Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight saving starts tonight...

Daylight saving starts tonight...

Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight saving starts tonight...

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Furthermore - theres is NOTHING stopping any business in SE Qld from deciding it wants to change its regular business hours from 8:30-17:00 to 7:30-16:00 in the summer if they so wish....

If you REALLY want to live like that - get a petition going in your workplace and change it.... Why do you need a legislative go ahead to wake up early?

It would be ideal to move building work to 4 am so you got a couple of hours heat free, but council regs wouldnt allow it, you cant start till its been light and hot for 3 hours.

In summer here I would love night shift, work in the cooler hours and lock myself in a AC room to sleep in the day, but school commitments etc dont really allow you to be that flexible.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It would be ideal to move building work to 4 am so you got a couple of hours heat free, but council regs wouldnt allow it, you cant start till its been light and hot for 3 hours.

In summer here I would love night shift, work in the cooler hours and lock myself in a AC room to sleep in the day, but school commitments etc dont really allow you to be that flexible.
I'm sooooo lucky to do mainly nights now, I get to see more daylight than when I was working dayshift, cos my evenings are now everyone else's mornings - I sit outside with a glass of wine after work in daylight, chill out, then go to bed - much much nicer (personally) than sitting outside in darkness. It feels like evening to me, so it works, feels more like an English evening. Then I can sleep through the heat of the day, back to work when its cooler.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:25 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I know personally people who believe there is no milk for several days until the cows get used to the clock change, and the whole thing about needing more pay because the working day is longer in summer.
The skin cancer thing was big news in Qld last year when a politician used it as a major reason not to change - said the extra hour of sunlight would increase cancer rates and kill us all quicker.
Someone this week asked me how did we persuade children to go to bed back in the UK when it stays light so late. I said I didn't know, I just grew up with it, you get used to going to bed in daylight.
Whack the little bastards round the head or put some sedative in their food, that will do it.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Mean while in QUEENSLAND...... Its just been realised that trying to elect a cow or a sheep as a state MP is not going to work (even though it might be representative of the combined intellegence qouta) and that putting your hands over your ears and singing- LALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!, will not stop DST from being brought in.

Clearly some contributors to this thread seem to think that it is never going to change and that the above method will work. Sooner or later it will change as more and more people move into the state and it will have to. If that means splitting the state into two time zones then fine. The mentality at the moment by some observers is almost along the lines of - "NO you are not allowed out after 6PM to enjoy youreselves, YOU will be in bed by 9pm at the latest in order to be up at stupid o'clock in the morning to go and for a walk and hug a tree whilst eating tofu!"

QUEENSLAND- (The rather behind the times and slightly Nannyish state that needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty first century!)
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:17 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Whack the little bastards round the head or put some sedative in their food, that will do it.

Originally Posted by exsquaddie

QUEENSLAND- (The rather behind the times and slightly Nannyish state that needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the twenty first century!)
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
The only people whose curtains are going to fade MORE with DST are those who wake up in the morning to their open windows and THEN close the curtains to stay cool during the day, only opening them to look out again in the evening when the sun sets....
Government advice is: Close doors, windows, curtains and blinds in areas you want to cool.

Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
Clearly some contributors to this thread seem to think that it is never going to change and that the above method will work. Sooner or later it will change as more and more people move into the state and it will have to.)
Galaxy polls on the Queensland Daylight Saving issue showed support for DLS changing as:

52 per cent in 2005
51 per cent in 2007
48 per cent in 2010

Your logic excludes the numbers who move here and want daylight saving, but then change to not really wanting it after all.
In a 2007 government poll, 81% of those questioned had previously lived in DST areas, but only 52% were in favour of it in QLD.

It does make one think.

And of course the more who move to the Far North, then obviously they tend to go with not wanting Daylight saving.

Old Oct 4th 2010, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ahah, a new one......picked up from facebook.....there people who believe Daylight Saving is a bad thing as you have to mess around adjusting the clocks EVERY night
Old Oct 4th 2010, 11:46 am
ABCDiamond

Ahah, a new one......picked up from facebook.....there people who believe Daylight Saving is a bad thing as you have to mess around adjusting the clocks EVERY night
I get the feeling that people are messing with people

Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:12 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There might be an element of truth in that! I deleted my iPhone alarms and created new ones...and again today, at 6am, the 7am alarm went off!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 4:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
There might be an element of truth in that! I deleted my iPhone alarms and created new ones...and again today, at 6am, the 7am alarm went off!
Not heard of that happening up in QLD

Old Oct 5th 2010, 4:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not heard of that happening up in QLD
Actually it is! I did some searching and it was first spotted a week ago in NZ when their daylight savings started. No fix or mention of it from Apple though.

Turns out any alarms set as recurring, e.g. every day or every weekday are going off an hour earlier than they are set for! Seen plenty of poor Qld'ers saying it's happening to them too though! Yet more evidence against the time stealing witchcraft!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:49 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bcworld
Actually it is! I did some searching and it was first spotted a week ago in NZ when their daylight savings started. No fix or mention of it from Apple though.

Turns out any alarms set as recurring, e.g. every day or every weekday are going off an hour earlier than they are set for! Seen plenty of poor Qld'ers saying it's happening to them too though! Yet more evidence against the time stealing witchcraft!
Yep, a fair few Qlders have mentioned it - seen it on the twitter feed for ABC radio a few times, and other similar sources.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:19 am
ABCDiamond

Then it is about time they all reverted back to normal time then

Old Oct 5th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow

Actual Time Sunrise 5:23 AM EST

Actual time Sunset 5:49 PM EST

why the hell would anyone not want the extra hour of daylight at night

Actually puts me off moving to Brisbane a bit!!

Last edited by bingobob777; Oct 5th 2010 at 12:50 pm.