Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Day Light Savings not far away now....

Wikiposts

Day Light Savings not far away now....

Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day Light Savings not far away now....

Originally Posted by Hels
Looks like you all need to get on to your friendly local Coalition MP's and tell them.....

Afraid they wont be nearly as sofistimicated as you are tho...
You're not kidding! I've met people here who really BELIEVE the cows will get confused, furniture fade, chickens stop laying etc.
When I mentioned we have Daylight Saving in the UK, someone asked me how the British cope when there is no milk.........
Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:27 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I was living in Brissy when they had the Daylight Saves Referendum. It was just bizarre the reasons some of the more "simple folk" gave for not voting it in.

Things like confusing the cows etc. Also the hour of extra daylight would fade curtains/furniture/carpet etc.

Honestly, it was a JOKE that people could be so ignorant...but then it is Qld....
A (Canadian) guy at work was discussing this with his aussie in-laws the other day and they told him they voted against daylight saving and were laughing because it messed up the farmers (hahaha ) When he pressed them for an actual reason, they said "well it would be expensive wouldn't it. I mean everyone would have to start work an hour earlier so their days would be longer" .........

Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You're not kidding! I've met people here who really BELIEVE the cows will get confused, furniture fade, chickens stop laying etc.
When I mentioned we have Daylight Saving in the UK, someone asked me how the British cope when there is no milk.........

Yup...they be the "Joh Brigade" hehe.....
Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wmoore
A (Canadian) guy at work was discussing this with his aussie in-laws the other day and they told him they voted against daylight saving and were laughing because it messed up the farmers (hahaha ) When he pressed them for an actual reason, they said "well it would be expensive wouldn't it. I mean everyone would have to start work an hour earlier so their days would be longer" .........

I am telling ya....people up there are like this because Sir Joh kept them in the dark and fed them on bullshit for so many years they still havent got over the thrust into the 21st Century...hehe
Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:32 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Looks like you all need to get on to your friendly local Coalition MP's and tell them.....

Afraid they wont be nearly as sofistimicated as you are tho...
Hey, maybe I'll be an MP or even get on the Gold Coast City Council, all the qualification you need is a propensity to take backhanders from the developers

Slater
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:18 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i'm actually all for daylight savings in queensland, but it was pointed out to me that the schoolkids lunch break would put them out into the hottest, most dangerous uv levels for skin cancer part of the day, instead of an hour earlier. i think it does make sense for a SEQ zone and and rest of queensland zone. after all broken hill in NSW runs on SA time......

and strangely, if you go to kingscliffe in northern NSW, a lot of the shops have signs saying they run on QLD time during DST!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChadW
Just out of interest what are the daylight hours like say in the north and south of Oz compared to the UK?

Are they the same for the winter and summer seasons or are the days just generally 'longer' ALL year round down there?

While I am down there, the clocks go back in the UK and due to travelling in 2 different time zonex in Oz (one of which has daylight saving as discussed above) then I now that things are goning to get well complicated!
When you get to the higher (or lower) latitudes, further from the equator; in Summer the days get longer and the nights get shorter; in Winter it is the other way around.

The closer to the equator you get the more even the days and nights are.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Victorian days in Winter are shorter and in Summer are longer than in Qld, around 2,000 km and much further north (or closer to the Equator)

Or London (@ approx 51' 30"N) has longer Summer days than Melbourne (@37' 48"S) does as London is 13 degrees (approx 900 nautical miles= approx 1280 miles = approx 2,000 km) further from the equator than Melbourne. Simple ain't it :-)
Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:45 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Its actually really good to see its back on the agenda again. Some guy for some party was banging on about it on TV last night (you can tell I follow politics closely ). And I've read a few things in the Courier Mail.

I'm guessing they'll have a vote on it again in the next two years. If so, can we have the pro daylight lobby get a decent slogan like "F**k the cows, I'd like to see my garden in daylight between Monday and Friday"

Catchy huh?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Its actually really good to see its back on the agenda again. Some guy for some party was banging on about it on TV last night (you can tell I follow politics closely ). And I've read a few things in the Courier Mail.

I'm guessing they'll have a vote on it again in the next two years. If so, can we have the pro daylight lobby get a decent slogan like "F**k the cows, I'd like to see my garden in daylight between Monday and Friday"

Catchy huh?
I like it You have that one, and I'll have "Ferk the Fading Furniture, I like long evenings!"
Old Oct 12th 2005, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

ChadW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ialibu
When you get to the higher (or lower) latitudes, further from the equator; in Summer the days get longer and the nights get shorter; in Winter it is the other way around.

The closer to the equator you get the more even the days and nights are.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Victorian days in Winter are shorter and in Summer are longer than in Qld, around 2,000 km and much further north (or closer to the Equator)

Or London (@ approx 51' 30"N) has longer Summer days than Melbourne (@37' 48"S) does as London is 13 degrees (approx 900 nautical miles= approx 1280 miles = approx 2,000 km) further from the equator than Melbourne. Simple ain't it :-)
Er, yeah easy peasy mate!

Just wondering what it would be in real terms as I know nearer the equator the more even it is, just wondered how much it would be for the different ends of Oz as it were.

So that means that winter days in Melbourne are longer than Londons?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChadW
Er, yeah easy peasy mate!

Just wondering what it would be in real terms as I know nearer the equator the more even it is, just wondered how much it would be for the different ends of Oz as it were.

So that means that winter days in Melbourne are longer than Londons?
Yep, or to put it another way, London's Winter days are shorter than Melbourne's, as London is further from the Equator than Melbourne.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Catchy huh?
And THAT my friend...is illegal:scared:

You wouldn't see ANY daylight if you tried that out here
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
And THAT my friend...is illegal:scared:

You wouldn't see ANY daylight if you tried that out here

Geez woman!!! Dont you know thats how the re-populated most of Darwin after the Cyclone???

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:17 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Catchy huh?
Try New Zealand then!

A migrant walks into a bar in New Zealand and orders a shandy.

All the Kiwis sitting around the bar look up, expecting to see another
Australian visitor.

The barman says, "You ain't from around here, are ya?"

The guy says, "No, I'm from Canada."

The bartender says, "What do you do in Canada?"

The guy says, "I'm a taxidermist."

The bartender says, "A tixidermist? What the hick is a tixidermist? Do
you drive a tixi?"

"No, a taxidermist doesn't drive a taxi. I mount animals."

The bartender grins and yells, "He's okay boys. He's one of us."

Slater
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Can someone explain the daylight saving thingy please. Is it like our clocks moving back and forward?

We will leave the UK on the day the clocks go back, arrive in Brisbane for 3 days and then travel to Grafton in NSW. Will this be a bit confusing for us with different time zones??