Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daughter doesn't want to move!

Daughter doesn't want to move!

Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:48 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter doesn't want to move!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
No, i paid for her to get back. But she did want to come back to see us in OZ and expected us to pay for her. I said no. She's 17 now and works, so she will have to pay her own way from now on.
Excellent Nu
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Well I thought I would just let you know that my daughter has had a total turnaround!! I cannot believe it!

I talk about Australia with my son all the time. He is always going on about joining cricket and soccer clubs and says he is really excited. While we where having one of these conversations my daughter starts joining in. I nearly fell on the floor!
I had a chat with her and told her I am nervous about the move but it will be fun at the same time. She totally accepts this and says she is going to make friends with new kids so I can make friends with their parents.

Kids, eh.

Jo
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joeyb
Well I thought I would just let you know that my daughter has had a total turnaround!! I cannot believe it!

I talk about Australia with my son all the time. He is always going on about joining cricket and soccer clubs and says he is really excited. While we where having one of these conversations my daughter starts joining in. I nearly fell on the floor!
I had a chat with her and told her I am nervous about the move but it will be fun at the same time. She totally accepts this and says she is going to make friends with new kids so I can make friends with their parents.

Kids, eh.

Jo
Hi Jo,

I'm really happy for you - doesn't it just show you how fickle kids can be?!

It also shows us all as parents that we need to be assertive and possitive about the descisions we make for our children. Or they'd have us changing our minds like yo yo's. TBH my eldest's biggest reservations were around fear and he was 21!

Get in touch when you get the QLD.

Tracey
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

What a huge relief it must be for her to 'come around'. I don't believe she would blackmail you, more that she was worried about leaving the security of everything here and panicking (most of us can relate to that, so imagine what it's like when you are that young).

We are so lucky that our 7 year old is desperate to go (she had a whale of a time on the reccie). I think she believes that it's going to be dolphin swims and beaches all the time and whilst I do try introducing realities like school she is still looking forward to it. One thing that we've found good is using the library and internet to do research about where we plan to live. Local facilities, schools websites (she is intrigued by the bush hats they wear to school), activities, houses etc which she is really loving. We are also going to look nearer the time at approaching the school we intend to send her to and fixing up an internet pen pal type arrangment with kids already there so that they know each other a bit before we arrive. Not sure how it's going to play out as it's just the seed of a thought at the moment, but anything is worth a try.

It's also worth making sure that you aren't having second thoughts or a nervy time at the moment and are reflecting it on to her/she's picking it up from you

Condolences on the death of your mum; that must be hard for all of you. I don't know if it's what you want to hear but experiencing death at very close quarters can suddenly make life much more precious and can be turned into a right 'let's go for it attitude'. Life, as they say, really is too short. Think long term and one day she'll love you even more for it.

Good luck to you all
Lorraine
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

dnex721 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=joeyb;6882019]We have been planning our move to Oz for a couple of years now.

We were due to go over in June this year but unfortunately my mum unexpectedly passed away in January so we decided to put everything on hold so I could support my Dad.

We are now looking at moving in February but we have hit a hurdle. Our 9 year old daughter!!
She has had a total change of heart and will not even entertain talking about the move. I have just even tried to bribe her with getting a laptop and web cam so she can keep in touch with her friends. But its still a no.

I don't want to force her into this but, on the other hand, the rest of us are really up for it.

Hi

I have a 17 year old same problem -- but to be blunt 9 year old has no say really , she will love it when you get there i'm sure

but at 9 she goes where you go end of -- saying that i do feel for you
my 17 makes me feel aweful about it but i'm sure it will all work out for the best,,, can you get her to join in on the forum and be part of it help understand better ... maybe share tasks to research things on internet that would interest her -- maybe skpe free calls to all her mates etc etc

Take Care - chin up
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joeyb

Kids, eh.

Jo
i can assure you your daughter won't have any problems especially at that age, she will adapt easily
i've never once heard of kids that young not being able to settle in
it does happen with older ones(teenagers), but 9 year olds? no way
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there

my 9 year old daughter was exactly the same - its hard i know but keep talking about it in general conversation - lol mine kept saying "im not going" but we just ignored it - she soon came to realise that was the plan and that was whats going to happen.

even when we got here, when she had a paddy she said she was calling relies in england to bring her back but that soon faded

grit your teeth - after all its for a (potencially) better future for her

we have settled in canberra now (since july) and she has only mensioned going back once - she has made lots of friends and has adjusted very well

hope that gives you peace of mind good luck