Reload this Page >

CVs - How long should they be?

CVs - How long should they be?

Old Feb 8th 2003, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CVs - How long should they be?

Hi all.

I'm just in the process of drafting a CV for my hubby so that when we go to Aus in April to have a look round, we can approach a few employment agencies.

In the UK I've often heard people say that a CV should be no longer than 2 sheets of A4 (1 if possible.) However I do remember reading somewhere that employers in Aus like to see much longer CVs. Does anybody know if that's right?

Nicstids
Old Feb 8th 2003, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CVs - How long should they be?

I think the reply was that agents are much the same as in UK.

The front page needs to grab attention to get the reader to look at the rest.
So front page should be Profile, Key Skilles expertise etc and summary of jobs/roles.

The next 2 pages should be the detail. I've had a lot of advice on this through an agency my company paid for and I got an agency in Australia to comment on whether it was suitable and she said it was good.

So 3 pages feels right to me... don't squeeze something key out just to get to 2 pages, however don't fill 4 with waffle.
Mash...

Originally posted by Nicstids
Hi all.

I'm just in the process of drafting a CV for my hubby so that when we go to Aus in April to have a look round, we can approach a few employment agencies.

In the UK I've often heard people say that a CV should be no longer than 2 sheets of A4 (1 if possible.) However I do remember reading somewhere that employers in Aus like to see much longer CVs. Does anybody know if that's right?

Nicstids
Old Feb 8th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

nicstids

under yahoo.com search using "curriculum vitae" + "layout"
we found loads of links.
There is so much advice, sift through and see what suits you, thats what we done and ended up with 4 pages.

good luck
karen and andy
Old Feb 8th 2003, 9:15 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CVs - How long should they be?

When I arrived in Melbourne, my CV was a concise 2-3 pages. A lot of agencies suggested I pad it out. It's now 4-5 pages, and I still get comments that it's a little light...

In the UK we normally put the main information, and fill in the gaps at interview. It seems Australia Employers want to know everything about your relevant experience from your CV, up front.

I agree with Mash, don't fill pages with waffle, but I would consider adding more of the smaller details, or less important information. To cover all bases, you could always keep soft copies of both, and ask the agencies their opinion.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Nicstids
Hi all.

Nicstids
Old Feb 8th 2003, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

daler is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Brit working for a recruitment organisation in Australia. A 3 page cv (resume) is quite sufficient, after that i tend to start yawning if you catch my drift. The main thing to have is both wrritten references and relevant phone numbers so submitted references can be checked out.

cheers

Dale
Old Feb 8th 2003, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

CrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud of

Based on my UK CV, ive always kept it to two pages, even as my CV gets better. I changed from putting my qualifications first (after i left uni) to putting my skill list followed by employment history first, and my education last.

im sure theres cases that require more than 2 pages but ive been in the position of reviewing CVs for job positions myself for a few years. from personal experience that after the first half page, if you havent grabbed my attention then im not interested. yes thats pretty hard and im certainly not saying thats how it happens it Oz, but I wld (in-expertly) say that CV length it not so important as grabbing attention at the start - much like a new drama on TV, where they will put a dramatic/shocking scene in at the start to get you hooked.

chrs
CrunchieFrog
ps. yes i review CVs. any spalling mistooks (hehe) show just how stupid my employer is. ahem.