Dandenongs

Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:48 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Smile Dandenongs

Hi everyone

I am new to the group and would appreciate information from anyone living in and around the Dandenongs (Melbourne). We will be arriving in April and have had some feedback about the area, but would like to hear other's views. We are thinking of renting in or around the Emerald, Sassafrass, Kallista area so if any of you are there please let us know what you think. I know it will be a bit of a trek into the CBD but that isn't a problem. We are a family of 5 with 3 young children so particularly interested in how child-friendly the area is (schools aren't a big issue though, as we are home educators)

Thanks in advance.

Kirsty
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:59 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: Dandenongs

Originally posted by kirsty&al
Hi everyone

I am new to the group and would appreciate information from anyone living in and around the Dandenongs (Melbourne). We will be arriving in April and have had some feedback about the area, but would like to hear other's views. We are thinking of renting in or around the Emerald, Sassafrass, Kallista area so if any of you are there please let us know what you think. I know it will be a bit of a trek into the CBD but that isn't a problem. We are a family of 5 with 3 young children so particularly interested in how child-friendly the area is (schools aren't a big issue though, as we are home educators)

Thanks in advance.

Kirsty
Hi Kirsty
We live not too far from those area,s they are really nice and we drive up there often, there isnt that much to rent around there though last time i checked but you may get lucky and find something.
You will need a car without a doubt with 3 young uns in tow, have you got a house in mind or are you going to look over the net? good luck anyway with your searches just let me know if you need any more info...
johanne
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kirsty

Terry forwarded on this thread as he thought that I could be of some use to you!!

We are also a family of 5 with 3 young girls. We have just moved out of rented accommodation in Emerald and brought a place in Sassafras...

I found Emerald didn't have much of a community although it did have all the necessaries for every day life..... The school was ok but I felt that the kids were lacking in their education there. Our babysitter goes to the secondary there and says it is best to avoid it. The house prices there were also way out priced if you wished to live within walking distance to the shops.

We only moved to Sassafras last month but already it seems like home!! Everybody is so kind and we have already had several BBQ's with the neighbours and a street party to welcome us is coming up. You do need transport here but it only takes my husband 15mins to train and then 45 to cbd. There are all amenities in the suburbs around the area.

The local school here is very small but so far the kids are doing very well and being pushed to their potential. It is meant to be a few degs colder here than in the subs. After coming from England we decided that the weather wasn't that important (we would have chosen Queensland if we wanted the heat)

If I can be of more use please send us a personal message.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 9:51 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I live in Ferntree Gully at the bottom of the Dandenongs, Sassafrass Olinda are lovely little towns. My daughter has just moved in with her boyfriend in Monbulk which seems another very friendly little place. It sure can get a bit colder up the hills, I believe they occasionally get some snow in Winter to. Good luck with the move I'm sure you will enjoy the Dandenongs area.

Bill.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 1:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My brother lives on Fordyce road up there and doesn't complain!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:23 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dandenongs

Hi

Thanks for your replies, good to see that most coments were positive, which reinforces the feedback we have had from elsewhere. It's true that there are not too many rental properties around so I guess we can't be too fussy about the type of house and exact location. Hopefully a 6-12 month rental will mean we can get to know all of these communities before choosing where to buy.
Clare, it would be good to contact you off list. I am a bit of a dunce at this, do I just click on 'email'?

Regards, Kirsty