Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Day or Evening Flight - Malaysia Airlines

Day or Evening Flight - Malaysia Airlines

Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:22 am
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Default Day or Evening Flight - Malaysia Airlines

Hi. We are about to book our first long haul flight to go to Oz in the next two weeks. Initially we wanted to go with Singapore Airlines as they seem to get a good write up on BE unfortunately the first flight is not until 20 February. Therefore we've been looking at Malaysia Airlines.

Our questions are:

For a frightened flyer travelling for the first time on a long haul flight - which is better - day or night flights?

Anyone used Malaysia Airlines before - what do you think of them?

Look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Ali X
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:35 am
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all
Default Re: Day or Evening Flight - Malaysia Airlines

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi. We are about to book our first long haul flight to go to Oz in the next two weeks. Initially we wanted to go with Singapore Airlines as they seem to get a good write up on BE unfortunately the first flight is not until 20 February. Therefore we've been looking at Malaysia Airlines.

Our questions are:

For a frightened flyer travelling for the first time on a long haul flight - which is better - day or night flights?

Ali X
I came over with Malaysia Airlines, they were brilliant. I would definitely recommend them, more leg room, nothing was too much trouble. We flew out of Manchester at 8pm so slept part of the way, spent 6 hours at Kuala Lumpur airport (not recommended) then flew the rest of the way and slept again. Pretty great journey apart from the 6 hours of doing nothing in KL.

Good luck
Old Jan 20th 2007, 8:49 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

34" leg pitch instead of 32" in economy makes them a good airline. Excellent staff and generally very good indeed as airlines go.

Bearing in mind that you'll actually be travelling for more than 24 hours it makes very little difference really. Your gonna sleep through one of them. So check the ARRIVAL time in Australa. Your gonna have two flights so if the arrival time is in the morning then stay awake, watch movies and so on for the first flight and sleep the second to arrive having had some sleep and in the time zone already.

If arriving in the evening then sleep on the first flight and then watch movies on the second. That way you might a tired enough to get some sleep when you arrive.

Thats how I do it anyway and never really had jetlag (dont start that debate please folks). If I need to get some sleep a couple of classes of wine do the trick nicely lol.

Oh last thing. If you have a few hours to kill in KL then make use of it and have a shower, something to eat and relax at the Plaza Lounge http://www.malaysiasite.nl/loungeng.htm it costs a whole $18US and frankly I've been in far worse business class lounges. Means you dont have to sit in the main terminal on hard plastic chairs for a few hours
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Our questions are:

Ali X

Ali,

I have been four times and do not ask me to justify it but Night flights are the best. The plane tends to be quieter because you follow the night, you arrive to Singapore / HK or an nother refuel location in time for evening wash and brush up, another night sleep and you arrive early morning NORMALLY.

I would always choose night flights, generally easier to sleep as there is far less noise and others are doing the same, flight goes quicker somehow?

My opinion only,

Cheryl
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Ali,

I have been four times and do not ask me to justify it but Night flights are the best. The plane tends to be quieter because you follow the night, you arrive to Singapore / HK or an nother refuel location in time for evening wash and brush up, another night sleep and you arrive early morning NORMALLY.

I would always choose night flights, generally easier to sleep as there is far less noise and others are doing the same, flight goes quicker somehow?

My opinion only,

Cheryl
All flights travelling east to Australia fly into the night.

If you leave the UK in the morning, assuming you dont have too long a stop-over en route, you arrive in Australia in the evening and you fly through one 'night'.

If you leave the UK in the evening, assuming you don't have too long a stop-over en route, you arrive in Australia in the morning and you fly through two 'nights'.

The only decision you need to make is whether you want your 'night' as soon as you depart - or after you've been airborne for a while.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysian are a great airline - good staff, lots of legroom.

Whatever you do, do yourself a favour and stop off overnight in KL to ease your transition between timezones. The Pan Pacific hotel is right in the airport and is extremely nice and bloody cheap.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:42 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Malaysian are a great airline - good staff, lots of legroom.

Whatever you do, do yourself a favour and stop off overnight in KL to ease your transition between timezones. The Pan Pacific hotel is right in the airport and is extremely nice and bloody cheap.

Evening... bit of a warm one today in the Illawarra.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
34" leg pitch instead of 32" in economy makes them a good airline. Excellent staff
............and the girly air hostesses have crackin bottoms well after 9 hours in the aile (sp) seat you do notice these things

Ian

Ps Centurion I'm going to ring you in the morning for a chat
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:35 am
him
token local

him has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura abouthim has a spectacular aura about

Our questions are:

Ali X
We have used Malaysian, Singapore, Emirates and JAL.
I believe that Malaysian have upgraded their aircraft since we last flew with them which may put them in the same level as Emirates and Singapore.
From memory day vs night flight may mean a longer stop or even an overnight stop at KL. It is down to you and which connections work out best, but I would strongly recommend that if you have more than 1 hour at KL to hire a shower room.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dizzillusioned
I came over with Malaysia Airlines, they were brilliant. I would definitely recommend them, more leg room, nothing was too much trouble. We flew out of Manchester at 8pm so slept part of the way, spent 6 hours at Kuala Lumpur airport (not recommended) then flew the rest of the way and slept again. Pretty great journey apart from the 6 hours of doing nothing in KL.

Good luck
KL airport is great to spend time in, just go to the transit hotel (on site) and book a room for a few hours (really cheap hourly rate), have a nice shower, stretch yiur limbs and watch some TV!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:44 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your advice. We've booked our flights today - fly out with Malaysia Airlines on 10 February only cost £522 each - a bargain! Can't wait.

Ali X
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:18 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your advice. We've booked our flights today - fly out with Malaysia Airlines on 10 February only cost £522 each - a bargain! Can't wait.

Ali X
Great price guys, and I can confirm that in my experience Malaysian are an excellent airline.

Who'd you book through??

Graham
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:27 am
We're here and it's fab

Hiya

Booked with Durham Teesside Airport (BMI) for flight from Teesside to Heathrow - £70. Then booked direct with Malaysia Airlines for Heathrow to Brisbane flight (stopping in Kuala Lumpur) - £452.

Have spent weeks searching the internet and this was the cheapest flight I've seen so far.

Ali X
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:41 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Booked with Durham Teesside Airport (BMI) for flight from Teesside to Heathrow - £70. Then booked direct with Malaysia Airlines for Heathrow to Brisbane flight (stopping in Kuala Lumpur) - £452.

Have spent weeks searching the internet and this was the cheapest flight I've seen so far.

Ali X
You won't get much better than that. Top surfing technique!!

Graham
Old Jan 21st 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Ali X
Hope they're good. We fly out on 10th February to Brissie too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.