Darwin?

Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute
Default Darwin?

Hi - anyone care to give me an idea what its like there...demographics, property etc....obviously no need to mention the heat, humidity, wet season, crocs, jelly fish, sharks, or creepy crawlies...more standard of living...redneckness...and general how it is....although i guess i might get 2 sorts of answers...those who love it and are there and those that hate it and arent there....a sort of independant take on it would be appreciated..

Cheers
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Darwin?

oh well...guess i'll take a drive up myself lol....only 2500miles or so from brizzy
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:33 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chaval View Post
Hi - anyone care to give me an idea what its like there...demographics, property etc....obviously no need to mention the heat, humidity, wet season, crocs, jelly fish, sharks, or creepy crawlies...more standard of living...redneckness...and general how it is....although i guess i might get 2 sorts of answers...those who love it and are there and those that hate it and arent there....a sort of independant take on it would be appreciated..

Cheers
Looks like you've just about answered your own question .....
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Townley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant future

Cheers
Ok... semi independent take on Darwin. My OH was born and bread there. Im a pom. We went over last summer for 4 weeks. I had previously lived in Sydney and visited Brisbane/Gold Coast.

I absolutely loved the NT. We stayed with friends while we were in Darwin city and took a land cruiser out bush (I really do mean 'out bush'... Maningrida, Arnemland).. also visited Katherine, canoed down Katherine Gorge, Litchfield National Park (beautiful). I found the place amazing and the people were so friendly. Here are some ups and downs to get you thinking...

Ups
Houses - you get a lot more for your money... prices are also creeping up so potential to actually make a fair amount long term.
Location - ok so u touched on the climate, infact i love the tropical climate. I've heard the build up can be pretty tough but I am sure that is something anyone can aclimatise to... and there is so much bloody rain that you wont have to worry about watering your garden or washing your car! You can get pretty cheap flights over to Indonesia, S'pore (just looking now and Jetstar are doing $500 rtn in Jan '09).
People - I get the whole thing about this 'redneck' rumour but not sure its justified. I just got the impression that everyone was working to live rather than living to work... the Darwin Cup was an absolute blast and there are plenty of bars, cafe's and restaurants if that's your cup of tea! Just a city of genuine people and a real feeling of 'community'. When my OH lost his phone a a less than sober night out i called it the next day and the guy that cleaned the mall had found it. Then the phone went flat so my OH calls teh council who say they have a meeting once a week with the cleaning team... next meeting the guys rocks up with OH's phone and hands it in to his boss... happy reunion!
Fishing - barra fishing/fishing in general and mud crab catching is definitely a plus of being in the NT, not just being out on a boat for the day chilling... but free fresh food when u get home!
Markets - the multicultural element of Darwin comes out at the markets where food of many origins is in abundance... a great family affair or just to go and get a decent feed!

Downs
Small Town values - ok so i have lived in big cities and very small villages... there are plus and minus points to both. Darwin is growing but you would have to get use to the fact that it is not a Brisbane or a Sydney... but its got it quirks!
Location - its a fair way from most places (accept Indo) but there are regular flights and the Ghan comes in to Darwin twice a week (i think).
Jobs - this may be an up or down and it very much depends on what your occupation is. Certainly worth researching the companies and job market there.
Crocs - great to see but could possibly deter you from swimming in the sea... depends how brave/stupid/under the influence u are! They never bothered me when i was there but i was only swimming in fresh water (in the dry season when all the channels were dried out and the rangers had checked for invading salties) or I was on a boat. Which meant u could get up real close and get away quickly if they got a bit peed with you!
Wet Season - this really does mean wet... and no Im not so bothered about the torrential rain... infact i love it. But be aware that anywhere outside of Darwin invariably gets blocked off for a while during the wets... and if you live anywhere remote u may want to check the flood planes - one of our friends woke up one morning in the wet season to a croc tapping its nose on their patio doors!

Why not just suck it and see? It's a great place... and infact I am quite glad it has that 'less than desirable' reputation in comparison to some of the bigger cities... because if the crowds started coming it would certainly influence the current atmosphere which is is welcoming, relaxed, possibly a little on the immature side but a hell of a lot of fun and learning from it's mistakes!

TP x

Last edited by Townley; Aug 21st 2008 at 5:24 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:56 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Townley View Post
Ok... semi independent take on Darwin. My OH was born and bread there. Im a pom. We went over last summer for 4 weeks. I had previously lived in Sydney and visited Brisbane/Gold Coast.

I absolutely loved the NT. We stayed with friends while we were in Darwin city and took a land cruiser out bush (I really do mean 'out bush'... Maningrida, Arnemland).. also visited Katherine, canoed down Katherine Gorge, Litchfield National Park (beautiful). I found the place amazing and the people were so friendly. Here are some ups and downs to get you thinking...

Ups
Houses - you get a lot more for your money... prices are also creeping up so potential to actually make a fair amount long term.
Location - ok so u touched on the climate, infact i love the tropical climate. I've heard the build up can be pretty tough but I am sure that is something anyone can aclimatise to... and there is so much bloody rain that you wont have to worry about watering your garden or washing your car! You can get pretty cheap flights over to Indonesia, S'pore (just looking now and Jetstar are doing $500 rtn in Jan '09).
People - I get the whole thing about this 'redneck' rumour but not sure its justified. I just got the impression that everyone was working to live rather than living to work... the Darwin Cup was an absolute blast and there are plenty of bars, cafe's and restaurants if that's your cup of tea! Just a city of genuine people and a real feeling of 'community'. When my OH lost his phone a a less than sober night out i called it the next day and the guy that cleaned the mall had found it. Then the phone went flat so my OH calls teh council who say they have a meeting once a week with the cleaning team... next meeting the guys rocks up with OH's phone and hands it in to his boss... happy reunion!
Fishing - barra fishing/fishing in general and mud crab catching is definitely a plus of being in the NT, not just being out on a boat for the day chilling... but free fresh food when u get home!
Markets - the multicultural element of Darwin comes out at the markets where food of many origins is in abundance... a great family affair or just to go and get a decent feed!

Downs
Small Town values - ok so i have lived in big cities and very small villages... there are plus and minus points to both. Darwin is growing but you would have to get use to the fact that it is not a Brisbane or a Sydney... but its got it quirks!
Location - its a fair way from most places (accept Indo) but there are regular flights and the Ghan comes in to Darwin twice a week (i think).
Jobs - this may be an up or down and it very much depends on what your occupation is. Certainly worth researching the companies and job market there.
Crocs - great to see but could possibly deter you from swimming in the sea... depends how brave/stupid/under the influence u are! They never bothered me when i was there but i was only swimming in fresh water (in the dry season when all the channels were dried out and the rangers had checked for invading salties) or I was on a boat. Which meant u could get up real close and get away quickly if they got a bit peed with you!
Wet Season - this really does mean wet... and no Im not so bothered about the torrential rain... infact i love it. But be aware that anywhere outside of Darwin invariably gets blocked off for a while during the wets... and if you live anywhere remote u may want to check the flood planes - one of our friends woke up one morning in the wet season to a croc tapping its nose on their patio doors!

Why not just suck it and see? It's a great place... and infact I am quite glad it has that 'less than desirable' reputation in comparison to some of the bigger cities... because if the crowds started coming it would certainly influence the current atmosphere which is is welcoming, relaxed, possibly a little on the immature side but a hell of a lot of fun and learning from it's mistakes!

TP x
Hey, sounds like a great place to me.....
Old Aug 21st 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Townley View Post

Ups

Downs

TP x
Ta very much....exactly what i wanted.....we're currently in Brisbane and could potentially be offered work up in Darwin...we're pretty open minded and would probably consider anywhere bar sydney...cos at the end of the day...brisbane is great...but we need to work and we gotta go where we get offered work....

just wanted a snap shot before we commit to anything...so thanks again

c
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

brissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the rough

Darwin is my favourite place in the world, not just Oz.

If it wasnt for my work and my missus I would be living there in a heartbeat.

Amazing place with soem of the best fishing in the world. You really feel like you are living on a different planet.

Cheers

jamie
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks again...

both been offered jobs up there so we're leaving brissy for a while to have abit of an adventure up there and looking at the role..seeing some parts of oz which i probably would never see..proper croc dundee places...i wonder if i'll hear the noise of the didgeridoo when i get out the car lol.....anyway....should be a good challenge and hey if we dont like it after a couple of years we can reconsider our options, either way...more memories in the making....

now...wheres the road atlas...figured we could drive up the qld coast..see abit and then hang a left at mt isa...then north by north east ? via the national park...

Btw if anyone wants to take over a lease in a cracking place in kangaroo point in brisbane...right next to the river ferry and therefore the CBD...send me a pm...might be able to assign it....there will be 3 1/2 months left on the lease...(1 bed fully furnished)..or u could proabably get a new 6 month lease.....not a prob if i get no responses as there are people ringing up all the time to move into apt block...thought i might try and help someone out..

Anway...off to byron bay for the weekend

laters

C
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Townley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant future

thanks again...

both been offered jobs up there so we're leaving brissy for a while to have abit of an adventure up there and looking at the role..seeing some parts of oz which i probably would never see..proper croc dundee places...i wonder if i'll hear the noise of the didgeridoo when i get out the car lol.....anyway....should be a good challenge and hey if we dont like it after a couple of years we can reconsider our options, either way...more memories in the making....

now...wheres the road atlas...figured we could drive up the qld coast..see abit and then hang a left at mt isa...then north by north east ? via the national park...

Btw if anyone wants to take over a lease in a cracking place in kangaroo point in brisbane...right next to the river ferry and therefore the CBD...send me a pm...might be able to assign it....there will be 3 1/2 months left on the lease...(1 bed fully furnished)..or u could proabably get a new 6 month lease.....not a prob if i get no responses as there are people ringing up all the time to move into apt block...thought i might try and help someone out..

Anway...off to byron bay for the weekend

laters

C
You are going on a road trip! I love road trips! We are gonna do the Darwin to Adelaide when we are there next year.. then up the West Coast...

I will have a chat with my OH this weekend and get the lowdown from him on your route and if there is anything to be aware of/must sees!

Have fun in BB!

TP
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok guys....we're off to darwin for a while...can anyone give me a steer on areas not to live (i know its not that big)....but any assistence would be great.

Cheers

Also any must see stops on the way from Brisbane on the way ??

Ta

Wife just found out they get storms lol...oops