Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CV/Resume: stating citizenship

CV/Resume: stating citizenship

Old May 23rd 2015, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

northlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CV/Resume: stating citizenship

I'm moving to Australia in a few months and I'm an Australian citizen but have grown up in the UK and therefore my CV obviously has my workplaces/educational institutions listed as places in the UK.

I'm aware that Australian employers favour employing Australian citizens over people who are over there on, for example, a one year working visa and I don't want to be mistaken as such (which may be assumed by the average employer reviewing my CV) which could in turn mean my CV gets thrown in the bin due to the possible assumption that I'm only there for a year before my visa runs out.

Obviously a good way of avoiding this would be to state on the top of my CV that I'm an Australian citizen, but would this come across as unprofessional/nationalistic? Is it unusual for Aussies to state their nationality on their CV's like this? Hopefully not.

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CV/Resume: stating citizenship

State Aus and UK citizenships, or Aus and UK PR.

It would help to see that you are one of us and not another bloody POM.
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The right to work somewhere is important. Putting something like "I hold valid Australian and British passports" would be fine.
Old May 24th 2015, 3:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The right to work somewhere is important. Putting something like "I hold valid Australian and British passports" would be fine.
That's what I have in the "Personal Information" at the bottom of my resume - "Australian and Canadian citizenship". Along with valid driver's licence, proficiency in computer programs (listing what they are specific to the job I'm applying for", etc.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same issue years ago, most of my experience was in Ireland and UK. People assumed I was on a WHV and would call and say "we don't take people on backpacker visas".

I the added a section on my CV that says "Citizenship: Australian and EU.

Never had the problem since.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 7:02 am
Just Joined

DeclanSyd is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely suggest it. There is a lengthy and involved (read: costly) process when an employer is required to sponsor a non-resident. Therefore a number of employers will quickly dismiss anyone that doesn't appear to have residency / citizenship.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
State Aus and UK citizenships, or Aus and UK PR.

It would help to see that you are one of us and not another bloody POM.
Yep, do that in the UK as well, downplay the Aussie bit as don't want to be mistaken for another weed smoking bartender.