Darwin

Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Darwin

We dont here much news about Darwin on here, it's right up there on my wish list as a place to travel to. I'd like to drive up there via Alice springs, and come back through Mt Isa and out to Townsville.

I just wondered if any one had actually lived in Darwin for a while, or even migrated there, and for other readers on here, what the opportunity's were like there.

As for me, I'd love to have a few Drinks with some Territorians it would be a great experience.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:46 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Darwin

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We dont here much news about Darwin on here, it's right up there on my wish list as a place to travel to. I'd like to drive up there via Alice springs, and come back through Mt Isa and out to Townsville.

I just wondered if any one had actually lived in Darwin for a while, or even migrated there, and for other readers on here, what the opportunity's were like there.

As for me, I'd love to have a few Drinks with some Territorians it would be a great experience.
Spent about 5 years in Darwin, Palmerston and Humpty Doo. Did a degree at NTU as it was then. Enjoyed living there, the weather is Pom's dream - the only large population centre with year round warm weather. Yes ...I've spent time n Cairns and the winter nights get cold and windy!

Never had problems getting work there and lots of part time work available tutoring at aboriginal boarding schools.

Due to the weather, the sports seasons are reversed. So football is played in the (Northern ) football season.

The dry is dry - 32 or 33 everyday. The wet is just that (not like north Qld) and usually 32 - 35. Temps drop to maybe 28 or 29 during the monsoon and the coats and sweaters come out.

Lots of nice places to visit - Litchfield,Kakadu, Dundee Beach- within an easy drive. No speed limit on the Highway south of Noonamah< so you can give the v8 some welly.

Well worth a visit or a period of residence in my opinion. Go and live somewhere where most aussies have never ventured.

Oh....but watch out on the Barkley on your way to the Isa (also lived there for 12 months).....lots of disapearances up that way :scared:
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:34 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

There have been some threads on here so perhaps you could do a search and something will come up !!!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I did that drive - Mildura - Alice - Darwin - Mt Isa but then up to Karumba on the Gulf and across to Cairns, down to Townsville. Fabulous experience, and so was Darwin. A city I'd love to spend a lot more time in - so chilled, but too hot for me (and I went in the dry). The wildlife and scenery is something else in the top end.

There was a guy on here called 'Loose' who moved to Darwin a year or two ago but haven't seen him post in ages. I think 'Mercedes' also used to live in Darwin.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I did that drive - Mildura - Alice - Darwin - Mt Isa but then up to Karumba on the Gulf and across to Cairns, down to Townsville. Fabulous experience, and so was Darwin. A city I'd love to spend a lot more time in - so chilled, but too hot for me (and I went in the dry). The wildlife and scenery is something else in the top end.

There was a guy on here called 'Loose' who moved to Darwin a year or two ago but haven't seen him post in ages. I think 'Mercedes' also used to live in Darwin.

Blimey HP, That is something I really aspire to, along with going to Selhurst Park again....

Errr bet you havn't been there
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

I currently live in Darwin and immigrated directly to Darwin so have no experience of living in the south. I have been here five years, so if there is anything specific you want to know, I am sure I can answer your questions.

Like most small places, one is a big fish in a small pond work-wise, and, for Australia, the housing is still 'reasonable', meaning still hopelessly over-priced, but not compared to the south. The heat will get to you after a few years, and most people with any ambition leave when their children reach the middle school years. Life is difficult because of the isolation--travel to other parts of Australia is a major undertaking, and of course overseas means long waits in airports for connecting flights. The population is made up of a lot of losers who couldn't make it in the south, a lot of people who started travelling north and found they couldn't get any further, a lot of people who came here for a visit and stayed, and people who realise they can make more money and be in more important jobs than in the south. There are locals but they are far and few between. Most people leave upon their high school graduation.

There are a lot of good things about living here. Animals that are rare in the south are common here so I think nothing of seeing quite unusual things in my garden. The beach is huge--I walk it every day and see so many birds and sea creatures I can't begin to keep track of them. I have travelled all over the territory and northern WA and really enjoyed it. The once in the life time trip a lot of southern Australians do (ie, camping out in total isolation in the top end) I have done many times. Darwin, like a lot of isolated cities, can only depend on itself, so it is pretty self-sufficient--you can get anything here if you want it, in the way of groceries or various products, activities, etc. After all, there are 100,000plus people living here so it is hardly a tiny town.

However, there are a lot of down sides. Did I mention the heat? It's a killer. You don't go outside during the day (I don't have airconditioning, but at least I have fans and shade inside). Forget gardening, walking on the beach after about 8am, walking to the store for a paper. But the heat isn't the worse thing in my books--the worse is not being able to walk down the streets because of the dogs. Everyone has a dog in their front garden and they lunge at the huge 8 foot fences that surround every property and bark their heads off. It's ridiculous and such a hostile thing--I have grown to hate the people in Darwin who feel they need such dogs to protect their property. There are constant letters to the editor about it. People from the south who visit write to the paper and say how shocking it is to see people living with such a siege mentality.

However, I think everyone who has immigrated to Australia ought to check out the top end. Pop into Darwin, but most of your time travelling in the NT and out towards Broome. It is stunningly beautiful--go in the end or beginning of the dry, when most of the tourists haven't arrived yet. Take a tent and cooking gear so you are self sufficient (forget those damn camper vans--I can't think why anyone would use one). Camping under the stars is the only way to go.

I've had my two cents but if you want to ask anything specific, please don't hesitate.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
I currently live in Darwin and immigrated directly to Darwin so have no experience of living in the south. I have been here five years, so if there is anything specific you want to know, I am sure I can answer your questions.

Like most small places, one is a big fish in a small pond work-wise, and, for Australia, the housing is still 'reasonable', meaning still hopelessly over-priced, but not compared to the south. The heat will get to you after a few years, and most people with any ambition leave when their children reach the middle school years. Life is difficult because of the isolation--travel to other parts of Australia is a major undertaking, and of course overseas means long waits in airports for connecting flights. The population is made up of a lot of losers who couldn't make it in the south, a lot of people who started travelling north and found they couldn't get any further, a lot of people who came here for a visit and stayed, and people who realise they can make more money and be in more important jobs than in the south. There are locals but they are far and few between. Most people leave upon their high school graduation.

There are a lot of good things about living here. Animals that are rare in the south are common here so I think nothing of seeing quite unusual things in my garden. The beach is huge--I walk it every day and see so many birds and sea creatures I can't begin to keep track of them. I have travelled all over the territory and northern WA and really enjoyed it. The once in the life time trip a lot of southern Australians do (ie, camping out in total isolation in the top end) I have done many times. Darwin, like a lot of isolated cities, can only depend on itself, so it is pretty self-sufficient--you can get anything here if you want it, in the way of groceries or various products, activities, etc. After all, there are 100,000plus people living here so it is hardly a tiny town.

However, there are a lot of down sides. Did I mention the heat? It's a killer. You don't go outside during the day (I don't have airconditioning, but at least I have fans and shade inside). Forget gardening, walking on the beach after about 8am, walking to the store for a paper. But the heat isn't the worse thing in my books--the worse is not being able to walk down the streets because of the dogs. Everyone has a dog in their front garden and they lunge at the huge 8 foot fences that surround every property and bark their heads off. It's ridiculous and such a hostile thing--I have grown to hate the people in Darwin who feel they need such dogs to protect their property. There are constant letters to the editor about it. People from the south who visit write to the paper and say how shocking it is to see people living with such a siege mentality.

However, I think everyone who has immigrated to Australia ought to check out the top end. Pop into Darwin, but most of your time travelling in the NT and out towards Broome. It is stunningly beautiful--go in the end or beginning of the dry, when most of the tourists haven't arrived yet. Take a tent and cooking gear so you are self sufficient (forget those damn camper vans--I can't think why anyone would use one). Camping under the stars is the only way to go.

I've had my two cents but if you want to ask anything specific, please don't hesitate.

What a truly amazing response mate !!!

I think you have become what we in the south call a Territorian.

I never knew about the Dogs, I guessed about the heat., It all goes to show, how little we in the south know about your place.

The loser thing rings true. how many Aussies do I know, that if things go bad, spouse leave them, job goes bung etc etc, say they're going to Darwin.

So what you are saying is there are not many people that are born bred and die there ?

I would Imagine the night sky is amazing there ?

Thanks once again, for a truly unique response.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey HP, That is something I really aspire to, along with going to Selhurst Park again....

Errr bet you havn't been there
No, but the first game I ever went to at Anfield was against Palace....does that count for anything?
Old Jan 28th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

The loser thing rings true. how many Aussies do I know, that if things go bad, spouse leave them, job goes bung etc etc, say they're going to Darwin.

So what you are saying is there are not many people that are born bred and die there ?
I would Imagine the night sky is amazing there ?
Everyone up here is running from something, but they all know they are and admit it freely--and we all screw up, so anyone can end up here! (Of course, the people who can't make it in Darwin try northern Queensland--now that's a place I might struggle with! My visit to Cairns remains a nightmare.)

Are there people here who are born and bred? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone I know who was born in Darwin--if you were born here, you desperately try to leave asap (ie at 18). (This is excepting aboriginals, of course, but I have little contact in my day to day life.) Most non aboriginal people last about 5 years. There are some who have been here since the cyclone (1974)--that's very long term since to stick it out after the cyclone was a major undertaking. It's a source of pride for people, for which you can't blame them.

As for the night sky--I live at the very top of Darwin, on the coast towards the Tiwi Islands, and you can't see significant night sky because of the lights from the houses, but evening walks on the beach are great because of the sunsets and the huge lightening storms. If you head south and camp out the night sky is overwhelming. As I said, I have done a lot of camping across the top and it will remain one of my major life memories. When I am having trouble sleeping, say, I will recall our camping trips and the utter peace of being out watching the sky and knowing we are alone for miles and miles.