Reload this Page >

Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:35 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We had all this shite last year in WA.
If there is a referendum I doubt that DLS will be implemented.
The government should just bring it in and then live or die by their decision at the next election. We elect them to make decisions on our behalf and if we don't like the results then we vote them out. Unfortunately governments have referendums on trivial issues like this so that 'the people can decide' - basically saying that they are scared to make them themselves.

We elect them to make decisions on our behalf.

They make decisions based on getting re-elected

Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They make decisions based on getting re-elected
Which is why they won't make a decision on this issue.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Which is why they won't make a decision on this issue.
As I said earlier, Bligh already knows there is not public support for the split time zone - private government polling has shown this.

She also knows that according to the same polling there is majority support in the state for DLS.

Presumably:

Do you support the introduction of daylight savings in Qld?

&

Do you support the introduction of a separate timezone in SE Qld in line with the other Eastern states?

...would yield 2 different results.

Any referndum would likely ask the second question - Bligh can say she put it to the people and they rejected it - it's good politics for her.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:21 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
As I said earlier, Bligh already knows there is not public support for the split time zone - private government polling has shown this.

She also knows that according to the same polling there is majority support in the state for DLS.

Presumably:

Do you support the introduction of daylight savings in Qld?

&

Do you support the introduction of a separate timezone in SE Qld in line with the other Eastern states?

...would yield 2 different results.

Any referndum would likely ask the second question - Bligh can say she put it to the people and they rejected it - it's good politics for her.
How about if the question was "do you support the annexing of SE QLD to NSW and leaving the truly redneck bits of the State in peace to get on with their banjo playing?"
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

The static would be the time that the kids go to bed
Depends on if you have kids and/or a fixed bedtime.

Regardless if majority of South East want it and higher up don't move the time line up above or below Noosa as people wish and have a trial so people can experience the benefits.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
Depends on if you have kids and/or a fixed bedtime.

Regardless if majority of South East want it and higher up don't move the time line up above or below Noosa as people wish and have a trial so people can experience the benefits.
I had no preference for or against, Until NOW!
Let's be honest the only real reason people want it is because it gives them an extra hour of light in the evening, pure & simple it's about leisure time.
I've heard the usual excuse given that it makes commerce between states more difficult, if that were really the case then how bloody stupid is it to then split a state? It's illogical to do something as dumb. It's effectively ostracising the rest of Qld from S.E. QLD. Dividing Brisbane based business from their regional offices. Same argument for having it is now the same for not having it.
The currently proposed division effectively splits the area I cover as a tradie into two. Ergo it now effects me directly. If I have a job in Noosa currently an hour away without daylight saving a 7am start there means a 6am start from home. Split that time zone & I get up at 4.30 to drive an hour for a 7am start[half for breckie]. School kids will have the same problem, up an hour before their mates who live the other side of the zone yet attend the same school.
I don't care two hoots if it comes in or not I just want it statewide or not at all!

Oh for the record the division is probably going to run through the middle of Traviston just so the premiere can stick two fingers up at the anti dam protesters that had a nice little win
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Split that time zone & I get up at 4.30 to drive an hour for a 7am start[half for breckie]. School kids will have the same problem, up an hour before their mates who live the other side of the zone yet attend the same school.
This is the scenario people living and working on different sides of the Qld / NSW border already live with.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:58 am
ABCDiamond

I've heard the usual excuse given that it makes commerce between states more difficult, if that were really the case then how bloody stupid is it to then split a state? It's illogical to do something as dumb. It's effectively ostracising the rest of Qld from S.E. QLD. Dividing Brisbane based business from their regional offices. Same argument for having it is now the same for not having it.
That is a point that I have wondered about, but few people have mentioned it recently.

The people on the NSW/QLD border are quite happy for QLD to be split, as long as NSW and SEQLD are the same.

Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the scenario people living and working on different sides of the Qld / NSW border already live with.
Yep, there's a definitive state line drawn there & anyone taking a job on the other side of the line knows the deal. This proposed split is within a state. It now effects me directly & while I'm not against DS I am most definitely opposed to splitting the state.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:00 am
ABCDiamond

Is that a good enough reason to make people in QLD have a split time zone ?

The NSW people voted for that change in 1976, they should accept it, as they wanted it.

Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Is that a good enough reason to make people in QLD have a split time zone ?
No one's making anyone do anything.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

I had no preference for or against, Until NOW!
Yes you have... we've discussed it before & you were against it then as well which is your perogative.

Let's be honest the only real reason people want it is because it gives them an extra hour of light in the evening, pure & simple it's about leisure time.
I'm making no secret of the fact it will give me an extra hour at the end of the day but as I start work at 7am or 7:30am an extra hour at the end of daylight is more usefull than at the start when I can't do anything with it. If the rest of QLD doesn't want a seperate time zone for whatever reason they can choose to vote with the SE. But flip side is the same, why if the rest of QLD don't want it should SE QLD suffer if the majority down here want it.

If you want to cut down your trade problems in split time zones the house next door is still for sale
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

pumba is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

1) I live in the UK (moving to Cairns in a couple of months) and long summer nights here are fantastic (so actually, I want the DST to come to north QLD)

2) DST would mean less energy usage and environmental impact

3) could generate LOADS of money for QLD - if you can stay on the beach until later at night, more people come to the beach.

4) improves public safety

5) TRY IT!!! you never know, you might just like it!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How about if the question was "do you support the annexing of SE QLD to NSW and leaving the truly redneck bits of the State in peace to get on with their banjo playing?"
Now there's no way the Blight Govt is going to do that. I'd be quite happy to split Qld somewhere South of Caloundra. Donate the Brisbanite lot to NSW your welcome to it.
Us rednecks can then make Townsville or Rockhampton the new state capital & share out the profits from the mining boom among 5 million less people.
Originally Posted by pproehann
Yes you have... we've discussed it before & you were against it then as well which is your perogative.

I'm making no secret of the fact it will give me an extra hour at the end of the day but as I start work at 7am or 7:30am an extra hour at the end of daylight is more usefull than at the start when I can't do anything with it. If the rest of QLD doesn't want a seperate time zone for whatever reason they can choose to vote with the SE. But flip side is the same, why if the rest of QLD don't want it should SE QLD suffer if the majority down here want it.

If you want to cut down your trade problems in split time zones the house next door is still for sale
Not true, I didn't oppose it personally, I merely suggested your arguments for it i,e easier trade with NSW were thinly veiled excuses for more leisure time in the evening. I don't oppose it now on a state wide base. I said it didn't effect me! It does in it's current proposed form. My original argument was that time zones should be set along a Longitudinal Meridian not on a line of Latitude. Here's the thread
The arguments for, as discussed above, are now negated by the split within the state. Those arguments can all now be used to the negative as all now apply to anywhere North of the proposed split.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

They will never be day light saving in Queensland as the vast majority of people who live here are not intelligent enough to see the massive benefits it would afford the population. In addition they live in a time wrap being at least 15 years behind Europe in the most basic social, political and environmental issues. Anyone who has any intelligence leaves Queensland as they realise the people in power in this state are morons and couldn't organise a p--- up in a brewery to save their lives.
Power to the people does not happen in Queensland as vast majority of the population are either too drunk, too ignorant or too apathetic. So daylight saving is a non issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.