Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CV's in Australia

CV's in Australia

Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

UK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to all
Default CV's in Australia

Hi there, wonder if anyone can help??

Do you know if there is a different layout/procedure of writing a CV for jobs in Australia?

My hubby is wanting to email his off to different companies shortly as we intend to travel in July to Perth and want to know how to set it out.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: CV's in Australia

Originally Posted by UK2Perth

Do you know if there is a different layout/procedure of writing a CV for jobs in Australia?

My hubby is wanting to email his off to different companies shortly as we intend to travel in July to Perth and want to know how to set it out.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Personally I don't have a CV / Resume, but this is a draft of a friends (minus details)

Don't know if any good, but it's from an Australian

Hope that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
resume.doc (24.0 KB, 210 views)
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:01 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

My advise is keep references to the UK out of your resume'. Give past employer names etc but leave out addresses since they arent relevant to your qualifications unless they arent valid here.

Send your resume' to professional head hunters, they dont mind dealing with foreigners though some wont even accept your application unless you are a pr
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in recruitment in UK and hence thought I'd got a fairly okay cv but having viewed Aussie ones I've struggled to change mine ..... the Australian cvs I've seen have often been in excess of 8 pages, plus any certificates you've ever got you name it! I decided I'd just explain that I'm a Brit and many employers in UK wouldn't even read first page, nevermind 10th! I also made the decision the include two references, they were glowing and from two most recent jobs .... I start work on Tuesday doing exactly what I want and for the hours I want, I'm pleased!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:51 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
In the UK you are encouraged to keep your resume brief - no more than 2 pages really. But over here, it is normal to go into great detail listing all jobs perhaps several pages.

The content is still the same and to start with a personal profile and main skills is a good idea.

References are very important here. They will be checked. If you can get Aussie ones that is much better, partly as they don't want to stay in the office late to call the UK and partly as there is always a fear of employing a pom who won't settle or integrate.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

UK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to all

Thanks very much for all your replies so far. What a carry on! I'm so used to hearing "try and keep it to 1 page, 2 maximum" and now to hear they are 7 or 8 pages long in Australia!!!! I havent a clue how to fill that many pages about mysef!!!!!

Thanks again.

Hayley & Barrie
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for all your replies so far. What a carry on! I'm so used to hearing "try and keep it to 1 page, 2 maximum" and now to hear they are 7 or 8 pages long in Australia!!!! I havent a clue how to fill that many pages about mysef!!!!!

Thanks again.

Hayley & Barrie
My UK CV has been oked by the australian agencies - i sent it over to tons of them and asked for feedback on its layout. It is 3 pages long and chocca full of info on my current job and projects I am involved in. Had positive feedback about it. My layout is:

Name
Address
Email address
UK telephone numbers (including UK code)

I have put here about holding Permanent Residency and date due to land.

1. Education Listed from the most recent
2. Current role in as much details as possible, including all people management information, systems etc.
3. Previous job and voluntary work undertaken. (all bullet pointed)
4. All additional internal training courses attended in a table format
5. PC knowledge and courses again in table format.
6. All project work undertaken over the past 18months, with a brief description of involvement under each heading.
7. Finally, I have put my personal profile.

In total it comes to 3 pages due to the detail on it and the font is on size 10.

One of the funny things that came back from one of the agencies was for me to include if I was a hunter or a farmer??? to say the profession I was applying for was as a bank manager it made me laugh.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:24 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

There is some useful stuff about resumes on the seek website...

http://seek.com.au/career-resources/

Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

You will also find many large corporations and government jobs require you to answer Selection Criteria. These will be with the job advert. They won't even look at your CV until they've read your answers to the selection criteria.

I've been in HR meetings where we chose candidates to interview. The CVs hardly came into it, we all had to read through reams and reams of SC answers though before the meeting and grade them.

JTL