Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dad is an Australian Citizen, Can I go to OZ. ??

Dad is an Australian Citizen, Can I go to OZ. ??

Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Dad is an Australian Citizen, Can I go to OZ. ??

Hi there,

OK after being told there is no chance of me getting in to OZ in my current job etc.
My dad tells me he used to have an Australian passport, as he lived there for a total of around 7-8 years.
Now this passport expired maybe 15 years ago and he only just threw it out about 4 years ago. I thought it expired 4 years ago but apparently not.

Anyway,

Does this mean he is still a citizen of australia, he is now 67 and claiming pensions from the companys he used to work for out there but has no relations living out there at all.

I ask this as this look like my only means of getting out there.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:14 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Dad is an Australian Citizen, Can I go to OZ. ??

Originally Posted by philnorris
Hi there,

OK after being told there is no chance of me getting in to OZ in my current job etc.
My dad tells me he used to have an Australian passport, as he lived there for a total of around 7-8 years.
Now this passport expired maybe 15 years ago and he only just threw it out about 4 years ago. I thought it expired 4 years ago but apparently not.

Anyway,

Does this mean he is still a citizen of australia, he is now 67 and claiming pensions from the companys he used to work for out there but has no relations living out there at all.

I ask this as this look like my only means of getting out there.
Oh dear, sorry to hear your predicament. Given you believe this is your only means of getting in to Aus, then you must be cheesed off

To be honest, I don't know the answer to this one. Maybe you could ask JAJ as he seems well versed in the Australian DIMIA rules/regs & system.

My personal view [and I may be incorrect here so you MUST check it out with someone more knowledgeable] is that even if your father is a Aus citizen, then this does not automatically give you the same rights to enter Aus or live here. From what I can gather, unless you are currently dependant on your father i.e under 18 years of age and your father is a Aus citizen, then you are not likely to be able to live here

To reiterate though. Please seek advice from someone more knowledeable, maybe JAJ or a migration agent. This way you will receive professional advice and have the best chance of sucess.

Good luck

Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:31 am
ABCDiamond

A child born overseas can be registered as an Australian citizen by descent if:

* at least one of the natural parent was an Australian citizen at the time of the child's birth; and
* the registration is made before the child is 25 years of age.

A parent can apply for registration of Australian citizenship by descent on behalf of the child before the child reaches 18 years of age. Applicants over 18 and under 25 years of age may apply in their own right and must also meet good character requirements.

Under certain circumstances, a person may also apply for registration by descent in their own right if they were born outside Australia between 26 January 1949 and 15 January 1974 and their parent was an Australian citizen at the time of the person's birth and at the time of application.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/forms.htm

Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:34 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A child born overseas can be registered as an Australian citizen by descent if:

* at least one of the natural parent was an Australian citizen at the time of the child's birth; and
* the registration is made before the child is 25 years of age.

A parent can apply for registration of Australian citizenship by descent on behalf of the child before the child reaches 18 years of age. Applicants over 18 and under 25 years of age may apply in their own right and must also meet good character requirements.

Under certain circumstances, a person may also apply for registration by descent in their own right if they were born outside Australia between 26 January 1949 and 15 January 1974 and their parent was an Australian citizen at the time of the person's birth and at the time of application.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/forms.htm

Thanks ABCD....you came up trumps again

Ahhh....so maybe it is possible then

Great news

Here's hoping all works out then

Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it.

Well I am 27 which means I was born in 1977 so it does not look good if I needed to to this before I was 25.

Thanks again guys, I will keep plodding on and see what I can find out.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:45 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Well I am 27 which means I was born in 1977 so it does not look good if I needed to to this before I was 25.

You're welcome Phil....

Don't give in. Trying not to give false hopes...but half of getting here is about tenacity and getting over obstacles that seem like mountains at times

Keep at it.......seek migration advice as they oftern think of suitable / appropriate means of doing it. You never know

Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

When did your father become an Australian citizen? Was it before or after you were born?

You should be aware that the Government may remove the age limit for citizenship by descent next year - watch this space.

Also be aware that before 1984, Australia occasionally issued Australian passports to citizens of Commonwealth countries resident in Australia who were not Australian citizens.

What your father should do is apply for a new Australian passport. Does he have his citizenship certificate - if not, he may need to use form 119 to apply for a new one.

Jeremy
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks you so much for that guys, I will not give in,

My Dad was issued with his passport back in 1968'ish, 11 years before I was born, he then went on to live there for about 7-8 years. returning every now and then later to work.

He said it was a 20 year passport but thinks it expired back in 84 which is around 15 years.
He has since disposed of the passport as he thought he would not need it any more.
So it is possible he was issued with a passport and not been an australian citizen. hmmmm,

Thanks again

Phil Norris

Last edited by philnorris; Dec 10th 2004 at 12:23 pm. Reason: Spellings
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:24 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Dad is an Australian Citizen, Can I go to OZ. ??

Originally Posted by JAJ
You should be aware that the Government may remove the age limit for citizenship by descent next year - watch this space.
Jeremy,

Can you give me more about this????? I am 31 and would be happy if I could find out if I was included, as my Mum, StepDad & Brother are all citizens........

C
xxx
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you so much for that guys, I will not give in,

My Dad was issued with his passport back in 1968'ish, 11 years before I was born, he then went on to live there for about 7-8 years. returning every now and then later to work.

He said it was a 20 year passport but thinks it expired back in 84 which is around 15 years.
He has since disposed of the passport as he thought he would not need it any more.
So it is possible he was issued with a passport and not been an australian citizen. hmmmm,

Thanks again

Phil Norris
If he became an Australian citizen he should have a citizenship certificate. Before December 1973, people from Commonwealth countries (eg UK, NZ) only had to live in Australia for one year to register as Australian citizens, and did not have to attend a citizenship ceremony.

I don't know how many cases there actually were of Australian passports being issued to non-Australian citizens, but it was technically possible prior to November 1984.

His citizenship certificate is the key document. If he doesn't know where it is, he needs to apply for a new one.

Jeremy
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Jeremy,

Can you give me more about this????? I am 31 and would be happy if I could find out if I was included, as my Mum, StepDad & Brother are all citizens........

C
xxx
How and when did your mother become an Australian citizen? Be clear on this as otherwise you may be getting your hopes up unduly.

Jeremy
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again JAJ you and the other guys are being of great help to me with this.
Well he said he does vagley remember getting some thing and giving it to his mother when he first returned home, and that was the last he saw of it.

I have downloaded for 119, thanks for that, I will get him to fill it out and send it of asap.

Thank you

Phil,
Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

I have downloaded for 119, thanks for that, I will get him to fill it out and send it of asap.

Thank you

Phil,
There is a fee of AUD55 that needs to be paid with form 119. Check the website of the AHC London (he can apply there) to see what the GBP equivalent is.

Jeremy
Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is a fee of AUD55 that needs to be paid with form 119. Check the website of the AHC London (he can apply there) to see what the GBP equivalent is.

Jeremy
Ahhh brilliant, thanks again.
Hopefully this will get me some where near my goal of moving to Australia.

Phil
Old Dec 10th 2004, 3:33 pm
Professional Princess

Phil! Its Sam from PomsinPerth!

I was thinking about you.

Check it out about your Dad. And remember what I told you, you are only 27 and you can retrain.

Shame we cant meet up for a few beers and pick out a career.

My plan B is to start my nurse training next year if my hubby fails. I shall make damn sure he doesnt though.

Let me know what happens about this though wont you?

Have a great weekend.

Love Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.