DAB in Oz?

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default DAB in Oz?

I listen to a lot of talk based radio in the UK and LOVE my DAB radio, wouldn't be without it!

I was just wondering if Oz broadcast DAB at all?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:14 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: DAB in Oz?

http://www.broadcastaustralia.com.au/radio_digital.html
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Thanks Stormz, I'll take a look
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Paul2004
I listen to a lot of talk based radio in the UK and LOVE my DAB radio, wouldn't be without it!

Don't work! ...

Oh well, pressie for mum at Xmas I guess.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:11 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

apparently they are expanding digital radio very soon, so may be worth holding on to...

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Don't work! ...

Oh well, pressie for mum at Xmas I guess.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

cookem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul2004

Listen to it over the internet on your computer.
Old May 4th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure I buy the DAB is superior to FM thing, and I suspect a covert ploy to get everyone off FM so that the government can sell off the bandwidth.

There was an interesting complaint in the UK about and advertisement for a DAB radio … details here http://www.asa.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A...t_5_Oct_05.pdf

I think some of the features you get with DAB are pretty good, and I am sure they are capable of producing CD quality sound, but the reality is that 128kbps is probably about the norm.

Are DAB radio frequencies in the UK the same as Oz?
Old May 4th 2006, 7:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Get one of these - http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Pro...radio/WiFi.asp - and you'll be able to listen to everything from LBC to Radio 1 (4000 odd stations in all)
Old May 4th 2006, 7:55 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi

We listened via DAB digital a lot in UK and obviously brought our Pure radio with us only to find that Australia is still conducting trials on it that started about 3 years ago

They must surely know that the system works, from the UK model.

Not being a techie, I can't therefore see what the problem is in that respect at least.

It was interesting that I Emailed the trialling section through ABC radio twice over a 6 month period to enquire about the progress or lack of it and, surprise, surprise, they didn't even consider it polite to reply

So .............. watch this space in 1, 2 or 3 years time........ maybe.

Jim
Old May 4th 2006, 8:12 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

We listened via DAB digital a lot in UK and obviously brought our Pure radio with us only to find that Australia is still conducting trials on it that started about 3 years ago

They must surely know that the system works, from the UK model.

Not being a techie, I can't therefore see what the problem is in that respect at least.

It was interesting that I Emailed the trialling section through ABC radio twice over a 6 month period to enquire about the progress or lack of it and, surprise, surprise, they didn't even consider it polite to reply

So .............. watch this space in 1, 2 or 3 years time........ maybe.

Jim
Yeah mine is a Pure Evoke and I LOVED it in ther UK, but as I say not a lot of good here. I can run it as a FM radio tho so will prob hold on and hope it's 1 year over the 3.
Old May 5th 2006, 6:02 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

just stumbled upon this quote:

Commercial radio broadcasters said today they were pleased the Federal Government has set a start date for digital radio and were on track to launch digital radio services by 2009. :scared:

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah mine is a Pure Evoke and I LOVED it in ther UK, but as I say not a lot of good here. I can run it as a FM radio tho so will prob hold on and hope it's 1 year over the 3.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brisnick

Commercial radio broadcasters said today they were pleased the Federal Government has set a start date for digital radio and were on track to launch digital radio services by 2009. :scared:
Maybe the pressie for mum is still best then ...
Old May 7th 2006, 12:07 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brisnick

Jeezussssssssss - that's quick :scared:

Jim
Old May 7th 2006, 11:03 pm
Drunken Aussie

Well, I did a check and the BBC started transmitting digital radio in 1995. So if Aus gets going in 2009, there is the proof that Australia really is 14 years behind the UK!!
Old May 8th 2006, 1:22 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

This has been asked a couple of times. Try a search on "digital radio", or look here...http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=digital+radio

Seems some players work, others (mine) don't. Trials here are using the same technology as the UK.