Dalkeith?

Old Nov 22nd 2015, 9:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dalkeith?

Originally Posted by AmyLuke
Any opinions on Quinns Rocks? Apparently the guy he will be working for owns a few houses there?
When my partner and I were looking at moving in together he was leaving a house in Yanchep and I was leaving a house in Butler. He liked the quiet of (old) Yanchep - backing on to the golf course - and I really liked the proximity to the train of Butler. We did look at Quinn's, but we really didn't like the "feel" of the areas we looked. I'm sure there are some areas better than others there, but if there are we didn't find them. In the end we chose a place midway between our old houses and moved to Alkimos.

While you say your husband currently lays 700 bricks per day, please don't discount him working in 40+ degree heat and blazing sun. I really doubt he will be working at the same pace in the height of summer; or earlier like the heatwave we're having now. It's only November and there is a bit of a heatwave here with temperatures in the high 30's/low 40's. My partner works sometimes outside and says he freezes in winter in the cold and wet and roasts in summer in the heat. He's been here 30 years, so is pretty used to WA temperatures.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

AmyLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When my partner and I were looking at moving in together he was leaving a house in Yanchep and I was leaving a house in Butler. He liked the quiet of (old) Yanchep - backing on to the golf course - and I really liked the proximity to the train of Butler. We did look at Quinn's, but we really didn't like the "feel" of the areas we looked. I'm sure there are some areas better than others there, but if there are we didn't find them. In the end we chose a place midway between our old houses and moved to Alkimos.

While you say your husband currently lays 700 bricks per day, please don't discount him working in 40+ degree heat and blazing sun. I really doubt he will be working at the same pace in the height of summer; or earlier like the heatwave we're having now. It's only November and there is a bit of a heatwave here with temperatures in the high 30's/low 40's. My partner works sometimes outside and says he freezes in winter in the cold and wet and roasts in summer in the heat. He's been here 30 years, so is pretty used to WA temperatures.
Hi Dorothy, thanks for replying on Quinns. Yanchep sounds nice and quiet, we might have a look there. Yeah he definitely won't be doing 700 in Australian heat ha ha. At least while he's laying that many here we can be saving up some more money for our move. I'll also have a look at Butler thanks again x
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 10:11 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give an idea, my friend makes between $30k and $90k per year depending on projects going on and he's well known and in an area of less competition. So budget for that.

Also I'm not sure where the comments between accountant quals and book keeper started, just know I work for both, book keeper makes about $40-50k working from home, the accountant makes $170k. Big difference.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teza
Just to give an idea, my friend makes between $30k and $90k per year depending on projects going on and he's well known and in an area of less competition. So budget for that.

Also I'm not sure where the comments between accountant quals and book keeper started, just know I work for both, book keeper makes about $40-50k working from home, the accountant makes $170k. Big difference.
Oh that's brilliant! Thanks for that, definitely gives us a really good idea of what we can expect! The accountant / book keeping comments were silly but it seems to have ceased now thanks again for your help!! Really appreciate it x
Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I never considered looking at high schools but I will do now- thanks very much! Yeah it's pretty much same as UK now in winter- not as much work as normal if any, hopefully I'll be working once were settled and we've got some savings to bring over so should be ok but all points to consider. Thank you for your help x
Hi,
Can I ask why the Dalkieth area? (I might of missed it on your previous thread ....sorry)
Old Nov 24th 2015, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,
Can I ask why the Dalkieth area? (I might of missed it on your previous thread ....sorry)
It's ok, I just looked on school rankings and that came up top. Was maybe silly of me to just base a decision on this knowing nothing on the area x
Old Nov 25th 2015, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

If you are set on this area of the Western Suburbs, then I would suggest looking at Nedlands. It borders Dalkeith and gives you access to the same schools. Rental prices have certainly dropped over the past 6 months and there are some lovely homes on offer for around $700 a week.
It is a desirable area, close to the Swan River and all the recreation facilities that it provides. Most schools are a safe walking /riding distance. Many of the children who go to these local schools go on to nearby private schools.
It is an area of old and new money and Chelsea Tractors for the new money Mummy's are almost a requirement. The local supermarkets in this area are more expensive but with ALDI moving in next year, this may improve.
I do think it is worth considering Wembley Downs. There is a lovely new school there, the area is very nice and with Hale School nearby, it is also quite desirable. Lots to consider.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
If you are set on this area of the Western Suburbs, then I would suggest looking at Nedlands. It borders Dalkeith and gives you access to the same schools. Rental prices have certainly dropped over the past 6 months and there are some lovely homes on offer for around $700 a week.
It is a desirable area, close to the Swan River and all the recreation facilities that it provides. Most schools are a safe walking /riding distance. Many of the children who go to these local schools go on to nearby private schools.
It is an area of old and new money and Chelsea Tractors for the new money Mummy's are almost a requirement. The local supermarkets in this area are more expensive but with ALDI moving in next year, this may improve.
I do think it is worth considering Wembley Downs. There is a lovely new school there, the area is very nice and with Hale School nearby, it is also quite desirable. Lots to consider.
Thanks for your reply, really, really helpful! We have been having a look into Wembley Downs and that seems a good option but I'll have a look at Nedlands now too! Thanks again x
Old Nov 25th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok, I just looked on school rankings and that came up top. Was maybe silly of me to just base a decision on this knowing nothing on the area x
Its a good thing your thinking of schools, I think if it were me though I would firstly try and decide (your budget is not bad) if I want to live within City suburbs, near the beach, the hills or in other areas of WA ie Mandurah, Rockingham, Yanchep, and either North or South of the River, this might depend on your work, if your working in the City then I would not want to live in either of the last areas mentioned (my personnel choice) If I were to return to W.A then I would like to live near to the City but also near to Freo or Cottlesloe, these area's for me have character (not like a lot of the new Northern Subs) good links to the City and Beach and also some great schools. So here goes my choice if it helps with your budge, most suburbs along from South Perth towards East Perth, Booragoon, Melville, Rossmoyne,Leeming,Kardinya,Murdoch,Canning Vale, Kesington and a few area's of East Vic Park. All have great schools, excellent and quick connections to the City, your near to Private and Public Hospitals, a few University's (more than in the Northern subs) and they are really good, safe and nice areas with plenty of character, more space between homes. North of the river I would choose North and West Perth, Subiaco, Nedlands, South Duncraig, Mount Claremont, I would really only buy on the Coast side of the freeway if I wanted to be near the beach. I loved living in the "hills" though but that is definitely a personnel choice, we moved around a lot but we were happy in our last home. It does seem overwhelming when you have a larger choice because of your budget and you are not tied to an area because say of an office based job as your husband can work anywhere really. Good luck, your starting off in the right way by asking but try and have in mind what/where and want in your move.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Another important consideration is that you will likely want to buy a home once you are happily settled. Make sure you select a good school in an area that you can afford to buy in. With most homes in Dalkeith, Nedlands, Claremont, Cottesloe, Subiaco, etc starting at $1million, these areas might not suit your long term budget.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Jeez, I haven't been on this forum for 11 years...

Anywho - we are looking at relocating from Melbourne to Perth and are also deciding on locations as we have two little ones. My sister in law lives in Karrinyup which is lovely, close to the beach and I believe close to some very good schools - Lake Gwelup primary and Carine primary school. There are also some good catholic primary schools if you that is of any interest to you (we are going to go catholic at this stage if they'll let us in ) These are lovely areas and although not cheap, more affordable than Dalkeith.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Jeez, I haven't been on this forum for 11 years...

Anywho - we are looking at relocating from Melbourne to Perth and are also deciding on locations as we have two little ones. My sister in law lives in Karrinyup which is lovely, close to the beach and I believe close to some very good schools - Lake Gwelup primary and Carine primary school. There are also some good catholic primary schools if you that is of any interest to you (we are going to go catholic at this stage if they'll let us in ) These are lovely areas and although not cheap, more affordable than Dalkeith.
Welcome to BE!
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Welcome to BE!