Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:16 am
ABCDiamond

Default Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Will QLD be split into Two, so that daylight saving can be brought into effect in the South East, where the majority do actually want it.

In the last referendum 69% of the SE Qld voters, registered 'positive' support for daylight saving as a principle in general.

Peter Wellington, an Independent MP today (April 14th, 2010) proposed in Parliament a motion to split Queensland into two different time zones, so that South-east Queensland can have daylight saving.

Ms Bligh, the Queensland State Premier has now started asking people, via here Twitter account, what their thoughts are, with questions like:

"I'm wondering after 18 years, is it time to give people another say?"

"Queenslanders have never had a say on daylight saving in southeast Queensland only, a split time zone, maybe we should consider - what do you think?"

http://www.daylightsaving.au.com/day...ld-april-2010/

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Anna's changed her tune then....I'm sure she categorically ruled out a split time zone before?

I think they should trial it a la the WA example.

I think she is being a little clever here though as I don't think there is public support for the split timezone, even though the majority both statewide & especially in the SE favour DS. If she can show the majority don't want to split the state she can use that to put the issue to bed (by 8:30pm) .
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

BTW...is this website one of yours?

I think your fading curtains example is wrong.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Will QLD be split into Two, so that daylight saving can be brought into effect in the South East, where the majority do actually want it.

In the last referendum 69% of the SE Qld voters, registered 'positive' support for daylight saving as a principle in general.
I've emailed Anna before and told her I wanted it and got a reply back from her office saying bot off as a small % of neandathalls don't want it you can't have it.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:53 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Anna's changed her tune then....I'm sure she categorically ruled out a split time zone before?

I think she is being a little clever here though as I don't think there is public support for the split timezone, even though the majority both statewide & especially in the SE favour DS. If she can show the majority don't want to split the state she can use that to put the issue to bed (by 8:30pm) .
Mmmmm, I think she said that the whole issue was dead and buried last year, and the year before that, and the year before that etc etc etc.....
Me thinks the ALP spin-doctors have found the perfect reciepe to get Joe Public's mind of her Gov't's cronyism and incompetance. Surprising that it surfaced only a few days after another blunder by the health department.....
Two threads already on the go - the plan is working........
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Mmmmm, I think she said that the whole issue was dead and buried last year, and the year before that, and the year before that etc etc etc.....
Me thinks the ALP spin-doctors have found the perfect reciepe to get Joe Public's mind of her Gov't's cronyism and incompetance. Surprising that it surfaced only a few days after another blunder by the health department.....
Two threads already on the go - the plan is working........
Because to anyone with half a brain it makes sense to do it.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann

Its been so good the last two weeks in the UK with it being daylight till 8.30-9ish - fantastic

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 14th 2010 at 9:12 am.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:12 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I'm all for daylight saving, always have, but I think the issue is being used as a smokescreen. Cynical I know, but we are talking about polllies. They did a daylight saving trial 30 odd years ago, and the same cry was heard then.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Its been so good the last two weeks in the UK with it being daylight till 8.30-9ish - fantastic
It is one of the few UK things I really miss here, as I could be in the garden up till 10 pm in summer or having a drink or bbq outide with mates in the daylight.

Hey, I'm all for daylight saving, always have, but I think the issue is being used as a smokescreen. Cynical I know, but we are talking about polllies. They did a daylight saving trial 30 odd years ago, and the same cry was heard then.
Apologies wasn't saying you disagreed and agree with the fact they are just trying a voter trick to pull them in to keep Captain Anna in power.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:27 am

It is one of the few UK things I really miss here, as I could be in the garden up till 10 pm in summer or having a drink or bbq outide with mates in the daylight.
Really blew me away when I first experienced a UK summer with daylight saving, but not sure whether I'll ever have the opportunity to sample is ever again.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Daylight Saving in South East Queensland

Really blew me away when I first experienced a UK summer with daylight saving, but not sure whether I'll ever have the opportunity to sample is ever again.
You don't have to go as far as the UK - Melbourne has very light evenings in the summer.

Buzzy
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld

The last referendum, in 1992, showed 54.50% voting against it, statewide.

The 2007 Government poll (a telephone survey of 1,000 residents and 600 businesses) of showed:
Page 94 of the final report stated:

Introducing Daylight Saving to one region of the state only?
55% Opposed
27% Supported

Introducing Daylight Saving to South East Queensland only
51% Opposed
35% Supported
33 per cent statewide in favour of dividing the state
41 per cent in SE Queensland in favour of dividing the state

(70% of those asked lived in SE QLD, 30% lived in Rest of QLD)

A newspaper poll, Sunday Mail, 1 July 2007, pages 1 and 5, showed 45% in favour of daylight saving.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:07 am
ABCDiamond

The top three reasons against it are:
  1. Family patterns disrupted: Children won't go to bed in daylight
  2. Climate: Too hot, do not want extra daylight in evening
  3. Agriculture: Issues with changes to patterns/ time for managing crops/stock

Another reason given is being against it on principle, being driven by the negative comments of the Pro daylight saving brigade.

Not many actually mentioned that the children would be leaving school in the red time zone for the dangerous UV levels, compared to the safer Green UV zone at the current school leaving time.

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You don't have to go as far as the UK - Melbourne has very light evenings in the summer.

Buzzy
Been there three weeks ago.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The top three reasons against it are:
  1. Family patterns disrupted: Children won't go to bed in daylight
  2. Climate: Too hot, do not want extra daylight in evening
  3. Agriculture: Issues with changes to patterns/ time for managing crops/stock

Not many actually mentioned that the children would be leaving school in the red time zone for the dangerous UV levels, compared to the safer Green UV zone at the current school leaving time.
Queenslanders need only look to the rest of Australia to see if children elsewhere suffer from this feared insomnia.

As for climate, from my experience in Brisbane, I would far rather it was '1 hour' hotter in the evening when I am able to wear appropriate clothing and relax and choose how active to be. Not '1 hour' hotter in the morning when I have to wear business clothes, get ready for and travel to work. Besides I think this point is moot anyway. Brisbane temperatures often peak early in the day, unlike Melbourne where the hottest part of the day can often be around 5pm.

As discussed before, the flipside of children leaving school in the UV danger zone with DS is that they already arrive at school in the danger zone without DS.

DS opponents may object to being sneered at by DS supporters but the arguments given are often non-sensical or simply not understood...can of course work both ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.