days.
All year round or just part of the year ?

London Mid Winter - Sunrise 8:04 AM - Sunset 3:54 PM - Length of Day 7h 49m
Perth Mid Winter - Sunrise 7:17 AM - Sunset 5:20 PM - Length of Day 10h 03m
Brisbane Mid Winter - Sunrise 6:38 AM - Sunset 5:02 PM - Length of Day 10h 24m
Cairns Mid Winter - Sunrise 6:45 AM - Sunset 5:53 PM - Length of Day 11h 07m

You may lose in Summer, but you gain in Winter...

Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

I was all for dls but then this year couldn't wait for sun to go down and heat to drop off. I'm pregnant and I really hope I feel differently next year if it's voted in and it's just this years circumstances. . I used to love UK summer evenings but it wasn't the same temp.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
You must vote for lighter evenings! Bloody hell, I have had 3 kids in the past 4 and if the TV is as bad as often suggested the OH might get ideas!!
reckon that might have something to do with our third coming to think of it tv is so crap. Don't get me started. Even the Australian open wasn't live but was in the UK. WA coverage any how.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dean_Helen_May-Rose
wow you guys can argue over the smallest of things!
Its a discussion that happens every few months - a subject dear to the hearts of many of us. Hang around a bit longer and you'll see it all over again soon.
Are you in Aus yet? If you come to Qld and suddenly find yourself with it pitch dark by 7.30 every night of ywear you might start to understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.