Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The dangerous fauna of Oz

The dangerous fauna of Oz

Old Nov 7th 2004, 3:44 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: The dangerous fauna of Oz

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
LOL you mean the one eyed trouser snake? very dangerous!!! all women beware !!! It's bite has been known to cause abdominal swelling for over nine months then afterwards vaginal discomfort has been reported followed by sore nipples!!...after that eighteen years of sheer hell
LOL!! But personally, I maintain that the first 28 years are the worst....

Anya.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 5:52 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Man
Recently arrived in my new country and am currently living in the sticks with the in-laws until January. I seem to remember a couple of threads assuring people that although Oz has it's fair share of dangerous creatures there was nothing to worry about as you rarely have any encounters with such things.

Really?

In my first week I have nearly trod on a red bellied black snake (dangerously venomous, more than capable of killing a mere mortal) and had a close encounter with a Brown Snake. Apparently pseudonaja textilis has enough venom in one bite to kill 10,000 guinea pigs so if your kids have a fondness for small furry animals don't let them out of their glass homes. According to one reputable website the Brown Snake is the 2nd deadliest in the world (for those interested the Taipan is the deadliest - to be found in the top half of Australia so at least I'm safe until January).

And for those averse to eight legged furry creatures I have seen two red back spiders outside and a white tipped spider on the pillow next to me whilst on the phone. Of course there's a few Huntsmen about as well but although they are huge and furry apparently a bite for one will not cause any long term problems.

I haven't even set foot in the sea yet.................

Dont be so alarmed. you are in the same boat as me. When I first arrived I lived at the in-law's farm in country Victoria. Had a few sightings of brown snakes on the walk to the local pub etc and redback spiders hanging around in the outside dunny but as long as you know where they are and make sure that oyu are loud enough to know that they know where you are you should have no worries mate.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 3:54 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
LOL!! But personally, I maintain that the first 28 years are the worst....

Anya.
28 years?! I'm not even a 1/3 of the way through! (i love it really )