Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cycling in and around Brissy

Cycling in and around Brissy

Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Cycling in and around Brissy

Just in case folk were looking for cheap things to do with the kids,or just get a bit of exercise and enjoy the weather , recently we've been cycling a bit.

We've googled to find bike routes, and asked at the library for local maps. We're not looking for arduous, mountainous terrain :scared: , but I'm sure that exists too!

We've taken the bikes to Scarborough Beach, then cycled along the seafront up to Margate. It's lovely, and you can stop on the way and have some lunch (we like the food in Banjo's Cafe/Bakery in Redcliffe). There's a lagoon for the kids if they're brave enough for a dip...bit cold for me!

Yesterday we drove straight to Toowong (northside)(virtually one road changing names straight in very easy to get to), parked on a side street and cycled along the Brissy River. It was busy, but not annoyingly so, plus it was a bank holiday. You have a great view of the bridges across the river, the skyscrapers as you get closer, and then we finished up in the Botanics, where we ate lunch on the lawn.

I loved it, and we didn't even go across to the Southside, (next time!)
Oh and the beauty is there are quite a few City Cat jetties so you can jump on with your bike and head to a different part of the city for a cycle, then jump back on again etc....marvellous!!

Now, will try to upload some piccies of our little adventure...but it's normally a struggle between me and technology without Mr Logan's guidance...so forgive me if they don't appear!
Attached Thumbnails Cycling in and around Brissy-dscf0047.jpg   Cycling in and around Brissy-dscf0050.jpg  
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:56 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cycling in and around Brissy

Originally Posted by logan
Now, will try to upload some piccies of our little adventure...but it's normally a struggle between me and technology without Mr Logan's guidance...so forgive me if they don't appear!
Sounds like cyclists can have a great time, I especially like the idea of getting the City Cat to head for different areas. Almost makes me consider getting the bike out again

The pictures worked fine, but those on a 56k dial up connection may not want to click on them too often

Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:39 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sounds like cyclists can have a great time, I especially like the idea of getting the City Cat to head for different areas. Almost makes me consider getting the bike out again

The pictures worked fine, but those on a 56k dial up connection may not want to click on them too often
Nice piccies Logan.

The major bike routes (including those you mentioned) are on the very useful Our Brisbane website also
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:52 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Yesterday we drove straight to Toowong (northside)(virtually one road changing names straight in very easy to get to), parked on a side street and cycled along the Brissy River. It was busy, but not annoyingly so, plus it was a bank holiday. You have a great view of the bridges across the river, the skyscrapers as you get closer, and then we finished up in the Botanics, where we ate lunch on the lawn.
It's a good cycle path, something that is lacking in most areas. Good on Brissie council for building it. Got a mate who commutes to work along it. Certainly an encouragement to anyone thinking of leaving the car at home for a change.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I will have to tell hubby about this post, he wants to get a cycle and do some riding. It sounds like you had a great day. I love cycling too, but will have to wait until after I have given birth. Cycles and me are a dangerous combination, I came off over the handlebars one time.

Katie
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I will have to tell hubby about this post, he wants to get a cycle and do some riding. It sounds like you had a great day. I love cycling too, but will have to wait until after I have given birth. Cycles and me are a dangerous combination, I came off over the handlebars one time.

Katie
Hmmmm most def. wait till after the birth Katie!! Is it your first? My friend has a wee 8 week old boy....gorgeous!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hmmmm most def. wait till after the birth Katie!! Is it your first? My friend has a wee 8 week old boy....gorgeous!
New babies are lovely. I have had had a couple of new nephews recently and they are both gorgeous : ) The baby we are expecting at the moment is our second, we unfortunately lost a baby boy. I can't wait now, I am getting more excited everyday. LOL I guess I am being impatient.

Katie
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KatieStar
New babies are lovely. I have had had a couple of new nephews recently and they are both gorgeous : ) The baby we are expecting at the moment is our second, we unfortunately lost a baby boy. I can't wait now, I am getting more excited everyday. LOL I guess I am being impatient.

Katie
I'm very sorry for your loss. You haven't got long to go now have you, yeh..must let us know name/weight etc!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm very sorry for your loss. You haven't got long to go now have you, yeh..must let us know name/weight etc!
I have just over 4 weeks to go. I will let you know the name, weight etc. I am sure we will be very proud and watnting to share all the info.

Katie
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

We had a full days cycling yesterday - there is a certain parts of the anatomy which is a constant reminder of the fact.

Looking for different cycle routes ourselves, I've often noticed folk cycling through the Boondall Wetlands park - its looks like an interesting cycle path. I would advise though that after being eaten alive playing a round at Nudgee, to be well guarded from mossies - even during the day.

Regards Scot

Last edited by scotvness; Jun 14th 2005 at 8:10 am.