ABCDiamond

Default Re: Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

I can't see the point of a one hour change, to get this result:

Middle of January
Sunrise: 5:06 am –
this would change to 6:06 am with daylight saving

Sunset: 6:48 pm –
this would change to 7:48 pm with daylight saving
However, a THREE hour change giving this...
this would change to 8:06 am with daylight saving

this would change to 9:48 pm with daylight saving
Now that would be worth considering.

Everyone could drive to work in the dark, while I sleep in, but I could then get light evenings till late.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Queenslanders need only look to the rest of Australia to see if children elsewhere suffer from this feared insomnia.

As for climate, from my experience in Brisbane, I would far rather it was '1 hour' hotter in the evening when I am able to wear appropriate clothing and relax and choose how active to be. Not '1 hour' hotter in the morning when I have to wear business clothes, get ready for and travel to work. Besides I think this point is moot anyway. Brisbane temperatures often peak early in the day, unlike Melbourne where the hottest part of the day can often be around 5pm.

As discussed before, the flipside of children leaving school in the UV danger zone with DS is that they already arrive at school in the danger zone without DS.

DS opponents may object to being sneered at by DS supporters but the arguments given are often non-sensical or simply not understood...can of course work both ways.
Do they not realise UK children and Sydney Melbourne children have gone to bed for years and survived.

That the temperature will be the same as it would have been but the time on the clock is just different.

And the usual argument about heat pre and post work and what you can do is only of use to those with flexible work hours as I can't go off for a drink with mates before work and get to work on time & sober.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:27 am
ABCDiamond

As discussed before, the flipside of children leaving school in the UV danger zone with DS is that they already arrive at school in the danger zone without DS.
Has that been confirmed ? I 'thought' that 9am was in the green or yellow zones, not the red zone.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pproehann
That the temperature will be the same as it would have been but the time on the clock is just different.
The time on the clock will actually be the same, it is the temperatures that will be different.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Has that been confirmed ? I 'thought' that 9am was in the green or yellow zones, not the red zone.
According to your website:

On 5th March 2010 9am is estimated at around UV 5 - the top of the yellow zone.

With DS that would be equivalent to the 8am reading - look to be around UV 2, inside the green zone.

Without DS, 3pm records a reading of close to 5, yellow zone.

With DS 3pm would be about 7 in the orange zone.

No DS yellow / yellow
DS green / orange
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see the point of a one hour change, to get this result:

Middle of January
this would change to 6:06 am with daylight saving

this would change to 7:48 pm with daylight saving

It doesn't seem like a huge change, but I think it would have quite an impact on the way that we live our lives. Personally I think it would have a very positive impact.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

The time on the clock will actually be the same, it is the temperatures that will be different.
Think it can be either as depends on if you are looking at the time or the temperature as the static.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Think it can be either as depends on if you are looking at the time or the temperature as the static.
The static would be the time that the kids go to bed
Do they not realise UK children and Sydney Melbourne children have gone to bed for years and survived.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:13 pm
ABCDiamond

According to your website:

On 5th March 2010 9am is estimated at around UV 5 - the top of the yellow zone.

With DS that would be equivalent to the 8am reading - look to be around UV 2, inside the green zone.

Without DS, 3pm records a reading of close to 5, yellow zone.

With DS 3pm would be about 7 in the orange zone.

No DS yellow / yellow
DS green / orange
But did you see the actual figures, the blue line.
2pm UV index 9 Red zone
3pm UV index 2 Green zone

8am UV Index 1.5 Green zone
9am UV Index 2.5 Green zone
So, with No DLS:
3pm UV index 2 Green zone
9am UV Index 2.5 Green zone
With Daylight saving
2pm EST (3pm DLS) UV index 9 Red zone
8am EST (9am DLS) UV Index 1.5 Green zone
The maximum UV level for the day was at 13:06 EST, or 14:06 using DLS.

But if we had my 3 hour change idea, it would really stuff things for them, with the maximum UV level for the day, at 10.8, being at 4pm, while they are all outside playing. The actual UV at 4pm EST was just under 1.0

Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm - I'm sure the expected UV levels are based on average conditions under clear skies for that day - it would be safe to assume that other days selected may reveal a different picture.

However as the author of the website seems generally firmly in the opposed camp it's possible this one day was selected to convey a particular message - who can tell?

Perhaps statistics are available to compare skin cancer incidence rates in northern NSW vs southern Qld to see if there is really anything to worry about?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Perhaps statistics are available to compare skin cancer incidence rates in northern NSW vs southern Qld to see if there is really anything to worry about?
From the links shown:
The No Daylight saving group:
http://www.nodaylightsavingqld.com/Faded.htm

We are warned by skin cancer experts to avoid the sun during summer, and during the day’s peak UVR period, between 10 am and 2 pm (11 and 3 on Daylight Saving Time). This is the period when the sun’s rays are at their most direct.

accumulated low-level UVR exposure among children living on a low latitude, in the middle of the day and at the hottest time of the year, constitutes the greatest combination of skin cancer risks possible. For those who are willing to see it, daylight saving — Queensland style — would increase every one of these skin cancer risks permanently, automatically, and on every school day during the daylight saving months.
The Pro Daylight saving group
http://www.ds4seq.org.au/benefits.html

There are numerous benefits to be gained by introducing Daylight Saving into South East Queensland.

Provides an extra hour of daylight in the evening
Reallocating the underutilised hour of sunlight from the early morning, provides for an extra hour of daylight in the evening.

Promotes more of an outdoor lifestyle
More sunlight in the evening allows more time to enjoy the outdoor lifestyle that South East Queensland is known for, and proud of.

Allows for more time for outdoor family activities
The extra sunlight in the evening provides the opportunity to enjoy outdoor family activities, and spend extra time with children, playing sports, etc.

Positive effect on health
As sunsets occur at a later time, Daylight Saving also provides greater safety for evening leisure activities.

Promotes tourism
The ‘extended’ evening daylight would benefit tourism and provide more opportunities for visitors to enjoy the outdoor lifestyle South East Queensland has to offer.
Those are the first five benefits that the "Pro Daylight saving group" show on their benefits page.
The really need to come up with more benefits than variations on the extra hours sunlight.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Hmmm - I'm sure the expected UV levels are based on average conditions under clear skies for that day - it would be safe to assume that other days selected may reveal a different picture.
The estimated maximum levels are shown as maximums, not averages. I don't recall ever seeing the actual exceed the maximum.

If anyone got burnt, on a day that exceeded the maximum, I am sure they would sue the government for providing misleading and dangerously incorrect information

Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Those are the first five benefits that the "Pro Daylight saving group" show on their benefits page.
The really need to come up with more benefits than variations on the extra hours sunlight.
To be honest, it's little wonder that they see they need to emphasise this point - even people who would appear to take a keen interest in the subject seem confused by it.

Take this example:

http://www.daylightsaving.au.com/do-...ue-to-the-sun/

With no daylight saving

You wake up at 5am, and get up, the Sun gets hot at 9:30am

With daylight saving in operation

You wake up at 4am, and get up, the Sun gets hot at 8:30am

...This example seems to show that curtains will fade more…
Getting up at 4am...sounds unpleasant indeed, BUT...

Assuming the wake up times are supposed to coincide with sunrise, and with DLS in operation sunrise would occur at 6am, why would someone get up 2 hours before it?

Similarly the sun would get 'hot' at 10:30am, not 8:30am.

As for the curtains logic, well...

With so many people seemingly confused, it seems to make sense for the proponents to emphasise what is the major benefit of DLS to many. And leave it to the opponents to invent fanciful reasons why DLS shouldn't happen.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We had all this shite last year in WA.
If there is a referendum I doubt that DLS will be implemented.
The government should just bring it in and then live or die by their decision at the next election. We elect them to make decisions on our behalf and if we don't like the results then we vote them out. Unfortunately governments have referendums on trivial issues like this so that 'the people can decide' - basically saying that they are scared to make them themselves.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:34 am
ABCDiamond

To be honest, it's little wonder that they see they need to emphasise this point - even people who would appear to take a keen interest in the subject seem confused by it.

Take this example:

http://www.daylightsaving.au.com/do-...ue-to-the-sun/
It does appear that the hour was put on the wrong side on that one

Maybe a simpler statement would have been to copy this quote:
Actually the curtains do fade more.. not because of extra light, but because parents have to drawn them closed when there is more sun to go, to get the kiddies to go to sleep!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.