Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Darwin Fishing Tales.

Darwin Fishing Tales.

Old Aug 25th 2004, 5:38 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough
Default Darwin Fishing Tales.

Just got back from my first ever experience of fishing and it was mighty fine!!

They say the fishing up here at the Top End is as good as anywhere and if today is anything to go by I see why. We went Barra fishing to a place called Corroberee Billabong. Bit of a drive out but worth it. 4 of us on the boat and we got a hit in the first minute. 58 cm Barra that went back in. Then one of the other guys got a 78cm beauty, and I got a 70 cm. Couldn't believe it, my first ever fish. I know they grow way bigger but for a first ever catch I was impressed. Just got a couple of smaller ones and a big Catfish after that.

As the fishing dropped off though we took in the surroundings, and it was worth more than the fee just to see the billabong. We saw at least 10 crocs, including a 4 metre monster thats a regular, and a fair few other big ones. Close too, some swimming 15 feet off the boat before dipping under. Apparently they regularly sit under the boats and take the catch as you try to net it.

Our guide told us he had a guy who'd waited 15 years to fish for barra, and on his first cast he got a hit. He was going mental till a croc took it. As the line ran he kept at it, and eventually the croc came up on the bank with the barra in its mouth, the lure still visible. The old bloke wanted to battle on but they eventually pursuaded him to cut the line. But not before he took a picture. I thought it was the usual fishermans tale till the guide got a copy of the photo out! Big barra and a big croc too.

As well as crocs we saw loads of Heron, Cormarants, buffalo, a big pig, kites, and a gorgeous huge sea eagle that came close to get the fish bits as they were filleted. The whistling kites chased it off though. Loads of other birds too that I didn't recognise, including some big brogas (not sure if thats what they said they were called). Add this to the trees and masses of lillies and it was stunning.

Sorry to rattle on but it was pretty good stuff. Nearly as exciting as netting sticklebacks down Shibden beck, back home in Yorkshire!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:11 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Darwin Fishing Tales.

... and remember to kiss 'em better before you put 'em back!!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yibbida Yibbida folks
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Loose!

Fishing's not my thing, but just all the animals and stuff, cool!

Glad you're enjoying yourself!