Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daughter wants to be Hairdresser in Oz.

Daughter wants to be Hairdresser in Oz.

Old Aug 21st 2005, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of
Default Daughter wants to be Hairdresser in Oz.

My daughter having recently finished school has got herself a job as a trainee hairdresser in anticipation of our move to Oz and the fact that they are in demand there.

Hopefully going to Adelaide on a 137 Visa (although we also easily qualify for a 136 too) and would really like some advice on what her next steps would be when we arrive hopefully in Jan '06. Could she start straight away in college and work in a salon too? How do apprentiships work in Oz, same as the UK (1 day release in college) ?

She will have only had about 6-8 months experience but she is very keen to keep everything going as soon as she arrives.

When does the school year start and would she have to apply/enrol months in advance?

Cheers in Advance,
Ian.

Last edited by skyblue; Aug 21st 2005 at 11:13 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Daughter wants to be Hairdresser in Oz.

Originally Posted by skyblue
My daughter having recently finished school has got herself a job as a trainee hairdresser in anticipation of our move to Oz and the fact that they are in demand there.

Hopefully going to Adelaide on a 137 Visa (although we also easily qualify for a 136 too) and would really like some advice on what her next steps would be when we arrive hopefully in Jan '06. Could she start straight away in college and work in a salon too? How do apprentiships work in Oz, same as the UK (1 day release in college) ?

She will have only had about 6-8 months experience but she is very keen to keep everything going as soon as she arrives.

When does the school year start and would she have to apply/enrol months in advance?

Cheers in Advance,
Ian.

Hi Ian,

I trained as a hairdresser here in oz, in the school I trained at they took students from the age of 15 upwards, she could do a course like that, which is a 1 year full time course, but douesn't get paid while on the course. or she could go round all the salons asking for a job and start as a 1st year, they will pay her wages (very very little) and they should send her to college 1 day a week. You should contact the local TAFE (college) in the area you will be living, she could do the 1 year course and get a salon job on a thursday night and weekends. But if she would rather have some money every week she is probably better opting to get a job and letting them send her to college for 1 day a week, but this can take 4 years until she's qualified, if she does the 1 year course she would graduate as a 3rd year apprentice.

Good luck

Lisa
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of
Default Re: Daughter wants to be Hairdresser in Oz.

Hiya Lisa,

thanks for your response.

Just the info I was looking for.I think the best option would be the one which gives her more hands on experience as I think experience is more important than the qualifications.

Saying that which would you suggest, 1 day per week at college and the rest learning in a salon with little pay or does the 1 year course give you enough intense training ?

Cheers,
Ian.
Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Hi Ian,

I trained as a hairdresser here in oz, in the school I trained at they took students from the age of 15 upwards, she could do a course like that, which is a 1 year full time course, but douesn't get paid while on the course. or she could go round all the salons asking for a job and start as a 1st year, they will pay her wages (very very little) and they should send her to college 1 day a week. You should contact the local TAFE (college) in the area you will be living, she could do the 1 year course and get a salon job on a thursday night and weekends. But if she would rather have some money every week she is probably better opting to get a job and letting them send her to college for 1 day a week, but this can take 4 years until she's qualified, if she does the 1 year course she would graduate as a 3rd year apprentice.

Good luck

Lisa