Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Day trip from Melbourne ?

Day trip from Melbourne ?

Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Day trip from Melbourne ?

Apparently I agreed to work out a suitable day trip from Melbourne for the family this Sunday. Oops.

To keep me in the good books I'd greatly appreciate some advice as to places to visit in/around Melbourne that would be suitable for a 5 year old and a 3 year old. Anywhere within 2.5 hours drive would be fine.

We've been to Werribbee, Healseville, Mornington Peninsula, Ballarat/Sovereign Hill, Red Hill/Arthurs Seat.

Thanks awfully.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:45 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day trip from Melbourne ?

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Apparently I agreed to work out a suitable day trip from Melbourne for the family this Sunday. Oops.

To keep me in the good books I'd greatly appreciate some advice as to places to visit in/around Melbourne that would be suitable for a 5 year old and a 3 year old. Anywhere within 2.5 hours drive would be fine.

We've been to Werribbee, Healseville, Mornington Peninsula, Ballarat/Sovereign Hill, Red Hill/Arthurs Seat.

Thanks awfully.
Have you tried Lorne down the GOR or Puffing Billy.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Have you tried Lorne down the GOR or Puffing Billy.
Fraser - great suggestions. However, I forgot to mention that I did both in the last 2 weeks ! Very enjoyable too.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:57 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Fraser - great suggestions. However, I forgot to mention that I did both in the last 2 weeks ! Very enjoyable too.
Well that's your problem you're spoiling them

Have you been to see the Penguins at Phillip Island.

PS. Do you want to adopt me
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Colin!
Hope you're all well. You have been to a lot of places already! As Fraser suggests, the penguins are good but you'd probably want to stay overnight as they don't come out till dusk. Have you been up to Hanging Rock? Our kids love it there - lots of rocks to climb on, with about half an hour walk up to the top. There's a kids playground and picnic area and we saw some kangaroos there too! It costs $8 to park (you get the ticket before you leave which lets you out). We've now got an annual ticket cos we go so often!

Alternatively have you been to Melbourne Museum or Scienceworks? Both are good for the kids.

Ruth
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:11 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Just a thought I'm sure I've read in the MX or something recently... Isn't it 'schoolies week'? If it is believe that Lorne/ Queenscliff and poss others are best to avoid?

You may not have heard of this tradition yet with being pretty new to the country but I believe it's like (the not nice areas) of Ibiza or Corfu "uncut". Don't think the little ones would enjoy that much!!

Phillip Island is lovely I can recommend a nice motel type place if you stay over after staying up late to see the penquins. playground, swimming pool, walk to the restaurant- stumble home.

Louise
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Have you been to the werribee open range zoo? Sorry, I know you said werribee but wasn't sure if this included the zoo. Anyway, it's really good
Old Nov 18th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to:-
adventure park

If you want a cheaper day out what about going to a pick your own! Tons of fun and you come back with the goodies.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought of Emerald lake park. Heaps of space and peddle boats etc... You will need to check if the water slides are open at this time of year.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions - will propose Hanging Rock and Gumbuya Park as possibles. Will claim the credit but blame BE if they don't enjoy it !
Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne Aquarium
Scienceworks and Museum as mentioned
Rialto Observation Deck
Fairy Park, Anakie nr the You Yangs
Walhalla, Gippsland (old gold mining town), stop at Yarragon en-route
Trentham/Trentham Falls and Daylesford/Hepburn Springs
Ferry from Sorrento across to Queenscliff, see both Peninsulas
Or the other way around, drive down and take in Eastern Beach Geelong, on to Queenscliff, ferry across to Sorrento.

OzTennis
Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Melbourne Aquarium
Scienceworks and Museum as mentioned
Rialto Observation Deck
Fairy Park, Anakie nr the You Yangs
Walhalla, Gippsland (old gold mining town), stop at Yarragon en-route
Trentham/Trentham Falls and Daylesford/Hepburn Springs
Ferry from Sorrento across to Queenscliff, see both Peninsulas
Or the other way around, drive down and take in Eastern Beach Geelong, on to Queenscliff, ferry across to Sorrento.

OzTennis
We went to fairy Park in Anakie when we first got here (sept 2003) blooming heck it was cold and windy. We stuggled outside trying to have a birthday party for my eldest.. never realised that they had a free indoors BBQ / party room till we was leaving... had a fab day though. Maybe worth going to on Sunday

Other things to do if you are game is horse riding... we are going for our first bush ride next weekend. Best suited for the kids aged over 7 however.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
We went to fairy Park in Anakie when we first got here (sept 2003) blooming heck it was cold and windy. We stuggled outside trying to have a birthday party for my eldest.. never realised that they had a free indoors BBQ / party room till we was leaving... had a fab day though. Maybe worth going to on Sunday

Other things to do if you are game is horse riding... we are going for our first bush ride next weekend. Best suited for the kids aged over 7 however.
Yep, we went one July with my nieces and had a great day and an indoor BBQ lunch. It can be tied in with other places eg Werribee mansion and zoo or You Yangs, Bacchus Marsh, even Geelong.

OzTennis
Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we went one July with my nieces and had a great day and an indoor BBQ lunch. It can be tied in with other places eg Werribee mansion and zoo or You Yangs, Bacchus Marsh, even Geelong.

OzTennis
You Yangs is excellent! Walked up to Flinders Peak last week - both my two (aged 3 and 6) managed it no problems. Not been to Fairy Park yet, must try that sometime. Have been to Anakie Gorge and spotted some koalas during a lovely easy walk along the gorge.
Ruth
Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

OzTennis
Whats to do at the You Yangs?

I still haven't done the zoo yet and that's after 2 years!! bloomin garden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.