Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dating scene in Australia- what are your thoughts?

Dating scene in Australia- what are your thoughts?

Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:44 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dating scene in Australia- what are your thoughts?

Originally Posted by donna
Come on lets not tar every Aussie with the same brush.I dont know where you lot go but I have lots of Aussie couples as friends and they are certainly not like that
so have we
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have little signs on your desk saying things like "You don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps"?
Now I think about it.....(controversial):

All the blokes on the 7th floor who are all in to hardware, networks, and desktop are all into custom cubicles, beer fridges, 4x4, Gilbert, cartoons and are all fairly rigdy-didge - it would be fair to say.

All the management/software guys 2 floors up are all into the Arts, like to read, have no junk on their desks at all - can hold a conversation, are certainly not typically Australian, or Brit....

If a male was to work on these teams they would find them very different - and how they would fit in would depend on their personality.

I think styles of work do play a part...hardware is diagnostic, software is more creative.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by virginiec
Have been on the dating scene here in Perth for the last few months.

Have found a surprising number of differences to the scene in the UK:

- Maybe its the FIFO workers but there are a definite lack of available guys here

- Aussie guys are a lot more blokey but less refined than their UK counterparts

- Ausssie women are a lot more forward than their Uk counterparts

Would be good to have some other opinions on this
i think it depends on the area
i found the girls in kent a lot more forward than here, and lost count of the number of times i got into a discussion about sex with girls i didn't even know
that would never happen round here
i think the really boganish types here might be more forward, but when your talking about in general it's the other way around these days
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hey guys - another factor - many of you are single and that makes you inclined to over-analyse things - it's the angst of the singleton and I remember being there and doing that. Then when I met my wife, half British, it was all academic...Cockney, after my year in Australia and dating I remember vividly thinking there were several cliches of Brit/Australian women. I found the worst Brit women the loudest and most obnoxious, (well to avoid) and the quietest Australian girls the most fustrating. In between, both Australian and Brit girls had their plus and minuses. To generalise, I found Australian girls slightly more well-rounded (steady!) especially if they were well educated, and British girls a bit high-maintenance (in a sort of contrived way) but there was not much in it. But it depends on who you hang out with. I would admire the same qualities in both a British and Australian woman. I like well educated Australian women, particularly if that is coupled with a sporting or agricultural background as they are fairly gegarious, self-sufficient and handy.
good post
i don't really know yet what i would prefer in the long term sense, but for flings or as mates i prefer the pommy girls cos it just seems like they can relate better to typical male humour/banter, and have a better sense of humour
aussie girls though seem more honest and deep down nicer IF you get to know them, but harder to get to know
i think a lot could relate to what i'm saying here
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Aussie girls can be so naughty when away from home seem to find a sense of liberation being away from home shores.
Why should this be so?
i don't even need to mention the brit girls in ibiza and faliraki!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

one thing you need to consider when talking about the arrogance of Aussie women is that when they are teenagers the demographics of the OZ dating scene give them a ratio of at leat 2 to one male to female ratio in their favour.

That is a result of the high number of very conservative ethnic groups that live here in big numbers. When I was younger and playing the dating scene, there were large number of Greek and Italian migrants. Their young women were kept under very strict control, with the intention of marrying them off to someone of their own race as a virgin. Meanwhile their sons were allowed to screw around with Aussie women as long as they didn't actually marry them.

It was great for Aussie women to be chased by so many men. I would go to some dances in the 60's where there would be something like five males to each female, and the only thing you were likely to get was a fight.

I think you would see a similar situation today with the groups like Lebanese and Pakistanis. The young women are veiled and have to be chaperoned when they go out. Arranged marriages are not uncommon often to suitors brought from the old country. Meanwhile the young Lebanese men cruise around in hot cars picking up the "skip" women for casual sex. One of their leading religious leaders called Aussie women "cat meat". Aussie women have always been suckers for exotic men. Anything to avoid the boring old "boy next door" fellow Aussie.

So young Aussie women are spoilt for choice with loads of men chasing them and its no wonder they get delusions of grandeur.

Give me a good Kiwi women or a hot ladette from London anyday.

Last edited by UncleKev; Apr 14th 2009 at 8:40 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:50 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UncleKev
Meanwhile the young Lebanese men cruise around in hot cars picking up the "skip" women for casual sex. .
picking up or taking?

hot ladette from London anyday.
I would go for a nice Aussie country girl any day.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:26 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Be prepared to do scrapbooking, knitting, home-making, sewing on buttons, cooking dinner from fresh ingredients every night...........then you'll find loads of blokes that want you.
If I was ever to end up single in Aus I would be taking a vow to stay that way, cos unless you are the sort of wife that fitted "UK Male 1950", you haven't a hope.
You didn't mention "Quilting" - an omission, or don't you need quilts up in the flooding state?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
You didn't mention "Quilting" - an omission, or don't you need quilts up in the flooding state?

I've heard it mentioned by people at work who are far more domesticated than me - I don't know one end of a needle from the other I did work with someone who went to "quilting parties" and I had a friend once who was passionate about scrapbooking, used to produce one for every event in her childs life.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yet others can't stand the banter they do get.....

I get the train back from work with my team ldr who lives just down the road and I was just saying to the Missus how much we enjoy each other's company and dry humour. It's a laugh at work, and a laugh on the commute.
Sounds like life is a laugh all round.Envious.......and at work and all...Good on yer Badge.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help but feel that people overseas and away generally behave like that. I remember some Brits acting the same when they (we) were overseas and working in an exciting environment....Look at the backpackers in Bondi etc. Of course, the travellers will have some degree of independence or they would not leave in the first place.
Actually did notice a frau or two stumbling around on the Costa Del Sol in a dazed state with English accents displaying a rather elated sense of independence while expressing a loving feeling for the male gender in close proxcimity.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

one thing you need to consider when talking about the arrogance of Aussie women is that when they are teenagers the demographics of the OZ dating scene give them a ratio of at leat 2 to one male to female ratio in their favour.

That is a result of the high number of very conservative ethnic groups that live here in big numbers. When I was younger and playing the dating scene, there were large number of Greek and Italian migrants. Their young women were kept under very strict control, with the intention of marrying them off to someone of their own race as a virgin. Meanwhile their sons were allowed to screw around with Aussie women as long as they didn't actually marry them.

It was great for Aussie women to be chased by so many men. I would go to some dances in the 60's where there would be something like five males to each female, and the only thing you were likely to get was a fight.

I think you would see a similar situation today with the groups like Lebanese and Pakistanis. The young women are veiled and have to be chaperoned when they go out. Arranged marriages are not uncommon often to suitors brought from the old country. Meanwhile the young Lebanese men cruise around in hot cars picking up the "skip" women for casual sex. One of their leading religious leaders called Aussie women "cat meat". Aussie women have always been suckers for exotic men. Anything to avoid the boring old "boy next door" fellow Aussie.

So young Aussie women are spoilt for choice with loads of men chasing them and its no wonder they get delusions of grandeur.

Give me a good Kiwi women or a hot ladette from London anyday.
i can see what you mean about ladettes - you can say whatever you want around them and they are far more fun loving and open
better than the boring vacant types who act all prudish and think they are classy because of it
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've heard it mentioned by people at work who are far more domesticated than me - I don't know one end of a needle from the other I did work with someone who went to "quilting parties" and I had a friend once who was passionate about scrapbooking, used to produce one for every event in her childs life.
No hope for me then I jsut made my first ever scrapbook for my sons 21st birthday Does this mean i am now on the slippery slope I have pretty much given up on the dating scene anyway - too bloody complicated
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daunted
No hope for me then I jsut made my first ever scrapbook for my sons 21st birthday Does this mean i am now on the slippery slope I have pretty much given up on the dating scene anyway - too bloody complicated
i just think about having fun, but then again it's easier for men eh?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

I have recently been watching old episodes of Man About the House on Foxtel. I had forgotten how madly in love I used to be with Paula Wilcox. I would have done anything to be the man about the house with her in it. (She is still looking pretty hot today). A great example of the classic "English Rose".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph...92_683774e.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...01_468x562.jpg

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/rsz/...1/18949923.jpg