Reload this Page >

Damagaed Passport - HELP !

Damagaed Passport - HELP !

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Damagaed Passport - HELP !

Hi guys

sorry for the rushed and urgent nature of this but I'm supposed to fly to the UK tomorrow and have managed to damage my passport (with my PR visa in it) irreprably.

I spoke to the Consulate who said I can get a temporary 12 month emergency passport tomorrow morning, but what of getting back into Australia in a months time? Will DIMIA accept my PR in my old passport or will I have to get a new visa?

If anyone is online and can help I'd be eternally grateful

Thanks so much

Dave
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:54 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Damagaed Passport - HELP !

Will the passport number be the same on the emergency one? as the visa is linked to your passport number might cause probs.

Just a suggestion phone the airport customs/immigration, they should be staffed 24/7 and someone should be able to give you a definite answer, if they say yes it's OK ask them to fax or email you confirmation so you have it in black and white, after all one officer might say yeah no worries and another might give you hassle.

Good Luck!!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:55 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by windsordave
Hi guys

sorry for the rushed and urgent nature of this but I'm supposed to fly to the UK tomorrow and have managed to damage my passport (with my PR visa in it) irreprably.

I spoke to the Consulate who said I can get a temporary 12 month emergency passport tomorrow morning, but what of getting back into Australia in a months time? Will DIMIA accept my PR in my old passport or will I have to get a new visa?

If anyone is online and can help I'd be eternally grateful

Thanks so much

Dave
I think you will need to either keep your old passport with ytou when you return, or get a "new" visa stuck in the new passport.

Don't worry.

Bye
Mark
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 11:46 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Think this might help: http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/perm_res/02.htm#x8

8. I have a new passport - can I have my Resident Return Visa (RRV) label transferred from my old passport?
For a charge, you can obtain a new visa label to put into another passport providing your visa is still valid for travel and/or you have not become an Australian citizen.

For example, the passport containing your original documentation may have expired, been lost, stolen or damaged, or it no longer applies to you because you used to be on a family passport but now have your own. As there is a charge for this service, you should consider whether you need a replacement label.

You might prefer to apply for a new 5 year Resident Return Visa (RRV) rather than have the balance of your old RRV placed in another passport with a new visa label.

If your visa label is in a passport which has expired, you can continue to use the old label until it expires by carrying both your old and new passports when travelling.
I'd say either ring immigration at the airport tonight and get advice or get to airport as early as poss tomorrow and speak to them. The page I linked above does say you can apply for a Resident Return Visa at Aussie Embassy overseas but it looks like as long as your old visa is readable you should be fine. I would suggest take some documentation with you ie utility bills or something to prove you are resident here, better to be safe than sorry!

Last edited by Flying Banana; Apr 3rd 2005 at 11:48 am. Reason: addition
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 1:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Leave plenty of time for checking in for the return flight to Australia if you have a visa in an old passport as not all airline staff know about DIMIA policy and have been known to delay things while they check with DIMIA in Australia directly. People have missed flights for this reason.

As for the 'emergency' passport, make sure it's also valid for returning to Australia, not just going to the UK.

If you're planning to travel via the US, the 'emergency' passport will probably not be acceptable without a US visa.

When you get back to Australia and get a new full validity passport, the nearest DIMIA office ought to be able to give you a visa stamp in the new passport but this may depend on where/when the visa was issued originally.

I'm not sure if it's possible to 'ring immigration at the airport' and even if it was your problem is more likely to occur with the airline check-in desk in the UK.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 3rd 2005 at 1:49 pm.