Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Darwin to Earth....do you read me?? over.

Darwin to Earth....do you read me?? over.

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:38 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough
Default Darwin to Earth....do you read me?? over.

Just a quick hello from Darwin.

Been here a couple of days now and its pretty bizzare. Fun though.

Quick good and bad points.

Good. - Weather is awesome, people are very friendly (if a bit mental) our appartment rocks, beers cheap, and Darwins pretty.

Bad. - Miss friends and family, those in your heart and head. dont have as many channels on TV as rest of Oz, got a really stupid graze on my nose and cheek from walking into the soddin fly screen!

Too early to give you all a serious update, but over next few days will be exploring on my own a bit and will post further soon.

Thanks for good wishes.

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Darwin to Earth....do you read me?? over.

Have you emigrated?

What made you choose Darwin?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:49 am
Re mem mem member

Originally posted by renth
Have you emigrated?

What made you choose Darwin?
Yeah, got here a couple of days ago. My girlfriend works up here till December. If all goes to plan, will possibly be moving to Perth (where she's originally from) in Jan.

When I flew over I camevia Perth and when I told the lady at the airport I was going to Darwin she laughed and asked why! Not the most reassuring start you can get. Its not that bad though.

You should all come visit me and I'll show you round the place. Apparently you can be classed as a local after 6 months cos the population is so transient.

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by loose
Yeah, got here a couple of days ago. My girlfriend works up here till December. If all goes to plan, will possibly be moving to Perth (where she's originally from) in Jan.

When I flew over I camevia Perth and when I told the lady at the airport I was going to Darwin she laughed and asked why! Not the most reassuring start you can get. Its not that bad though.

You should all come visit me and I'll show you round the place. Apparently you can be classed as a local after 6 months cos the population is so transient.

Thanks for the invite, I've been there a couple of times. Once in the wet and once in the dry.

I learned to scuba dive in the harbour there too.

I liked it a lot but am not sure I'd want to live there.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:42 am
Re mem mem member

Originally posted by renth
Thanks for the invite, I've been there a couple of times. Once in the wet and once in the dry.

I learned to scuba dive in the harbour there too.

I liked it a lot but am not sure I'd want to live there.
Yeah I know what you mean, I think.

Still feels like a holiday (obviously - only been here 2 mins) we'll see how we go I reckon.

Brave man on the Scuba diving - the harbour here seems to be awash with sharks and crocs - and both of them are scared of the jellies!!

By the way, whats the crack with Jimmy Barnes?? He's just done 2 gigs over here and when I said I'd never heard of him and didn't really fancy going to see him, they nearly had me committed!!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:49 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by loose
Brave man on the Scuba diving - the harbour here seems to be awash with sharks and crocs - and both of them are scared of the jellies!!
I had to wear s full lycra stinger suit and saw a hammerhead shark just before I went in for my first ever dive in the sea

By the way, whats the crack with Jimmy Barnes?? He's just done 2 gigs over here and when I said I'd never heard of him and didn't really fancy going to see him, they nearly had me committed!!
He's an Aussie legend who, like the bloke who sang "the land downunder" for Men at Work and most of AC/DC is actually Scottish.

Most Aussies wouldn't believe you if you told them Jimmy Barnes and the band he used to front, Cold Chisel, are pretty much unheard of outside Oz/NZ.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Loose and welcome to Aus.

You brough back some great memories. Me and my mate used to hoon around Perth and Freo at 2am with the "two fires" tape (yes, tape!!) blaring from the car window. Ahhhh happy days. When i got back to the UK it just seemed so wrong though..........
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

You didn't want to go see Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!! Leave Australia now, it's the only option! You will kick yourself for not going (well if you like that sort of music). I still can't believe I didn't go to Chisel's Ringside concert in Perth last year, i am SOOOOO stupid!

Loopy
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 3:59 am
Badge

Originally posted by hevs
Hi Loose and welcome to Aus.

You brough back some great memories. Me and my mate used to hoon around Perth and Freo at 2am with the "two fires" tape (yes, tape!!) blaring from the car window. Ahhhh happy days. When i got back to the UK it just seemed so wrong though..........
That was you then, was it, Hevs the other night??

I also recall a bit of hooning myself - only a few years ago now

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 4:33 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi loose!

Glad you made it in one piece!

As for Jimmy Barnes... I heard him playing on a radio here in Perth over Netmeeting, downloaded a few Cold Chisel songs and immediately ordered a best of CD on import to Canada. You should have seen the look on the clerks' face. "Cold..who?"

Best CD ever!

If they play Perth anytime soon... I will be RUNNING to the ticket office.

Also fell for John Farnham that way...

Siren
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 5:20 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Jimmy rocks, hes the fav Scotsman in Aus ( after me of course ) His son is a pretty good singer to, David Campbell is his name.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:00 am
Re mem mem member

Hi all, so it seems Jimmy's a bit of a legend then eh!! You're all insane.

I'll try listen to some of his stuff but everytime someone has tried to sing me one of his tracks it sounds like they've caught something in their zipper!! :scared:

Also gotta laugh, hardly anyone has any info or comments on Darwin, but mention Jimmy and the place goes nuts! LOL

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I recall the wife and I sitting in "The Sportsman" pub in Darwin. She was getting a lot of funny looks, which it later transpirede were either because a) she was a female in a pub, or b) she was supposed to be the stripper.

apart from that, Darwin is a weird place. Great parks scenery etc, and he city centre seems ok, but it is a bit Wild West.

Been there 3 or 4 times and always had a good laugh, but yeah you wouldn;t want to live there.

PS - you need Foxtel almost immediately I'd suggest.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Loose, glad you got to Darwin OK. How have you acclimatised to Darwin at this time of year, what with it being at its coldest! Still, makes the perfect excuse for another cold beer. Bet you can't wait for summer :scared: (only been in the dry season but the summer storms are supposed to be spectatcular)

Enjoy Darwin...you lucky thing!!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 6:58 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by RichS
I recall the wife and I sitting in "The Sportsman" pub in Darwin. She was getting a lot of funny looks, which it later transpirede were either because a) she was a female in a pub, or b) she was supposed to be the stripper.
I used to drink in the Sportsman. That's the one with lunchtime strippers isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.