Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Originally Posted by I like tea
7) Education - 50% of High school students now attend private schools.Why?
Because some people can afford it, and say 'why not'.

A 2001 report showed:
In public schools only 21 per cent of students are in high income families.
In private schools 47 per cent of students are in high income families.

A report for 2009 showed student school attendances as:
2009 Qld Yr 8-12
Government 172,409 62%
Independent 51,663 19%
Catholic 52,169 19%
NSSC Table 40a - Full-Time Students - by States and Territories, Affiliation, Sex, Grade, Age, Indigenous Status and Years

Queensland came 7th in most areas of National testing. Why ?
Possibly because the other States had done one more year at school, for many students, than they had in QLD.
Now that we have the full time Prep year, this may change in the future.

Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Because some people can afford it, and say 'why not'.

A 2001 report showed:
In public schools only 21 per cent of students are in high income families.
In private schools 47 per cent of students are in high income families.

A report for 2009 showed student school attendances as:
2009 Qld Yr 8-12
Government 172,409 62%
Independent 51,663 19%
Catholic 52,169 19%
NSSC Table 40a - Full-Time Students - by States and Territories, Affiliation, Sex, Grade, Age, Indigenous Status and Years

Possibly because the other States had done one more year at school, for many students, than they had in QLD.
Now that we have the full time Prep year, this may change in the future.
I don't wish to hi-jack this post which is about Daylight saving in Qld. but must reply to your comments.

It's too simplistic to say that because our children start a year later they are disadvataged. Children in Scandiavia start school at 7 years but still perform very well in tests and it is well documented that if you delay formal teaching students actually make up the time and perform better in reading etc. It's the system that's flawed in Queensland not the starting age.

For those parents who wish to send their children to private schools that's their choice. Personally, I believe in a quality eduaction for all regardless of your income, ethnicity, location or sex. On that note, I would have preferred to send mine to the local State High and saved myself $100 000 to invest and give it to them for a deposit for a house. Unfortunately, the school ( in my opinion) was lacking in the basics eg. buildings in need of refurbishment, lack of science labs, equipment , art resources etc. lack of a stable teacher workforce. I'm sure many parents are in my position where they feel that inorder, for their child to have a quality education, it has to be private.

The statistics I have seen about High School students differ from yours. I've forgotten the name of my source but it is current and from an Ed Qld web site. Which just goes to show you can prove anything you want providing you manipulate the percentages. The retention rate, school absenteeism and overall results for Queensland students are very poor. The kids are no less intelligent than elsewhere in Oz. We are failing our kids by having an inadequate and poorly resourced and executed system.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

From the links shown:
The No Daylight saving group:

The Pro Daylight saving group

Those are the first five benefits that the "Pro Daylight saving group" show on their benefits page.
The really need to come up with more benefits than variations on the extra hours sunlight.
I do have 1 anti DLS personal reason.

All my neighbours around me grind metal, drill things, ride motorbikes around their back gardens, use chainsaws, rev stupidly loud engines etc all day long. They only shut the hell up when it gets dark.

So I now find myself waiting for it to get dark just to get a bit of peace and quiet. I don't fancy trying to get the kids to sleep with Mr Angle Grinder still going full blast next door.

JTL
Old Apr 18th 2010, 4:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

All my neighbours around me grind metal, drill things, ride motorbikes around their back gardens, use chainsaws, rev stupidly loud engines etc all day long. They only shut the hell up when it gets dark.

So I now find myself waiting for it to get dark just to get a bit of peace and quiet. I don't fancy trying to get the kids to sleep with Mr Angle Grinder still going full blast next door.

JTL
Could it be possibly balanced out by the birds starting their squawking one hour later with DLS?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

From the links shown:
The No Daylight saving group:

The Pro Daylight saving group

Those are the first five benefits that the "Pro Daylight saving group" show on their benefits page.
The really need to come up with more benefits than variations on the extra hours sunlight.

The attached paper [Daylight Saving Time and Motor Vehicle Crashes: The Reduction in
Pedestrian and Vehicle Occupant Fatalities] suggests that in a Daylight Savings regime the number of fatalities are reduced.

Abstract

Fatal crashes were tabulated for 6-hour periods around sunrise and sunset, from 13 weeks before the fall change to standard time until 9 weeks after the spring change to daylight saving time. Fatal-crash occurrence was related to changes in daylight, whether these changes occurred abruptly with the fall and spring time changes or gradually with the changing seasons of the year. During daylight saving time, which shifts an hour of daylight to the busier evening traffic hours, there were fewer fatal crashes. An estimated 901 fewer fatal crashes (727 involving pedestrians, 174 involving vehicle occupants) might have occurred if daylight saving time had been retained year-round from 1987 through 1991.
I would like to chalk this up as an advantage.

S
Attached Files

Last edited by Swerv-o; Apr 18th 2010 at 5:18 am. Reason: Forgot the attachment
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Do you not join the rest of the neighbourhood in these activities?

JTL
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
Do you not join the rest of the neighbourhood in these activities?
I'm trying to think of a reason to justify buying a metal grinder and grinding metal all day. And maybe with a break to use a jack hammer and a few drills.

But try as I might I can't, as I get paid to work with computers, so I'm fairly silent when I work. And I've invested in noise cancelling headphones.

Its an awful thing, but I always know when the neighbours are away, because...its quieter. I think its a thing about old people trying to prove they're still alive by making as much noise as possible.

So on-topic, if we had daylight saving, I'd have to buy noise cancelling headphones for our kids too when the go to bed.

JTL
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:22 am
ABCDiamond

The statistics I have seen about High School students differ from yours. I've forgotten the name of my source but it is current and from an Ed Qld web site. Which just goes to show you can prove anything you want providing you manipulate the percentages.
The statistics aren't mine, nor have I manipulated the percentages, as you say.
Please check the figures yourself at:
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]?OpenDocument NSSC Table 40a

They are the official numbers from Queensland Education for 2009
  • 172,409 at Government secondary schools
  • 51,663 at Independent secondary schools
  • 52,169 at Catholic secondary schools

Then another one at: http://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/p.../chapter03.pdf

3 GOVERNMENT SCHOOL EDUCATION
3.1 Introduction
The scope of the Report in the schools area remains the performance of State
and Territory Government primary and secondary school systems. These schools account for 74 per cent of primary students and 67 per cent of secondary students.
and at: http://education.qld.gov.au/curricul...qld_links.html
With more than 80,000 students enrolled in more than 160 schools, Queensland's independent schools are a vital part of the state's and nation's education system.
I find it interesting when people turn around and say that others who have found official information say they must be manipulating the figures, as they are different to the ones that they themselves say are correct, but are unable to prove it.

Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:29 am
ABCDiamond

Galaxy polls on the Daylight Saving issue showed support for DLS as:
  • 52 per cent in 2005
  • 51 per cent in 2007
  • 48 per cent in 2010
It seems like support for Daylight Saving is declining.

Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

I'm trying to think of a reason to justify buying a metal grinder and grinding metal all day. And maybe with a break to use a jack hammer and a few drills.

But try as I might I can't, as I get paid to work with computers, so I'm fairly silent when I work. And I've invested in noise cancelling headphones.

Its an awful thing, but I always know when the neighbours are away, because...its quieter. I think its a thing about old people trying to prove they're still alive by making as much noise as possible.

So on-topic, if we had daylight saving, I'd have to buy noise cancelling headphones for our kids too when the go to bed.

JTL

Sounds like you live next to Orange County Choppers!!! Won't the noise just work like white noise for the kids and lull them to sleep?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

The statistics aren't mine, nor have I manipulated the percentages, as you say.
Please check the figures yourself at:
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]?OpenDocument NSSC Table 40a

They are the official numbers from Queensland Education for 2009
  • 172,409 at Government secondary schools
  • 51,663 at Independent secondary schools
  • 52,169 at Catholic secondary schools

Then another one at: http://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/p.../chapter03.pdf

and at: http://education.qld.gov.au/curricul...qld_links.html

I find it interesting when people turn around and say that others who have found official information say they must be manipulating the figures, as they are different to the ones that they themselves say are correct, but are unable to prove it.
I didn't accuse you of manipulating the statistics per se, I was merely stating that it's a know fact that anyone ( particularly Governments) can manipulate statistics to prove anything which they regularly do.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Anna's changed her tune then....I'm sure she categorically ruled out a split time zone before?

I think they should trial it a la the WA example.

I think she is being a little clever here though as I don't think there is public support for the split timezone, even though the majority both statewide & especially in the SE favour DS. If she can show the majority don't want to split the state she can use that to put the issue to bed (by 8:30pm) .
Anna Bligh is such a fanny...we r in central qld and would love lighter nights, sod the bloody cows and as for more people gettin skin cancer...its not day light savings that 'causes ' it its the ****** sun....go figure
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BigH68
Anna Bligh is such a fanny...we r in central qld and would love lighter nights, sod the bloody cows and as for more people gettin skin cancer...its not day light savings that 'causes ' it its the ****** sun....go figure
instead of doing constant gallop polls I don't know why they don't just get on and do the real thing.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They will never be day light saving in Queensland as the vast majority of people who live here are not intelligent enough to see the massive benefits it would afford the population. In addition they live in a time wrap being at least 15 years behind Europe in the most basic social, political and environmental issues. Anyone who has any intelligence leaves Queensland as they realise the people in power in this state are morons and couldn't organise a p--- up in a brewery to save their lives.
Power to the people does not happen in Queensland as vast majority of the population are either too drunk, too ignorant or too apathetic. So daylight saving is a non issue.
I'm quite intelligent and have no intention of leaving QLD, I'm not in a time wrap (not sure what that is but I don't think I'm in it), I'm not drunk, ignorant or apathetic. I don't want or need DLS. I lived with it and brought up two young children quite happily in the UK and am quite happy not to have it now.

Believe it or not, just because I don't agree with you, doesn't make me stupid. Attempting to be patronising obviously isn't your strong point, you just make yourself look slightly idiotic.