Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Danger Downunder

Danger Downunder

Old Oct 4th 2005, 1:49 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Danger Downunder

For everyone out there worried about spiders, snakes and things that go bump in the night have a read of this article on the BBC site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4308034.stm

Between 1980 and 1990 the number of human fatalities due to flora and fauna was:

20: Bee stings
18: Snakes
12: Marine animals (excl. crocs and sharks)
11: Sharks
8: Crocs
1: Spider

During the same period there were 32772 killed in road accidents and 19 killed by lightning strikes, kind of puts it all into perspective.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 1:58 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Danger Downunder

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
kind of puts it all into perspective.
Not if you were one of the 70-odd killed due to flora and fauna it doesn't!

Nicky
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Not if you were one of the 70-odd killed due to flora and fauna it doesn't!

Nicky
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
For everyone out there worried about spiders, snakes and things that go bump in the night have a read of this article on the BBC site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4308034.stm

Between 1980 and 1990 the number of human fatalities due to flora and fauna was:

20: Bee stings
18: Snakes
12: Marine animals (excl. crocs and sharks)
11: Sharks
8: Crocs
1: Spider

During the same period there were 32772 killed in road accidents and 19 killed by lightning strikes, kind of puts it all into perspective.
Bleedin hell....wot were these then if this excludes crocs and sharks?

Killed by a killer sponge :scared:
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:21 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Bleedin hell....wot were these then if this excludes crocs and sharks?

Killed by a killer sponge :scared:
per article:
This group includes box jellies, stonefish, blue-ringed octopus and cone shells
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by walaj
per article:
This group includes box jellies, stonefish, blue-ringed octopus and cone shells
Was kiddin

Apparently though, box jellyfish are Queensland way aren't they?

And talking of octopus, I saw some baby ones in a jar in the supermarket last week. Could see all its suckers

Ewwwwwwwe..

I nearly threw up
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:42 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Was kiddin
sorry being a bit slow today

Seen several octopuses on dives, best one in Aug that was out on a ledge and got a good piccy too (that was in British waters).

Also seen stonefish, but not the rest. Would not mind with the exception of the jellyfish.

Sea snakes are suppose to be v vemenous, but they can't get their mouth wide enough to bite a human (not like that piccy of a (land) snake eating a kangaroo on the another thread recently )
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:46 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

(not like that piccy of a (land) snake eating a kangaroo on the another thread recently )
Oooo, please can you find the thread link for me so I can have a look?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:50 pm
no longer searching

post #27
enjoy
Old Oct 4th 2005, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

sorry being a bit slow today

Seen several octopuses on dives, best one in Aug that was out on a ledge and got a good piccy too (that was in British waters).

Also seen stonefish, but not the rest. Would not mind with the exception of the jellyfish.

Sea snakes are suppose to be v vemenous, but they can't get their mouth wide enough to bite a human (not like that piccy of a (land) snake eating a kangaroo on the another thread recently )
Yes I've seen octopus when diving as a kid in Cyprus. Lovely to watch, much nicer than in a jar [ewwweeee... still wanna be sick ]

Never seen a stonefish. Are they the fish that look like stones [doh ] and are higly venemous if you stand on them?

Sea snakes, my last boss was a deep sea diver and used to go all over the world. Apparently, she was diving off the GBR....and as she came up for air a sea snake was centimetres away. She hadn't seen it but her partner was motioning to her and looked as white as a sheet....anyways all was well.Apparently they are not agressive, thankfully [she was a lovely boss ]

Yes, I saw that piccie of the snake pulling a kangaroo out from the water. Is it real do you think? Looks suss to me

Anyways, been here ove a year and the most dangerous thing I've seen so far.....is my face first thing in the morning