Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CV Layout for OZ?!

CV Layout for OZ?!

Old Nov 13th 2009, 1:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CV Layout for OZ?!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In the past couple of years I've interviewed loads of people and read loads of CVs. Here's what I've found out:
The person with the 'best' CV is often the worst candidate.
The person with the 'worst' CV is often the best candidate.
I can learn more from a candidate in a 5 minute interview than from any CV.
Asking 3-4 pertinant questions tells me all I need to know.
I usually know within 30-60 seconds whether a person is suitable or not.
HR people are generally a waste of space. They are usually air-head girls who have not got a clue about what we need. You should see some of the f**kwits they have sent to us for interview.
I don't care what a person's hobbies, life skills etc are. Are they qualified? Are they experienced? Can they do the job? All the rest is bollocks.

Unfortunately we now live in a world of corporate bullshit, lawyers, accountants and irrelevant arts degrees and this is what we have to put up with.
'air-head girls'.......hmmmm....nice to see generalisation is not dead then! I don't think that totally sexist and misogynistic comment is warranted. As for CV's, going back to your original point, you do still NEED them as an entry point. Whether they are valid or not is for an experienced recruiter, both internally and externally' to resolve during the rest of the process.
In my limited experience, both as a recruiter and now as a trainer, the best job recruiters are those who head hunt for senior positions. They are the ones who know the industry, the customers and also know that if they put a crap candidate up for a job their reputation will suffer so they go the extra mile to ensure the candidate suits the role.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: CV Layout for OZ?!

It does seem to vary a good deal. My aunt gave my CV a complete facelift just before I arrived (she has recruitment experience) and it's a lot more presentable now.

When I registered with Hays, they were happy with my CV but advised me that they would tinker with it on an "as needed" basis before submitting it to clients. I think their aim is to ensure that it emphasises the skills and work history most relevant to the position.

Some industries seem to have specific preferences; others will take whatever comes out of the bag. Government jobs are the hardest, since they will demand an endless criteria-focused essay.

Oh, and... I took an irrelevant arts degree at uni.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 13th 2009 at 2:17 am.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It does seem to vary a good deal. My aunt gave my CV a complete facelift just before I arrived (she has recruitment experience) and it's a lot more presentable now.

When I registered with Hays, they were happy with my CV but advised me that they would tinker with it on an "as needed" basis before submitting it to clients. I think their aim is to ensure that it emphasises the skills and work history most relevant to the position.

Some industries seem to have specific preferences; others will take whatever comes out of the bag. Government jobs are the hardest, since they will demand an endless criteria-focused essay.

As a word of advice, if you get an interview after Hays uses and 'tinkers' your CV, make sure Hays provides you with a copy of the 'tinkered' CV BEFORE attending any interview. It will save any embarrassing moments of silence when they ask you something about your CV that you are unaware of!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
'air-head girls'.......hmmmm....nice to see generalisation is not dead then! I don't think that totally sexist and misogynistic comment is warranted.
The blonde with big tits from HR that I usually deal with is hot. Definitely worth a punch.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

2 different rules...

1) Private enterprise corporate employers:
Normal CV - 2-3 pages.. up to 4 or 5 perhaps if its good relevant experience with over 10 years of work in multiple significant but varied roles (i.e. IT contractor) and theres lots of white space to keep it readable.

2) Government Jobs:
Throw your CV in the bin and write an 8,000 word dissertation on how your skills match precisesly those of the specified requirements and why, even if they KNOW who the job is going to because they've been in line for it for years and its just being advertised as a formality to satisfy the HR jerks - they should give it to you..... Come to think of it why do you want to work for government anyway? 60% of the salary of the private sector and 300% of the bureacratic nonsense.... save your time...

(I have applied for government jobs in the past out of desperation - but always been quietly happy when I havent got them!)
Old Nov 13th 2009, 4:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: CV Layout for OZ?!

Originally Posted by paddyo
As a word of advice, if you get an interview after Hays uses and 'tinkers' your CV, make sure Hays provides you with a copy of the 'tinkered' CV BEFORE attending any interview. It will save any embarrassing moments of silence when they ask you something about your CV that you are unaware of!
Haha, I can just imagine!

"So, Mr Stampede, tell us about your time as Chief Executive Officer for BP's South Pacific division..."

"Er... I visited Fiji once. Does that count?"

Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I tinker with my cv for every job i apply for - it takes me an average of 3 hours to tinker and write cover letter to meet spec sheet. Fortunately i have 3 months grace during my probationary period in my new job phew!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
I have recently discovered that on top of the covering letter (no more than 2 pages) and your resume/cv, in a lot of jobs you also have to answer each of the job specifications and personal specifications
I would not apply for a job which had this attached to it. Just not the way I think. Alarm bells would ring.

I did once do it for a govt job I did not really want and it involved a lot of cutting and pasting. "I've told you already!"
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound
I tinker with my cv for every job i apply for - it takes me an average of 3 hours to tinker and write cover letter to meet spec sheet. Fortunately i have 3 months grace during my probationary period in my new job phew!
Whereas I take 2 mins per job application. It's all in the CV - and an email, and for the most part - it stands alone - and unmodified(!) Haven't written a cover letter since I left school.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the past couple of years I've interviewed loads of people and read loads of CVs. Here's what I've found out:
The person with the 'best' CV is often the worst candidate.
The person with the 'worst' CV is often the best candidate.
I can learn more from a candidate in a 5 minute interview than from any CV.
Asking 3-4 pertinant questions tells me all I need to know.
I usually know within 30-60 seconds whether a person is suitable or not.
HR people are generally a waste of space. They are usually air-head girls who have not got a clue about what we need. You should see some of the f**kwits they have sent to us for interview.
I don't care what a person's hobbies, life skills etc are. Are they qualified? Are they experienced? Can they do the job? All the rest is bollocks.

Unfortunately we now live in a world of corporate bullshit, lawyers, accountants and irrelevant arts degrees and this is what we have to put up with.
I've been interviewing a lot recently and I'm quite amazed at how crap some candidates are. Many go bright red to the most mundane questions. One character went as red as a beetroot when someone asked him 'So tell me about yourself". (Did he still live with his mother?) Another was very dry and slow and spoke like he had terminal depression..

"Well - when you live with a mentally ill people".....

We asked him about this previous role:

"There were issues...one bloke hit another bloke. Not me though.."

My way of answering questions: I always keep it relaxed, but then try to make incisive, pointed remarks so they think - 'could work with him, but he's no *****w*t or an arse'. Say something general - show breadth of knowledge (this is your chance to show this - don't blag or waffle) - then cut immediately into a insightful detail which shows understanding and a degree of savvy. Then stop. A lot of interviewees start great then don't really stop. Show a little humour.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Originally Posted by DibDob
I have recently discovered that on top of the covering letter (no more than 2 pages) and your resume/cv, in a lot of jobs you also have to answer each of the job specifications and personal specifications

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I would not apply for a job which had this attached to it. Just not the way I think. Alarm bells would ring.

I did once do it for a govt job I did not really want and it involved a lot of cutting and pasting. "I've told you already!"
I have to!! all my employment is in health this is the standard and is expected everytime you apply!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Well I seem to have opened up a right can of worms with this

Has anyone who interviews or has been for interview in the past month or so any tips or advice on CVs, cover letters etc?

I've spent the last 16+ years in IT doing everything from building the machine, setting up networks, running training sessions to now doing telpehone and email support for a anti-virus company.

I'm currently a junior team leader (general dogs body is more like it) and want to move into full management.

Though it might help to post what I do in case that makes a difference
Old Nov 13th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chelly77
Well I seem to have opened up a right can of worms with this

Has anyone who interviews or has been for interview in the past month or so any tips or advice on CVs, cover letters etc?

I've spent the last 16+ years in IT doing everything from building the machine, setting up networks, running training sessions to now doing telpehone and email support for a anti-virus company.

I'm currently a junior team leader (general dogs body is more like it) and want to move into full management.

Though it might help to post what I do in case that makes a difference
Think someone in IT should answer this as it is industry specific... I recently applied for 3 jobs - got nothing from 2 jobs and was offered the job i actually really wanted - this was with my improved revised 3 page CV only covering my last 5 years work history and cover letter covering the job spec. And I"ve only been unemployed for 3 weeks.

Previously it took me 7 months to be offered an interview and then offered the job from my UK fully inclusive 6 page CV with full work history, paragraphs on key skills, experience etc.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the question. Why would my CV be any different for an Australian employer than a UK one? Surely they will want to know the same things as anybody else regardless of nationality: i.e. education, qualifications, work experience.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

The blonde with big tits from HR that I usually deal with is hot. Definitely worth a punch.
LMFAO!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.