Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Day trips in and around Perth

Day trips in and around Perth

Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Day trips in and around Perth

Hi, me the missus and 10 year old daughter arrive in Perth on the 16th of
August, we'll be spending the first week settling in and sorting out some of
the essentials.
After this we'd like to spend a week or 2 chilling out before work and school start.
With this in mind, could the good folk of this site give some advise as to the best family type things to do.
I'm assuming that the weather wont be great yet, so we might have to wait to do the beach thing, but any other stuff would be much appreciated

Steve
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day trips in and around Perth

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
the essentials.
After this we'd like to spend a week or 2 chilling out before work and school start.
With this in mind, could the good folk of this site give some advise as to the best family type things to do.
I'm assuming that the weather wont be great yet, so we might have to wait to do the beach thing, but any other stuff would be much appreciated

Steve
Catch the train into town to experience the local public transport, then catch the ferry across the river to South Perth and visit the zoo. Stop to sample a local ale at the Windsor Hotel on the walk back to the ferry.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:48 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

- Hop on/hop off tram tour (Perth Tram Company): It goes all over Perth and Kings Park and has a fabulous live commentary. Get on it at Barrack Street Jetty. The tram tour is much miuch better than the double-decker bus tour. It's pricey but you get vouchers to get into other attractions half-price.

- Perth Mint (half-price with voucher from above).

- Swan Bells: time it right and your daughter gets to ring one of the bells (phone before you go to find out what the right time is).

- AQWA at Hillarys.

- If you go to Rottnest do wrap up warm and book yourself on the bus tour. Rottnest is miserable if you're cold (speaking from experience here).

- Caversham Wildlife Park: It's situated in Whiteman Park. If you want to get up close and personal to Australian wildlife then this is better than the zoo. At Cav you can get into the kangaroo enclosure and hand-feed the roos. You can also go in to the koala enclosure and stroke them. And - if you get there at the right time - you can go to see and stroke the wombat and his friend. (Phone before you go to find out when the wombat is scheduled to come out.)

- Captain Cook cruise from Perth to Fremantle (leaves from Barrack Street Jetty). You often see dolphins on this one as well.

- Fremantle Prison daytime tour. (Check website to see if you can do the tunnels tour - there is an age restriction for kids. And you need to pre-book this one whereas you can just turn up for the daytime tour.)

- Rockingham Wildlife Encounter and Penguin Island.

- August is a bit early but from September: Whale watching trips from Hillarys Boat Harbour.

I am being lazy and not looking up all the websites for the above. But just google them.

There is also LOTS more: google is your friend. And visit "tourist information" in Perth.

Have fun!

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Aug 7th 2008 at 8:50 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Caversham Wildlife park is a must......Roo petting!!!!

Freo is fab, the market is great and full of bars and shops.....very ecletic!!!

Cervantis is approx 2-3 hours drive but well worth it as the Pinicales are here, its like star wars very errie!!!!

Bunbury, couple of hours south is good for Dolphin watching.

Cx
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

the essentials.

Steve
We enjoyed Freemantle prison

Have a lovely time, whatever you decide
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

moore river, north of yanchep i think guilderton maybe cant remember but that was a nice day out. about an hours drive from memory
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JPSUPERHOOPER
moore river, north of yanchep i think guilderton maybe cant remember but that was a nice day out. about an hours drive from memory
We found this website very good and you can download their guides/ pick up from Tourist Information when you are there.
http://www.experienceperth.com/en/default.htm
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

cheers guys just what we were after

Will now go and give google some hammer and make a plan of attack

Just out of interest, what can we expect the weather to be like at the end
of August and more importantly when will it be warm enough for me to get
the speedos on and hit the surf
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:34 pm
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile Re: Day trips in and around Perth

oh no not the dreaded speedos! really good thread, we are going to perth on honeymoon in october and will be doing 'stuff' that people have recommended we are hoping to be there this time next year on 175 visa. Hope it is all you expect - enjoy! Diz xx
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

If your going on honeymoon and you have the time, can I suggest you look into flying upto Exmouth and see the Ningaloo Reef.

It was one the best times I have had when on holiday there
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:54 pm
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile Re: Day trips in and around Perth

We are going for 2 weeks so are aiming to cram as much in as we can - we will look into that though if it is really that nice! It has been chaotic organising the wedding (he asked me in June and we are getting married 12th September, everything booked and organised), got TRA together and sent off and have got everything ready for online 175 application. Feel like superwoman! Diz x
Originally Posted by seat151
If your going on honeymoon and you have the time, can I suggest you look into flying upto Exmouth and see the Ningaloo Reef.

Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Diz
oh no not the dreaded speedos! really good thread, we are going to perth on honeymoon in october and will be doing 'stuff' that people have recommended we are hoping to be there this time next year on 175 visa. Hope it is all you expect - enjoy! Diz xx
Cheers Diz and all the best for your for your wedding and honeymoon

Steve
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seat151

And Rottnest Island is beautiful, for either a day or a 2 day trip!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:04 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

cheers guys just what we were after

Will now go and give google some hammer and make a plan of attack

Just out of interest, what can we expect the weather to be like at the end
of August and more importantly when will it be warm enough for me to get
the speedos on and hit the surf
End of August is still winter and temps are cooler and could still be quite rainy. As for the speedos, I am a bit of a girl when it comes to swimming in the ocean and would say that unless you want your knackers to disappear up your arse don't go in the sea until November!!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:20 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am a bit of a girl when it comes to swimming in the ocean and would say that unless you want your knackers to disappear up your arse don't go in the sea until November!!
You're braver than me, C I have not managed to get into the ocean any further than up to my ankles, even in February. The ocean is FREEZING!!!

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.