Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dangerous weapons/laid back Aus

Dangerous weapons/laid back Aus

Old Oct 24th 2003, 3:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Dangerous weapons/laid back Aus

I thought this was funny( copy and paste alert), can you imagine telling a Scots man that his bagpipes are an offensive weapon..lol

Stupid bl**dy rules over here. Suncorp stadium seems the worst. I suppose "streaking" across the pitch is out then? lol

22 October 2003

Australia's "fun police" have been baffling everyone with some draconian rules on this usually laid-back continent.

Last week, they told the Namibian fans that they could only bang their drums "quietly", and on Monday the Scottish bagpipers were informed that they could not take their instruments into Suncorp Stadium at all.

Despite this, the Ipswich Thistle Pipe Band let rip outside the Brisbane stadium. "Bagpipes are not an offensive weapon," said one, and although some may disagree, it does seem harsh to stop fans blowing their hearts out for their boys.

But that pales alongside telling fans who came to Perth they could not go in wearing their England shirts. Apparently, because the International Rugby Board gave so many assurances to the "official" sponsors, no "unofficial" logos were to be on display.

As this would have meant roughly 15,000 being turned away, the ban was lifted. So, all around the Subiaco Oval on Saturday night, the logo "02" was seen emblazoned on white shirts. Talk about the oxygen of publicity.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 3:59 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

It's about time that the pretentious dickheads in the IRB realised that without any fans there is no game, and without the game their reason for existence evaporates.

Dunno about anyone else in Sydney, but I drive past the Homebush Bay (Sydney Olympic Stadium) turnoff every weekday, and have seen very little activity apart from opening night. I'm not a follower of rugby, so there may be no games going on over the last week.

Is the Rugby World Cup a damp squib?!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

There hasn’t been a game at Sydney Telstra since the opening game, so that’s why its been a bit quite at Homebush. The town has been jumping at the weekends though and there have been a few games on at Aussie stadium.

Most of the games have been sold out. Even the smaller teams playing in the pool games. Townsville was packed last night to watch Fiji v Japan.

Homebush should be a bit livelier this weekend with Scotland v France game on Saturday night.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 4:20 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dracupg
Homebush should be a bit livelier this weekend with Scotland v France game on Saturday night.
Thanks for that - explains the quiet. Sounds like Saturday is a good day to head for the mountains! I have 110 trees to plant, anyway, so I've got something to keep myself occupied!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 4:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom
It's about time that the pretentious dickheads in the IRB realised that without any fans there is no game, and without the game their reason for existence evaporates.

Dunno about anyone else in Sydney, but I drive past the Homebush Bay (Sydney Olympic Stadium) turnoff every weekday, and have seen very little activity apart from opening night. I'm not a follower of rugby, so there may be no games going on over the last week.

Is the Rugby World Cup a damp squib?!
I drive past Stadium Australia and Aussie Stadium every and I have seen nothing. I find it funny that people get confused between the 2 venues. Every event people turn up at the wrong venue.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 4:38 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by bondipom
I drive past Stadium Australia and Aussie Stadium every and I have seen nothing. I find it funny that people get confused between the 2 venues. Every event people turn up at the wrong venue.
Why funny? I live here and I don't know the difference!

Come on Bondi - give us all a rundown on which is which and where! :lecture: (Seriously, I'd be interested - I didn't even realise there were two.... )
Old Oct 24th 2003, 4:42 am

Why funny? I live here and I don't know the difference!

Come on Bondi - give us all a rundown on which is which and where! :lecture: (Seriously, I'd be interested - I didn't even realise there were two.... )
I understand why but still find it funny.

Stadium Australia is the big one at Homebush and Aussie Stadium is the one at Moore Park (used to to be the Sydney Football Stadium). Aussie stadium changed name when it was sponsored by Aussie Home Loans.

Hopefully none of you will now make the same mistake. Rugby World Cup games are being played at both.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 4:48 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by bondipom
I understand why but still find it funny.

Stadium Australia is the big one at Homebush and Aussie Stadium is the one at Moore Park (used to to be the Sydney Football Stadium). Aussie stadium changed name when it was sponsored by Aussie Home Loans.

Hopefully none of you will now make the same mistake. Rugby World Cup games are being played at both.
So Stadium Australia is the one where we all stayed up all night watching the athletics during the Olympics 2000? Got it! Thanks for that! I'll now stop calling it the Sydney Olympic Stadium!!

(Still annoyed that I didn't manage to get here for the Olympics... )
Old Oct 24th 2003, 5:12 am

So Stadium Australia is the one where we all stayed up all night watching the athletics during the Olympics 2000? Got it! Thanks for that! I'll now stop calling it the Sydney Olympic Stadium!!

(Still annoyed that I didn't manage to get here for the Olympics... )
You have got it. Even worse it is Telstra Stadium Australia.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 8:08 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I agree.....however.....about the drums, and being asked to bang em quietly?

TOO BLOODY RIGHT. They should'nt be allowed in a stadium at all. I am sick to the back teeth of going to football games over here and having some t*sser drumming his heart out.

EVERYONE i know who goes to footie matches hates them.