Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

daft question about voltage...

daft question about voltage...

Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

jenniferalisonuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default daft question about voltage...

This is probably a really stupid question.. but is there any difference in voltage in australia? will my laptop and hairdryer work?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: daft question about voltage...

The voltages are the same so they will work fine. Different plugs of course.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

Only slightly off topic.....

One of the best pieces of advice I've had so far is to take all of your extension leads and multiway adapters.
Leave the UK plugs on the majority of your items and just change the one on the end of your 4 / 6 / 8 way adapter.

Most things should work but I'm even taking my kettle and toaster!

Charlene
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:26 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

quick boil kettles may trip the 10amp circuits out here.

As the circuit follows the other way, you'll also need an invertor for your plugs
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

I thought it all sounded a bit too good to be true.
I will look into it, I guess the replacement plugs do a lot of the work but I am always areful of overloading circuits.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by datamile
quick boil kettles may trip the 10amp circuits out here.

As the circuit follows the other way, you'll also need an invertor for your plugs
Ehh? What do you mean
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:39 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Ehh? What do you mean
indeed!!!??
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jenniferalisonuk
This is probably a really stupid question.. but is there any difference in voltage in australia? will my laptop and hairdryer work?
I was worried my ghd's wouldn't work, but they do

Was horrified when I went to Florida and they have different voltage and they wouldn't work!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:13 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Ehh? What do you mean
its just a little leg pulling mate
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:17 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharleneG
Only slightly off topic.....

One of the best pieces of advice I've had so far is to take all of your extension leads and multiway adapters.
Leave the UK plugs on the majority of your items and just change the one on the end of your 4 / 6 / 8 way adapter.

Most things should work but I'm even taking my kettle and toaster!

Charlene
for those that cannot be changed ie when the transformer forms part of the plug ( mobiles etc ) get some 4 way extensions ( from the uk ) and on arrival put an aussie plug top on it ( bunnings approx 2.50 each )

definitely dont try running anything that takes over say a couple of amps via an adaptor so for the dishwasher washing machine toasters kettles htrs etc
swap to an aussie one

the vast majority of adaptors ( but not all ) dont have an earth pin
why is that a problem ???
no earth pin and your not earthed should there be a problem you run the risk of getting an electrical shock via the metallic outer case / body of the appliance
secondly the phase and neutral pins are usually movable as these are made to fit a variety of outlets this means that the connection isnt always that good and anything with a decent load will cause the pins to heat up and could cause fire or burning of the adaptor

so my advice on arrival go to bunnings / mitre / local hardware/diy shop buy a pile of plug tops and get them fitted
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Steve O

Are they quite easy to fit for yourself?
As the daughter of an electrician I've been wiring plugs since the age of 7!
I'd like to think it's one of those independent woman type things I can do for myself. Are they straight forward to wire up? Are the wires colour coded the same as the UK?

Thanks
Charlene
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:43 pm
Worongary

Thanks Steve O

Are they quite easy to fit for yourself?
As the daughter of an electrician I've been wiring plugs since the age of 7!
I'd like to think it's one of those independent woman type things I can do for myself. Are they straight forward to wire up? Are the wires colour coded the same as the UK?

Thanks
Charlene
yes yes and o heres a piccie

regards steve

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/Reference/powerplug.htm
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o

regards steve

Oh you do know how to get a girl excited don't you!

I've just saved that to my favourites, OH will probably take the p*ss out of me for a week but I like to know about these things.
It will be me getting the screwdriver out to change them.

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:36 pm
Worongary

Oh you do know how to get a girl excited don't you!

I've just saved that to my favourites, OH will probably take the p*ss out of me for a week but I like to know about these things.
It will be me getting the screwdriver out to change them.

Thanks
i see your still in rochdale at the mo
where abouts are you guys heading too?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steve`o

regards steve

Steve, what is your take on the laws regarding only qualified electricians being allowed to fit plugs in most States ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.