Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CV writing for Oz

CV writing for Oz

Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:09 am
Just Joined

chrisve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CV writing for Oz

My approach currently is to go in with "guns" blazing showing them the best of me including a well polished cv. If this does not work then I will tone down. I have started contacting loads of employers directly over the last couple of days and have seen quite a few good positions. Here is holding thumbs that they will see my talents and potential.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

DoubleCabbage will become famous soon enoughDoubleCabbage will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chrisve
My approach currently is to go in with "guns" blazing showing them the best of me including a well polished cv. If this does not work then I will tone down. I have started contacting loads of employers directly over the last couple of days and have seen quite a few good positions. Here is holding thumbs that they will see my talents and potential.
When I hire, I am very wary of over-qualified individuals. Not just because salary expectations creep higher (they start comparing themselves to their peers and feel cheated, starts happening after about a year or so), there is a high likely hood of jumping ship after I have put in a lot of effort in training them, getting them to do things our way...

Education listing comes last for mid to senior level jobs. Don't get into the Grades rant unless for entry-level jobs. For entry-level, too high a GPA from a highly reputed University is less attractive than a low GPA kid from the same school. The latter tend to stay at the job longer.

In the end, I am trying to make the business grow and make my life comfortable. Just put yourself in your potential bosses shoes, and you will start seeing things differently.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I would say dont base yours on the CV linked earlyer, I dont mean to offend but that one is ugly. It may have all the relevant information but it just looks terrible, a CV needs to look nice and make people want to bother reading it, spacing it out and formating it correctly are a good start, but above all else make it something thats easy to understand at a glance.

People dont have time to sit and read paragraphs about your previous jobs, they want something quick that gives them the info they need. Making it look a bit stylish as well will get their interest
(Hi HUP mate!)

Actually when looking for people to interview through CVs, I found that a gut feel about the person and a few keywords jumped out. The rest was sheer luck.

People got interviewed too if they were interesting. I find many CVs I look at all seem the same and a lot of people come across as very similar. I don't care how nice a CV looks.

So I'd say there no such thing as a perfect CV. Agree that education at the bottom, but above interests, and that past work experience must not drone on and on. I find that people tend to put too much detail about past jobs and what they achieved in each role - I don't care - are they employable? a) are they a good person b) do they have the skills c) are they interesting.

It's why I would never apply for a govt job where they do seem to worry about past achievements and some sort of formula and standard.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
I would not tell anyone to base there resume on mine as I actually customize it when I apply. The main points from it are to convey meaning in your duties and responsibilities without writing paragraphs of information which are unlikely to be read and also to use space effectively.

Attached are a couple of samples that participants have done on the course with all personal details changed.

In these samples they use a career objective and skills summary. There is a lot of debate over the use of these. Personally I like them in that you can at the start of your resume very quickly make it clear that you want the job that you are applying for as opposed to it being a resume that you send out to all jobs. If you look at the job ad and pick out the key skill requirements you make sure they feature in your skill summary (providing you have them of course). This way you are making the resume readers job easier.

There is a massive array of formats that you can use for a resume and based on the type of job you are applying for you may need to investigate the expected format.

Seeing many CVs must be the best education, HUP. What not to do.

Actually, in my industry, a one-size fits all CV can work, and a paragraph entered on seek is often enough to highlight.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the sample cv's

Mine stands at 4 pages even though I have it trimmed down.

A bit more info on the scanning process would be nice.

I applied for 2 positions with one agency on different days and got an automated refusal email within the hour. My skills matched about 80% of the requirements.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Feel bit strange when people put “Referees available upon request". Is it the norm? Any harm mentioning their names or anyone with a request from hirer “Now it's time to turn up with referees names & contacts" etc.?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

DoubleCabbage will become famous soon enoughDoubleCabbage will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by charw
Feel bit strange when people put “Referees available upon request". Is it the norm? Any harm mentioning their names or anyone with a request from hirer “Now it's time to turn up with referees names & contacts" etc.?
In fact, I have almost given up on checking out references unless I know the referees personally or through someone else. What I have found over the years is that even a nut job can find 3 references.
Referees available on request etc: if company policy is to check out references/background, they'll ask for it if your resume is of any interest to them- even if you forget to put that line in.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Seeing many CVs must be the best education, HUP. What not to do.

Actually, in my industry, a one-size fits all CV can work, and a paragraph entered on seek is often enough to highlight.
The worst thing you can do is post your CV on a website like Seek. The good agencies won't touch you with a barge pole.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deancm
The worst thing you can do is post your CV on a website like Seek. The good agencies won't touch you with a barge pole.
I don't post it. I respond to particular adverts with a CV and or a cover paragraph and get most of my interviews that way. Each job application takes a minute - the time taken to edit out or add a line from my standard cover.

Interestingly, some people claim they never get a response, I get phone calls back within minutes. My last job took me all of 1 minute to get, and that was found within seconds of logging on to look for new work.

Has to be easier than sitting down matching key skills with past experiences which others report they have to do.