Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The dangerous fauna of Oz

Wikiposts

The dangerous fauna of Oz

Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:39 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default The dangerous fauna of Oz

Recently arrived in my new country and am currently living in the sticks with the in-laws until January. I seem to remember a couple of threads assuring people that although Oz has it's fair share of dangerous creatures there was nothing to worry about as you rarely have any encounters with such things.

Really?

In my first week I have nearly trod on a red bellied black snake (dangerously venomous, more than capable of killing a mere mortal) and had a close encounter with a Brown Snake. Apparently pseudonaja textilis has enough venom in one bite to kill 10,000 guinea pigs so if your kids have a fondness for small furry animals don't let them out of their glass homes. According to one reputable website the Brown Snake is the 2nd deadliest in the world (for those interested the Taipan is the deadliest - to be found in the top half of Australia so at least I'm safe until January).

And for those averse to eight legged furry creatures I have seen two red back spiders outside and a white tipped spider on the pillow next to me whilst on the phone. Of course there's a few Huntsmen about as well but although they are huge and furry apparently a bite for one will not cause any long term problems.

I haven't even set foot in the sea yet.................

Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The dangerous fauna of Oz

Originally Posted by Kentish Man
Recently arrived in my new country and am currently living in the sticks with the in-laws until January. I seem to remember a couple of threads assuring people that although Oz has it's fair share of dangerous creatures there was nothing to worry about as you rarely have any encounters with such things.

Really?

In my first week I have nearly trod on a red bellied black snake (dangerously venomous, more than capable of killing a mere mortal) and had a close encounter with a Brown Snake. Apparently pseudonaja textilis has enough venom in one bite to kill 10,000 guinea pigs so if your kids have a fondness for small furry animals don't let them out of their glass homes. According to one reputable website the Brown Snake is the 2nd deadliest in the world (for those interested the Taipan is the deadliest - to be found in the top half of Australia so at least I'm safe until January).

And for those averse to eight legged furry creatures I have seen two red back spiders outside and a white tipped spider on the pillow next to me whilst on the phone. Of course there's a few Huntsmen about as well but although they are huge and furry apparently a bite for one will not cause any long term problems.

Just remember that the most dangerous fauna in the UK is its' people
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:47 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

But as you say your living in the sticks, so you would have to expect to see them
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

Well you are out in the sticks...................

A Red-bellied black is not going to kill you........possibly hospitalise at worst. They are a docile snake and their bite is nowhere near as lethal as folks, including most Aussies like to make out.

Taipans certainly are deadly, but not as deadly as the fierce snake of Western Qld's Black soil country. I do wish the text books would get this right.

Eastern Brown Pseudonaja textilis (as opposed to King Brown which is a totally different species), is deadly and also aggressive. That's the one to be wary of.

As for spiders, I love 'em! They won't kill you, and if they bite, then antivenom is readily available. To me, where you're living is paradise. I was looking for these things when I was there!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:50 pm
aussie73

Really?

If you do meet your end in OZ l bet it won't be through any dangerous creature. Only 2 or 3 people are killed by snakes a year, no one has been killed by a spider since the 1950's. Compared to 1,000 per year killed in
car accidents. Few people who are bitten by snakes acually die, you usually have a few hours to get to hospital before you collapse where they give you a shot of anti venom which will make you alright. Most of the time when people are bitten by these deadly snakes they are'nt able to get enough venom into you to kill you and even without medical treatment you may just
feel very sick and not die. Snake venom is designed to kill small creatures not large animals such as humans. Snakes will only ever attack you if you pick them up or step on them, they are'nt going to chase after you as they are affraid of humans.

Last edited by aussie73; Nov 5th 2004 at 1:57 pm.

Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
If you do meet your end in OZ l bet it won't be through any dangerous creature. Only 2 or 3 people are killed by snakes a year, no one has been killed by a spider since the 1950's. Compared to 1,000 per year killed in
car accidents.
Australia's annual road death toll is over 1700 a year - not 1000. It has never been as low as 1000 (not in the last 40 years, anyway). 1700-1800 road deaths per year has been the trend for the last 10 years or so. Go back as far as 1970, the number killed on Australian roads was 3800. Road death toll has been dropping since then but has remained stagnant for the last few years at around the 1750 mark.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Australia's annual road death toll is over 1700 a year - not 1000. It has never been as low as 1000 (not in the last 40 years, anyway). 1700-1800 road deaths per year has been the trend for the last 10 years or so. Go back as far as 1970, the number killed on Australian roads was 3800. Road death toll has been dropping since then but has remained stagnant for the last few years at around the 1750 mark.
Yeah right, but at at least you can see a sixty four wheel road train hiding in your bed.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:19 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

car accidents. Few people who are bitten by snakes acually die, you usually have a few hours to get to hospital before you collapse where they give you a shot of anti venom which will make you alright. Most of the time when people are bitten by these deadly snakes they are'nt able to get enough venom into you to kill you and even without medical treatment you may just
feel very sick and not die. Snake venom is designed to kill small creatures not large animals such as humans. Snakes will only ever attack you if you pick them up or step on them, they are'nt going to chase after you as they are affraid of humans.
If one is going bushwalking and the like, a good set of bandages, and a knowledge of how to apply them will offset the progress of snake venom for hours and hours, plenty of time to get help. I believe you can buy 'snake bandages and kits' readily if you want to.

Also gaiters are available to wear from boot to knee for protection. Probably not necessary for going to town :-) but if you're out in the rough stuff it's added protection.

the Sydney funnelweb is dangerous and one should also apply the compression bandage method for their bites, but I believe that for all other spider bites, cold compresses/icepacks are recommended. Their are a few good sites for first aid info.

Be Prepared is the cub scout motto I believe.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:46 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

Hi there Kentish Man,

Was wondering how you were getting on and by the sounds of it you're turning into the anglo version of Steve Irwin!!!

Bloomin' 'eck lad, you've certainly had your quota of scarey animals/arachnids since landing.

Made me feel a bit easier noticing you're in SA and were heading for VIC (but not much!!!)

How are you settling in? Must be about 3 or so weeks now. Was the flight OK and did you stop over before hitting SA (can't remember)?.

Keep us posted on your adventures!!!!

D D
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:07 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Well you are out in the sticks...................

A Red-bellied black is not going to kill you........possibly hospitalise at worst. They are a docile snake and their bite is nowhere near as lethal as folks, including most Aussies like to make out.

Taipans certainly are deadly, but not as deadly as the fierce snake of Western Qld's Black soil country. I do wish the text books would get this right.

Eastern Brown Pseudonaja textilis (as opposed to King Brown which is a totally different species), is deadly and also aggressive. That's the one to be wary of.

As for spiders, I love 'em! They won't kill you, and if they bite, then antivenom is readily available. To me, where you're living is paradise. I was looking for these things when I was there!
Just hospitalised? Oh that's alright then.

I do love the snakes, have to admit, and I'm going out looking for them. The Red Bellied Black lay motionless so I had a good chance to get a close look, beautiful creatures. When it did decide to move it moved at quite a pace though! The Brown Snakes (Eastern Browns round here) get away as quickly as possible although they do have a reputation for aggressiveness according to the locals. I've heard that Tiger Snakes are the most dangerous in Oz (if not the most venomous) accounting for the most fatalities because of their aggressive nature when disturbed.

Spiders don't bother me much one way or the other although I have been on the lookout for red backs. Last time I was here I was moving tyres around when the missus calmly informed me that tyres are the location of choice for your average red back. Sure enough there were a couple in the tyre I was carrying. There's a belief amongst Aussies that the white tipped spider bite will rot your flesh but I suspect this is a myth. Any ideas?

As there's not much else to do where I am at the moment I am appreciating the nature around here. Brightly coloured birds, lizards, kangaroos etc.Makes a change from the Medway towns where the only wildlife you're likely to see is the odd squashed bunny.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Just hospitalised? Oh that's alright then.

I do love the snakes, have to admit, and I'm going out looking for them. The Red Bellied Black lay motionless so I had a good chance to get a close look, beautiful creatures. When it did decide to move it moved at quite a pace though! The Brown Snakes (Eastern Browns round here) get away as quickly as possible although they do have a reputation for aggressiveness according to the locals. I've heard that Tiger Snakes are the most dangerous in Oz (if not the most venomous) accounting for the most fatalities because of their aggressive nature when disturbed.

Spiders don't bother me much one way or the other although I have been on the lookout for red backs. Last time I was here I was moving tyres around when the missus calmly informed me that tyres are the location of choice for your average red back. Sure enough there were a couple in the tyre I was carrying. There's a belief amongst Aussies that the white tipped spider bite will rot your flesh but I suspect this is a myth. Any ideas?

As there's not much else to do where I am at the moment I am appreciating the nature around here. Brightly coloured birds, lizards, kangaroos etc.Makes a change from the Medway towns where the only wildlife you're likely to see is the odd squashed bunny.
The bite of some spiders can turn necrotic and folks have been known to lose a finger. I believe the American Black Widow spider is particularly notorious for that. Don't know about the Whitetail though.......
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:40 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by binman
Yeah right, but at at least you can see a sixty four wheel road train hiding in your bed.
Your not going to find a snake hiding in your bed either unless someone puts it there.

Last edited by aussie73; Nov 6th 2004 at 1:15 pm.

Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Your not going to find a snake hiding in our bed either unless someone puts it there.
(sorry, couldn't resist it!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:23 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Pollyana
(sorry, couldn't resist it!
l guess there is something else that could be mistaken for a snake in the bed,
hopefully you will think twice before attacking it with a knife.

Old Nov 6th 2004, 3:35 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

l guess there is something else that could be mistaken for a snake in the bed,
hopefully you will think twice before attacking it with a knife.
LOL you mean the one eyed trouser snake? very dangerous!!! all women beware !!! It's bite has been known to cause abdominal swelling for over nine months then afterwards vaginal discomfort has been reported followed by sore nipples!!...after that eighteen years of sheer hell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.