Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Damn, I forgot my paddle!

Damn, I forgot my paddle!

Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damn, I forgot my paddle!

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I hear you!

Hear you too!

Have been with 'hardship' all year on an off but ta.

Currently got the 3 months to sort this mess out or ...
Nothing to add really, but you are good people and I hope you sort yourselves out.

Vasbyt.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:06 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Nothing to add really, but you are good people and I hope you sort yourselves out.

Vasbyt.
Cheers.

Well reduced asking price yesterday by $15,000 only find it attracted 6 viewings of the website today.

Not gonna happen by the looks of things.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

and look where I am, up Shit Creek ...

Can't sustain mortgage anymore as Nic is off work with depression again, possibly never to return (here anyway) to work. House is on the market, end sale (if ever happens) won't cover mortgage, bank won't give personal loan to cover any shortfall from house sale without 'arrears' being paid. Arrears currently at $4,800, and no current way of paying that off.

Now to make it even better I am on a payment plan with the bank and pay $500PM. Normal payment would be $2,500 odd so the remainder gets slapped onto the total balance each month - $2,000PM

As hard as I look, I see no answer! ...
Hi Paul

Just a few thoughts. Did Nic suffer depression (or an exacerbation of her depression) caused by work? If so, maybe there is a possibility of a WorkCover claim? (Although psychiatric claims are very difficult.)

Does she have any income protection or Total and Permanent Disability Insurance in her Super?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

I am so sorry. I will keep you in our thoughts and I hope you can back on your feet really soon.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
Hi Paul

Just a few thoughts. Did Nic suffer depression (or an exacerbation of her depression) caused by work? If so, maybe there is a possibility of a WorkCover claim? (Although psychiatric claims are very difficult.)

Does she have any income protection or Total and Permanent Disability Insurance in her Super?
Yeah it was all brought on by them putting pressure on her, but she was on probation so doubt there's much that can be done.

No protection and last time we tried both our superfunds they both said naaaah to trying to get any money out.

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I am so sorry. I will keep you in our thoughts and I hope you can back on your feet really soon.
Thanks.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Yeah it was all brought on by them putting pressure on her, but she was on probation so doubt there's much that can be done.
It doesn't matter if she was on probation - she can still make a WorkCover claim.
Did it all happen in the last 6 months? It may be worth looking into if her doctor thinks that her illness was brought on/aggravated by her work and is prepared to write her a workers comp medical certificate. But there is a get out for WorkCover and the employer if they can show that the illness was caused by "reasonable management action" by the employer.

Also bear in mind that TPD insurance is something different from getting your money out of Super. It is a separate insurance and the premiums are paid out of your (or your employer's contributions). It may just be worth specifically checking with the Super fund whether there is TPD insurance.

(A lot of my clients don't even realise they have it. I'm a solicitor in case you hadn't guessed )
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
It doesn't matter if she was on probation - she can still make a WorkCover claim.
Did it all happen in the last 6 months? It may be worth looking into if her doctor thinks that her illness was brought on/aggravated by her work and is prepared to write her a workers comp medical certificate. But there is a get out for WorkCover and the employer if they can show that the illness was caused by "reasonable management action" by the employer.

Also bear in mind that TPD insurance is something different from getting your money out of Super. It is a separate insurance and the premiums are paid out of your (or your employer's contributions). It may just be worth specifically checking with the Super fund whether there is TPD insurance.

(A lot of my clients don't even realise they have it. I'm a solicitor in case you hadn't guessed )
Sorry missed this reply.

Yeah it was work that tipped her over the edge, but TBH she was heading towards it anyway. Don't think we'd stand a chance anyway, but thanks for the advice ...

Don't rain it pours! ... ATO have sent me 2 bills. One for $750 where my accountant stuffed up last year with figures ... ... and now another from child benefit for $995.

Nic don't seem to be able to get out of bed and now those dreaded words have fallen from her lips...

"Do you STILL think we did the right thing coming here?"

Breaks my heart.

Oh i'm having soooooooooooo much fun these days :rollthem****ingeyes:
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:44 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry missed this reply.

Yeah it was work that tipped her over the edge, but TBH she was heading towards it anyway. Don't think we'd stand a chance anyway, but thanks for the advice ...

Don't rain it pours! ... ATO have sent me 2 bills. One for $750 where my accountant stuffed up last year with figures ... ... and now another from child benefit for $995.

Nic don't seem to be able to get out of bed and now those dreaded words have fallen from her lips...

"Do you STILL think we did the right thing coming here?"

Breaks my heart.

Oh i'm having soooooooooooo much fun these days :rollthem****ingeyes:

Ah Paul, so sorry to hear things are not going well.
Would Nic be able to see a therapist for some CBT or counselling? xx
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kapri
Ah Paul, so sorry to hear things are not going well.
Would Nic be able to see a therapist for some CBT or counselling? xx
Comes to something when bankruptcy seems the only choice.

What a mess!

She was seeing a councillor recently but has used up all her credits. I say credits, and they're not, but x amount of sessions, all gone. She went to the GP recently and he referred her to some joker I see a while back. I didn't even bother using all my credits as I can easily draw up a 'how do I feel' list, give it a 1 - 5 rating and add it all up at the end ... useless! Oh but the American Navy use this .... so bloody what! ... i've been to enough councillors over the years with Nic to know that he was useless. Apparently all that's available unless we can pay the full price ...

Big prob is we know some VERY good councillors, but the other side of the world i'm afraid.

Damn! ... what do I sound like ...
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:27 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Comes to something when bankruptcy seems the only choice.

What a mess!

She was seeing a councillor recently but has used up all her credits. I say credits, and they're not, but x amount of sessions, all gone. She went to the GP recently and he referred her to some joker I see a while back. I didn't even bother using all my credits as I can easily draw up a 'how do I feel' list, give it a 1 - 5 rating and add it all up at the end ... useless! Oh but the American Navy use this .... so bloody what! ... i've been to enough councillors over the years with Nic to know that he was useless. Apparently all that's available unless we can pay the full price ...

Big prob is we know some VERY good councillors, but the other side of the world i'm afraid.

Damn! ... what do I sound like ...
Wish I knew the words to help Paul, but not a lot can be said that you guys don't already know.

If you can't get access to a councillor in person, is there someone Nic could e-mail. sometimes just putting thoughts in words can help you see clearer.

Thoughts are with you both - take care
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your troubles. If Nic can't find a half decent counsellor she can try Moodgym https://www.moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome which I think is free And there is always Lifeline 13 11 14 24/7. Hope there is a silver lining to this bloody big black cloud for you.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:54 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I've met Paul and he is a really nice guy. The determination he has shown throughout his whole journey to Australia is amazing. Even coming back to London on his own to do some 'cabbing' to get cash.

Honestly, he is long overdue some good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
I've met Paul and he is a really nice guy. The determination he has shown throughout his whole journey to Australia is amazing. Even coming back to London on his own to do some 'cabbing' to get cash.

Honestly, he is long overdue some good luck.
Thanks guy's, and thanks Sam for your words ...

Well Nic spoke to a Financial Councillor today and he said that we'd be better off as good as giving the keys back to the bank over going bankrupt straight away. The Lenders mortgage Insurance will cover the shortfall from the house sale, and then when LMI come to us, the councillor can deal with them on our behalf. Will end up well out of pocket whatever, but just need to get out of this house asap as it's not good for both of us being here. Normal feeling the guy reckons with all people in this boat.

So back to realestate.com but rentals now. Got mutley to factor into all of this and you'll find something easy enough when looking for a 4 bed house, but what we're gonna be able to afford it'll be a unit, and then it's 'no pets' with 99% of them ...

On the plus side Nic's laid off with the 'back to UK' statements so that's positive ...
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds a bit more positive - will be keeping for you both
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:57 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guy's, and thanks Sam for your words ...

Well Nic spoke to a Financial Councillor today and he said that we'd be better off as good as giving the keys back to the bank over going bankrupt straight away. The Lenders mortgage Insurance will cover the shortfall from the house sale, and then when LMI come to us, the councillor can deal with them on our behalf. Will end up well out of pocket whatever, but just need to get out of this house asap as it's not good for both of us being here. Normal feeling the guy reckons with all people in this boat.

So back to realestate.com but rentals now. Got mutley to factor into all of this and you'll find something easy enough when looking for a 4 bed house, but what we're gonna be able to afford it'll be a unit, and then it's 'no pets' with 99% of them ...

On the plus side Nic's laid off with the 'back to UK' statements so that's positive ...
Sending lots of positive vibes your way.

Once you are out of that house and back on track financially, things will seem so much better.
I really hope Nic is on the mend soon xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.