Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DAB radio update

DAB radio update

Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:10 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default DAB radio update

Is anyone able to clarify for me whether or not the Cambridge DAB A300 radio I brought with us from the UK will work when digital radio is rolled out? At the moment it can pick up the test signals in Sydney.

Yesterday, I read the latest news re digital radio broadcasts is that the Government is going with DAB+ rather than DAB, and that DAB receivers will not be compatible with DAB+ (so we'll have to buy a new receiver?). Also, the test signals will be switched off gradually from June till mid-2008.

Have I understood this information correctly? The Govt is testing digital radio with one form of technology (DAB) but intends to actually roll out the network using DAB+? And have I got it wrong, and a DAB receiver will be able to pick up DAB+?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DAB radio update

Originally Posted by chels
Is anyone able to clarify for me whether or not the Cambridge DAB A300 radio I brought with us from the UK will work when digital radio is rolled out? At the moment it can pick up the test signals in Sydney.

Yesterday, I read the latest news re digital radio broadcasts is that the Government is going with DAB+ rather than DAB, and that DAB receivers will not be compatible with DAB+ (so we'll have to buy a new receiver?). Also, the test signals will be switched off gradually from June till mid-2008.

Have I understood this information correctly? The Govt is testing digital radio with one form of technology (DAB) but intends to actually roll out the network using DAB+? And have I got it wrong, and a DAB receiver will be able to pick up DAB+?
I don't have the time to read through it all, but this Wikipedia entry may help...

S

DAB
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:11 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I think it means the trials were initially DAB, but they've decided to go with DAB+, which is of better quality, and trials of DAB+ will begin soon and replace those on DAB.

As far as yor receiver is concerned it looks like it will become obsolete. At least you got to use it, I've got the same model and it never worked here...

Big.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to know the advantages of DAB, over say the Foxtel broadcasts or internet radio, especially now that internet has ADSL2 speeds and above and broadcasts are available in hi fi, even on the wireless network ?

Is it like the old sony beta max, redundant before it gets of the ground here ?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:55 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
I think it means the trials were initially DAB, but they've decided to go with DAB+, which is of better quality, and trials of DAB+ will begin soon and replace those on DAB.

As far as yor receiver is concerned it looks like it will become obsolete. At least you got to use it, I've got the same model and it never worked here...

Big.
Yes, our receiver will be obselete - because Australia is taking so long to roll out digital radio. Apparently because DAB has been available for a while in the UK and some other countries, DAB+ won't be rolled out for a good few years yet over there.

I find it ridiculous that DAB+ and DAB receivers aren't compatible. Why not? Is it so the manufacturers can make more money out of us? There are obviously some people in Australia who have a DAB receiver or they wouldn't be able to test it, and now they all have to buy a new DAB+ receiver. :curse:

Rant over. It makes no difference really to me as Brisbane isn't in the trial area. No more digital radio for me until 2009 - if even then.

ozzieeagle:
Re digital radio v radio over the internet - the sound quality is much better apparently. We only got one because OH wanted a tuner, and thought he may as well get a digital radio receiver. When we brought it over, we didn't expect it to work so the three years use we've had out of it has been a bonus.

swerv-o:
Thanks for the link.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
ozzieeagle:
Re digital radio v radio over the internet - the sound quality is much better apparently. We only got one because OH wanted a tuner, and thought he may as well get a digital radio receiver. When we brought it over, we didn't expect it to work so the three years use we've had out of it has been a bonus.

swerv-o:
Thanks for the link.

Lossless codecs are becoming the norm now, the only restriction being bandwidth availablity, anything computer based is software upgradable.

DAB did indeed miss the boat in this country, and is a great indicator as to how this country fares with the rest of the world.

So whilst no DAB stations of any substance exist, Aussie took to this instead, as to take advantage of world broadcasts, which will in itself become redundant as computer software will take over, with the new gen of mini portable notebooks etc.

http://www.torian.com.au/

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 5th 2007 at 4:28 am.