Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

daft Q about plugs??

daft Q about plugs??

Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:52 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default daft Q about plugs??

When you take electrical items to oz can you re-wire them with oz plugs or do you have to use adapters?? Also is it worth taking a fridge over?? Sorry if its a daft Q x
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: daft Q about plugs??

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
When you take electrical items to oz can you re-wire them with oz plugs or do you have to use adapters?? Also is it worth taking a fridge over?? Sorry if its a daft Q x
Yes, you can, though there are rumours that you can't. Just get a plug re-wring kit from a hardware shop and away you go.

S
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Just go to Bunnings, buy loads of OZ plugs and swap them over on the electrical items.
Bring your fridge if you are allowed. We got told we couldn't so we sold ours, but others have managed to bring theirs. F/F here can be quite expensive.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:10 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Just go to Bunnings, buy loads of OZ plugs and swap them over on the electrical items.
Bring your fridge if you are allowed. We got told we couldn't so we sold ours, but others have managed to bring theirs. F/F here can be quite expensive.
on the flip side... we didn't bother bringing our fridge because we knew that arriving in summer it'd be one of the first things we'd need
picked up a 2nd hand one for a few hundred bucks and it's still going strong
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:11 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
on the flip side... we didn't bother bringing our fridge because we knew that arriving in summer it'd be one of the first things we'd need
picked up a 2nd hand one for a few hundred bucks and it's still going strong
Yes, I've noticed that second hand white goods can be great value if you shop about...

S
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't bring a fridge or freezer personally as UK fridges are made for the UK climate - they're not designed to withstand 40C heats, ie the compressors and stuff aren't designed to work *that* hard
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:40 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Bring a few 4way adapter extenion that way you only have to change one plug to an ozzy one ideal where you have a few appliances on the go at once ie kettle toaster /hairdryer straigtners !!!

Kris xx
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:42 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Bring a few 4way adapter extenion that way you only have to change one plug to an ozzy one ideal where you have a few appliances on the go at once ie kettle toaster /hairdryer straigtners !!!

Kris xx
Bring some 13 amp fuses too if you plan to do this. They are notoriously hard (read impossible) to find should one go...

S
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kris maynard

Kris xx
That is great advice! In fact we've done that with a couple of 4-ways - one has the tv, dvd player, hifi etc on. Another has the computer & all its gubbins. And the other has odds and sods on it. Fab idea!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, rewiring them is illegal and voids your contents insurance.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:16 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Technically correct (not sure in all states but QLD definitely!) - especially if a fire is proven to come from such an appliance.
However, I had a dozen australian plugs sent to me before I left and my electrician brother changed the plugs for me before they were shipped.

Technically, that should cover me! (course not true but my brother would verify my story!)

It is bizarre that a plug with a fuse - which protects the appliance from buring out, has to be replaced with one without!

Andrew
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
However, I had a dozen australian plugs sent to me before I left and my electrician brother changed the plugs for me before they were shipped.

Technically, that should cover me! (course not true but my brother would verify my story!)

Your Qld certified electrician brother?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:28 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Your Qld certified electrician brother?
Reckon I will tackle that problem when my toaster catches fire and burns the house down due to faulty plug wiring.

Ps: 10 x more people die each year from being electrocuted by toasters than being killed by sharks.

Andrew
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:29 am
has lost The Game

Ah, this myth again. Perhaps it is illegal in Qld (The smart state?) but elsewhere you do not require a qualified electrician to change your plugs for you.

This, from the state Govt of Victoria:

WHICH ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS CAN ONLY BE INSTALLED BY
REGISTERED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS?

Electrical safety regulations in Australian States and Territories prohibit electrical installing work being carried
out by other than registered electrical contractors or licensed electricians. So although it is legal to buy products
like electrical cable, switches and power points, it is illegal and dangerous for unlicensed persons to install the
items.

The Regulations DO permit unlicensed persons to connect plugs to their own electrical cords. However, the use
of ready made extension cords is encouraged as they may be safer than home wired ones. An incorrectly wired
plug can be fatal.

You can connect your own plugs at home without being a qualified electrician. However in the work place, according to Workcover (NSW) an unlicenced person may rewire a plug, however must have attended a competency training course to do so.

I have attached the pdf document as a reference.

S
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
COPJan2004.pdf (71.6 KB, 86 views)
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Ah, this myth again. Perhaps it is illegal in Qld (The smart state?) but elsewhere you do not require a qualified electrician to change your plugs for you.

This, from the state Govt of Victoria:

WHICH ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS CAN ONLY BE INSTALLED BY
REGISTERED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS?

Electrical safety regulations in Australian States and Territories prohibit electrical installing work being carried
out by other than registered electrical contractors or licensed electricians. So although it is legal to buy products
like electrical cable, switches and power points, it is illegal and dangerous for unlicensed persons to install the
items.

The Regulations DO permit unlicensed persons to connect plugs to their own electrical cords. However, the use
of ready made extension cords is encouraged as they may be safer than home wired ones. An incorrectly wired
plug can be fatal.

You can connect your own plugs at home without being a qualified electrician. However in the work place, according to Workcover (NSW) an unlicenced person may rewire a plug, however must have attended a competency training course to do so.

I have attached the pdf document as a reference.

S
OK - I stand corrected. It USED to be illegal in Vic, as was changing a washer on a tap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.