Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dangerous Christmas Driving???

Dangerous Christmas Driving???

Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:37 pm
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dangerous Christmas Driving???

I saw this course offered on the ozzie Autotrader sight and I'm intrigued why is it more dangerous to drive around xmas time in Australia?

Obviously in the UK we might get snow and dark evenings around this time but what's the hazards in Oz?
Could it be the animals are more lively at that time of year and the course will tell me how to avoid an over active Koala at 90KM an hour?
Or will they teach me how to drive to the shops in half the time avoiding all the speed cameras to pick up my xmas chook?
What with the recent spells of hot weather I'm guessing you might learn how to drive your car while the rubber on your tyres slowly melts but other than that I've not a clue.

Heres the link anyhow I'm sure someone on here has probably been on it.

http://www.autotrader.com.au/autonew...\4799_2741.txt
Old Nov 15th 2003, 5:29 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dangerous Christmas Driving???

Originally posted by mr2blue
I saw this course offered on the ozzie Autotrader sight and I'm intrigued why is it more dangerous to drive around xmas time in Australia?

Obviously in the UK we might get snow and dark evenings around this time but what's the hazards in Oz?
Could it be the animals are more lively at that time of year and the course will tell me how to avoid an over active Koala at 90KM an hour?
Or will they teach me how to drive to the shops in half the time avoiding all the speed cameras to pick up my xmas chook?
What with the recent spells of hot weather I'm guessing you might learn how to drive your car while the rubber on your tyres slowly melts but other than that I've not a clue.

Heres the link anyhow I'm sure someone on here has probably been on it.

http://www.autotrader.com.au/autonew...\4799_2741.txt
At a guess....its probably a defensive driving course. You get more drink-drivers on the roads at xmas, and combined with the extra traffic, could cause problems.....
Old Nov 15th 2003, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dangerous Christmas Driving???

Lots of reasons why its dangerous. Firstly its the big school holidays, half the country (it seems) decide to hop in a car and drive enormous distances to see relatives or take a holiday. The roads are jammed up with traffic and one accident causes enormous tailbacks usually in incredible heat to boot! Our normal drive from Bris to Sunshine Coast about 1.5 hours can turn into a 4 hour nightmare during December and January.

Plus Drink driving, Speeding to get those long distances over, and heat causing stress. Falling asleep at the wheel on such long drives is so common they have 'Driver reviver" vans set up offering free tea and water to keep people awake. Its a nasty time of year to be getting anywhere avoid it if you can.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

And of course xmas is smack bang in the middle of the tourist season.

See it every year - tourists getting off a long flight then doing something stupid like hiring a car & driving for 5hrs. And they wonder why they end up at the bottom of a ditch