Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Darwin - what can you tell me about it?

Darwin - what can you tell me about it?

Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of
Default Darwin - what can you tell me about it?

Partner is a pom and loves the heat (which I find odd considering he comes from England), I am a kiwi and just whatever is good for me.

Anyway, we moved to Sydney (from NZ) a year ago. Its all well and good, enjoying it blah blah blah. There are some downsides, its bloody expensive, trafic is ridiculous, the beaches are crowded - we can't really have the nice "laidback" lifestyle we are used to.

So, we have been thinking about moving up to Darwin and I have done a bit of research and it looks OK....the heat (mainly humidity) looks like it can get excessive but if you have air con and a pool who cares about that.

Darwin looks like it might fit our kinda style in regards to being a bit more laidback, and being able to take the dogs somewhere "deserted" (in NZ you can go down to the beach with them and there might often be noone else there), and going for a fish without having to drive 2 hours out of the city etc etc

But what about snakes and crocs and stuff - do you get those in your back yard and how often (I have two dogs, one who is tiny and I dont want being swallowed)?

Houses look pretty cheap for what you get - have looked at a few houses online (for renting at this stage) and seem to be able to get something with air con and a pool where pets are allowed for $500 or so but what are the good areas?

Is there a hospital? I am assuming there is but what sort of standard is the care?

Can you go swimming at the beaches or is that not a good idea?

What is the fishing (surfcasting) like?

Education - what are the schools like? We have a 10 year old daughter and have decided that once she starts high school, there is no moving so we want somewhere with decent schools once she starts.

Are there many things to do in or around Darwin?

Is the rental market like a bit competition like it is in Sydney?

Have you lived in Darwin before and where else have you lived? How doe sit compare?

Or...should we just f%67 off Darwin and go to Perth?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Darwin - what can you tell me about it?

Originally Posted by bananalana
Partner is a pom and loves the heat (which I find odd considering he comes from England), I am a kiwi and just whatever is good for me.

Anyway, we moved to Sydney (from NZ) a year ago. Its all well and good, enjoying it blah blah blah. There are some downsides, its bloody expensive, trafic is ridiculous, the beaches are crowded - we can't really have the nice "laidback" lifestyle we are used to.

So, we have been thinking about moving up to Darwin and I have done a bit of research and it looks OK....the heat (mainly humidity) looks like it can get excessive but if you have air con and a pool who cares about that.

Darwin looks like it might fit our kinda style in regards to being a bit more laidback, and being able to take the dogs somewhere "deserted" (in NZ you can go down to the beach with them and there might often be noone else there), and going for a fish without having to drive 2 hours out of the city etc etc

But what about snakes and crocs and stuff - do you get those in your back yard and how often (I have two dogs, one who is tiny and I dont want being swallowed)?

Houses look pretty cheap for what you get - have looked at a few houses online (for renting at this stage) and seem to be able to get something with air con and a pool where pets are allowed for $500 or so but what are the good areas?

Is there a hospital? I am assuming there is but what sort of standard is the care?

Education - what are the schools like? We have a 10 year old daughter and have decided that once she starts high school, there is no moving so we want somewhere with decent schools once she starts.

Have you lived in Darwin before and where else have you lived? How doe sit compare?

We arrive in Darwin in june, they have a private hospital and a public hospital, a university and plenty of schools , depending on what area you want to locate to will depend on the standard of schools there are, the same as many places really.
The one thing that has shocked me has been the price of properties. WE are lucky in that housing is covered more orless by my OH's employer.
Ive got freinds from geordie land who have lived in Darwin since Sept and they told me to think of London prices when it comes to buying anything.
there are plenty of things to do and places to visit in the top end.
the websites i have been using for research are
http//www.whatsondarwin.com/info/topten.html night life etc
http//www.theterritory.com.au/ living in darwin and further links of this
http//www.casuarinasquare.com.au/contents.aspx? shopping centre information
I hope the links work its been a while since ive copied stuff on a website
Mandy
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
We arrive in Darwin in june, they have a private hospital and a public hospital, a university and plenty of schools , depending on what area you want to locate to will depend on the standard of schools there are, the same as many places really.
The one thing that has shocked me has been the price of properties. WE are lucky in that housing is covered more orless by my OH's employer.
Ive got freinds from geordie land who have lived in Darwin since Sept and they told me to think of London prices when it comes to buying anything.
there are plenty of things to do and places to visit in the top end.
the websites i have been using for research are
http//www.whatsondarwin.com/info/topten.html night life etc
http//www.theterritory.com.au/ living in darwin and further links of this
http//www.casuarinasquare.com.au/contents.aspx? shopping centre information
I hope the links work its been a while since ive copied stuff on a website
Mandy
Great - thanks for those links. I will have a look.

I thought house prices were quite cheap there personally, but then we live in Sydney and houses are ridiculously priced here. Case in point, the house we currently rent (3 and a half bedroom, decent yard, garage) costs us 550 a week...to buy we would be looking at a minumim of 800k and it needs a lot of work. The house across the road from us (just a regular 3 bed without a garage) sold for 1.1 million and a house on the next st over sold for 1.7mill, another house down the other end of our street (2bed, no offstreet parking, and a terraced house) sold for 800k. So it looks like we will never buy in Sydney, prices are just astronomical, unless you want to live in a crappy area (no thanks) but when looking at house prices in Darwin, it looks like we can get something nice (with a pool - if we move there a pool is a must have) for around 500k - much more reasonable lol. Granted I dont know the areas yet but I thought the house prices seemed cheaper, though I have seen a few people note it is really expensive there.

Anyway, I will have a look at your sites. Can I ask what site you use to look at houses?

Also, can you post me an update when you get there in June and tell me all about it lol
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bananalana

If Sydney is "bloody expensive", Darwin would be "murderously expensive".

You can go swimming in the beach if you like, but there's quite a chance of getting stung by box-jellyfish with a much lesser chance of being eaten by a croc. Lots of pools around to cater for the lack of swimming in the sea.

Competition like? Hell yes. At every inspection there are like 10 groups or more of people looking around. http://www.domain.com.au/Search/buy/...rooms=3&page=1

Just note that Palmerston suburbs will tend to be cheaper than Darwin ones.

Snakes? Yes, very common in rural suburbs. A few around in the city, esp. the northern suburbs.

Fishing is very good around the region, why many come here.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Im going there in 3 weeks for a holiday - glad not been much mention of crocodiles cos im a bit dubious about the whole getting in the water thing!!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daunted
Im going there in 3 weeks for a holiday - glad not been much mention of crocodiles cos im a bit dubious about the whole getting in the water thing!!
Read this, from today. http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/201...81_ntnews.html
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Willoughby
STUFF THAT!!!! I will be staying well away from the beach!!!