Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DAB Digital Radio

DAB Digital Radio

Old Mar 13th 2006, 9:36 am
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light
Question DAB Digital Radio

Has DAB arrived in Oz yet and if so will my DAB radio from here work over there???
Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: DAB Digital Radio

13/10/2004
Digital radio is currently undergoing separate trials in Sydney and Melbourne, and digital radio receivers that allow you to tune in freely are now available to the public.
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....fp;1024;fpid;3

Digital roll out commences
27 Feb 06 - Work on the rollout of a digital radio network across Australia is underway, with comprehensive coverage reports on the first 11 commercial radio licence areas now complete, Commercial Ra... [ more ]

Australia unveils world’s first picture digital radio
14 Oct 05 - The Australian commercial radio industry today unveiled the world’s first digital radio capable of displaying pictures. The groundbreaking prototype, called the DAB Picture Radio, will a... [ more ]
http://www.digitalradioaustralia.com.au/

Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:44 am
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
13/10/2004
Digital radio is currently undergoing separate trials in Sydney and Melbourne, and digital radio receivers that allow you to tune in freely are now available to the public.
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....fp;1024;fpid;3

Digital roll out commences
27 Feb 06 - Work on the rollout of a digital radio network across Australia is underway, with comprehensive coverage reports on the first 11 commercial radio licence areas now complete, Commercial Ra... [ more ]

Australia unveils world’s first picture digital radio
14 Oct 05 - The Australian commercial radio industry today unveiled the world’s first digital radio capable of displaying pictures. The groundbreaking prototype, called the DAB Picture Radio, will a... [ more ]
http://www.digitalradioaustralia.com.au/
I'll let the shippers pack mine now.
Tracey
Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Glad I could help, but I don't have a clue what this all is

A radio is a radio isn't it ? At least I thought so, till I read that one about a radio with a picture Isn't that called a TV ?

Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:50 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Even though DAB here is using the same technology (Eureka 147), the Cambridge Audio DAB 300 I bought in the UK doesn't work here.

It didn't work the last time I tried anyway (about a year ago), and that was when I was living in Chatswood while test transmissions were happening. Chatswood is next door to the transmitters, so not much hope really.

I may have to open it up and investigate, but it'll probably end in tears with a pile of bits on the table...

For the uninitiated, normal radio is an analogue transmission (radio waves), whereas digital radio is a stream of bits (1's and 0's - like on a CD). The idea is it's less prone to interference, and you can transmit a lot of extra stuff along with the program (song name, news, advertising etc. displayed on a small screen). From what I remember, it was a very 'pure' sound on all channels - very impressive on the right equipment.

More here... Digital Radio Australia ... though I've got problems with this link at work - unless the whole thing has folded?

As with the UK, there's a concern about getting enough people interested to make it viable, the ones who take it up tend to be HiFi enthusiasts like myself - people who spend a fortune on HiFi separates and convince themselves the sound quality is worth it (??!!).

cheers,

Big.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

My Pure Evoke-1 works although there is not much to pick-up at the moment.

I eagerly await the day when it is worth using again.

Note, the Evoke has a separate power supply so you will always need to plug it into a UK socket by putting an Aus plug on the end of a 4-way UK socket or something.

Ian
Old May 8th 2006, 1:39 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ebo1608
My Pure Evoke-1 works although there is not much to pick-up at the moment.

I eagerly await the day when it is worth using again.

Note, the Evoke has a separate power supply so you will always need to plug it into a UK socket by putting an Aus plug on the end of a 4-way UK socket or something.

Ian
Hi

I used an Australian adaptor (bought at Dick Smiths) on my Pure Evoke but its still a no-go as far as a digital broadcast is concerned here on the Central Coast NSW.

Please see the other recent thread on this subject.

None of us should be holding our breath

Jim
Old May 8th 2006, 1:42 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Glad I could help, but I don't have a clue what this all is

A radio is a radio isn't it ? At least I thought so, till I read that one about a radio with a picture Isn't that called a TV ?

........ tis a mysterious world

.... but digital radio, as proved in the UK, is a light year on from analogue....... with or without pictures!

Jim