Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cycling in Sydney

Wikiposts

Cycling in Sydney

Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:01 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Cycling in Sydney

Any road cyclist out there that can answer a few questions for me? I am a keen cyclist and ride with a well established club based in the South West and regularly ride the hills and lanes of Surrey, Kent and Sussex. The club varies from competitive cycling to leisurely rides for those who just like to be out on their bike.
I wanted to gage what the cycling scene is like in Sydney. I have also heard rumours that Sydney is not the most cycling friendly city either. I have googled cycling clubs and a few have come up, but wanted to see if anyone has firsthand experience of the scene in Sydney? Oh by the way I fall into the category of average in ability and love doing long Sportives here in the UK.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cycling in Sydney

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
Any road cyclist out there that can answer a few questions for me? I am a keen cyclist and ride with a well established club based in the South West and regularly ride the hills and lanes of Surrey, Kent and Sussex. The club varies from competitive cycling to leisurely rides for those who just like to be out on their bike.
I wanted to gage what the cycling scene is like in Sydney. I have also heard rumours that Sydney is not the most cycling friendly city either. I have googled cycling clubs and a few have come up, but wanted to see if anyone has firsthand experience of the scene in Sydney? Oh by the way I fall into the category of average in ability and love doing long Sportives here in the UK.
Before I discovered beer, I used to do a lot of cycle riding, time trials etc in the UK. There are big groups of cyclists that go out and about.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to cycle in Sydney. The drivers are just so crap its probably one of the most dangerous things you coudl do. May be better to get a bike rack and drive out to cycle.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Crazy thing is you can legally cycle on the hard shoulder of a Motorway, I like to cycle around olympic park. I only live bout 10 mins drive from there and stick my bike on the back of the car
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:18 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sorry Im in brisbane - but Cycling is *huge* you wont struggle to find a club ride. Plenty of Sydney cycle clubs, triathlon clubs, etc that you can link up with and there will be shop rides wherever you land in the suburbs/city. Im sure a sydneysider will be along soon. But I'd be confident you'll be ok. Like everywhere -there are huge main roads that you'd be bonkers to ride on and just to the left of them are small old roads. Like all things its relative - Sydney is a tremendously sprawling environment, if you live in the cbd then yeah you are going to tough it out with the city traffic to get to open roads, if you live in , say, french's forrest, then they're on your doorstep. You will not struggle its lycra heaven. I do spend time in sydney regularly :-)

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/ << these guys are the main cycling organisation for NSW.
http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/ << And these guys :-) both have good links etc to start hunting

Last edited by spalen; Jul 13th 2010 at 11:52 am.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 5:17 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Cycling in Sydney

Roadie clubs are very active, doubly so for tri/biathlon stuff.

Cycling here is IMO much preferable to London, for example.

You won't hurt for options, that's for sure. You will hurt for money, though - it's often cheaper to get stuff sent across from CRC than it is to buy online locally or at an LBS.

>_<
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:54 pm
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Roadie clubs are very active, doubly so for tri/biathlon stuff.

Cycling here is IMO much preferable to London, for example.

You won't hurt for options, that's for sure. You will hurt for money, though - it's often cheaper to get stuff sent across from CRC than it is to buy online locally or at an LBS.

>_<
Thanks for the information. What is CRC and LBS
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:52 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information. What is CRC and LBS
LBS = Local Bike Shop

High Price is true - lots of guys buy from ProbikeKit and have it shipped, or Wiggle or Ribble . There are AUssie online stores that offer good value (well one) torpedo7.com.au
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:35 pm
Banned

I must admit we are quite spoilt for choice when it comes to cycling purchases with many online retailers based out of the UK as well as Europe thus creating very competitive prices. Also as many of you will know cycling is going through a boom here in the UK after the success of the British team in the Olympics and recent success on the road.

Are sportives popular in Aus? They have rapidly grown here in the UK and there is one just about every weekend now all around the country
Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:24 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

What is CRC and LBS
chainreactioncycles - like wiggle, a cheap and fast online shop based in the UK.