Darwin the lowdown please

Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

torren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Darwin the lowdown please

That's it, i've changed my mind. I'm not going
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by torren
That's it, i've changed my mind. I'm not going

I love Darwin
Been here nearly 12 months.
Yes, it's humid, but it's not all that bad - you get used to it. If you work in an office you won't even notice anyway, as the air con is always on!
If you work outside I can't imagine it would be that pleasant.

It is remote, and there's not that much to do.
Good thing I like fishing and we have a boat!
There's a couple of national parks nearby, lots of swimming holes (most are closed in the wet)
Darwin does seem to be expanding in my opinion - there's a new wave pool built down at the Esplanade, and apparently there are new mining companies coming to town which should increase Darwin's population size. More airlines are coming to Darwin (although these often stop during the wet too).

The wet is gorgeous though. I like my photography - the storms here are amazing. The trees are really green, the waterfalls are flowing, the birds are here, etc etc.
It's relaxed. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.
Darwin has a very transcient population and a very multi-cultural one.
It's hot and sunny now
I kinda like the wet though, when all the tourists disappear!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
When looking into joining the army I was told I'd almost def be posted in Darwin.

Beer and fishing is all that's available there I'm told.
Hey mate there is more to Darwin than just beer and fishing. With the ADF you are well looked after in terms of perks for livig up here.
WE get free flights to Australian capital cities once a year, free international flights once a year too which can b part of a package holiday. So good new for us lol.

So far im loving Darwin, my OH is struggling with the heat but then the UK summers were too hot for him too lol .
There are so many places to visit around here that i sure we will mak the most of our time in the top end.

To the OP we originally wanted to move to Victoria and we will do eventually, we came over on a sponsored visa so ha no choice in the matter.
Some geordie freinds of mine arrived last September and they said intially they found it hard going in the wet season but they adjusted and acclimatitized resonably well.
I have found things are expensive here but in most cases earnings are higher and for some companies they give additional perks.
Houses are expensive as are cars but there can be bargains to be had you just have to look.
Come and see what you think of Darwin, everyone's view will be different, depending on your crcumstances
Mandy