Darwin meet up

Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

helen_and_michael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Darwin meet up

Literally just arrived in Darwin on Thursdaynight and feel a bit of fish out of water at the moment. I am on my own for about four months until my wife joins me. Would be very interested in meeting similar expats in the Darwin/NT region to bring me down gently.

Anyway must get back to getting my bodyclock adjusted to a +9.5 hours.

Michael
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:57 am
Just Joined

helen_and_michael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Darwin meet up

Me again....just thought I would drop say is their any expats out there in Darwin who would like to meet up, as the first stages of what the hell have I done !

Looking for any signs of life in Darwin/NT

Michael
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by helen_and_michael
Me again....just thought I would drop say is their any expats out there in Darwin who would like to meet up, as the first stages of what the hell have I done !

Looking for any signs of life in Darwin/NT

Michael
Hi Michael

Sorry, am not in Darwin!

However, I am hoping to be although think will be at least a year away. Having a wee bit of a wobble & thinking of not going ahead with visa process...so sligtly concerned you didn't have numerous replies from other ex-pats there. Please tell em that you had loads of PM's and are now awash with like-minded new friends or that the good folk of darwin are so friendly & welcoming that you have a huge amount of new aussie mates and so have no need to be looking for meet- ups!

Best of luck with the move, am hugely jealous. And any advice/tips now that you are there gratefully received.

Uklass
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uklass
Hi Michael

Sorry, am not in Darwin!

However, I am hoping to be although think will be at least a year away. Having a wee bit of a wobble & thinking of not going ahead with visa process...so sligtly concerned you didn't have numerous replies from other ex-pats there. Please tell em that you had loads of PM's and are now awash with like-minded new friends or that the good folk of darwin are so friendly & welcoming that you have a huge amount of new aussie mates and so have no need to be looking for meet- ups!

Best of luck with the move, am hugely jealous. And any advice/tips now that you are there gratefully received.

Uklass
There are a few people on the forum in Darwin - if you search the main Aus forum you should find a couple of threads. Think most of them are ADF families.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are a few people on the forum in Darwin - if you search the main Aus forum you should find a couple of threads. Think most of them are ADF families.
Thanks Pollyanna, will do
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Thanks Pollyanna, will do
I'm in Darwin!

It's ace, I love it!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yey!!! Am hugely jealous!!!

Now questions!!! Is it ridiculously expensive (namely rent)? Is there still a fantastic sunday sesh at Cavanaghs? Ahhh, mindle markets...are the sunsets still as amazing as they were?

Tell me more about you Lou, are you settled? Have you lived there long? Does it feel like home?

Keeping everything crossed the NT SMP will have my occupation on come September, otherwise will just have to be long holidays there!!

Uklass
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Yey!!! Am hugely jealous!!!

Now questions!!! Is it ridiculously expensive (namely rent)? Is there still a fantastic sunday sesh at Cavanaghs? Ahhh, mindle markets...are the sunsets still as amazing as they were?

Tell me more about you Lou, are you settled? Have you lived there long? Does it feel like home?

Keeping everything crossed the NT SMP will have my occupation on come September, otherwise will just have to be long holidays there!!

Uklass

Haha, hi there!
Keeping my fingers crossed you can come live here - you're very excited! Hehe!

Bad news is... yes, rent is ridiculously expensive. Think it's the worst or second worse for rent costs in Australia. Sorry to be the barer of bad news! Rest of Darwin is fairly expensive for everything else due to it's remoteness (I know that's not a word....!). Fuel is more expensive, smokes, and a lot of fresh produce, due to the fact it all has to be shipped from down south.

BUT, Darwin is amazing - the sunsets are awesome, the dry season is awesome - I think the wet season is awesome!
Not been to a Sunday sesh at the Cav - it's all about Deck Bar on Sundays now - half price drinks between 5pm and 7pm - it's packed!
I love Darwin lifestyle - people are so friendly, it's relaxed, it's sunny!

I have been here since October 2009 (which was my second visit to Darwin). I am currently not permanent - I'm on a working holiday, but my other half and I are just about to apply for defacto relationship visa 820, so fingers crossed I can be a bit more permanent soon!

When are you hoping to head over?