Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cutting back on FIFO jobs

Cutting back on FIFO jobs

Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cutting back on FIFO jobs

I think South America is becoming a big player their spending some big money on infrastructure, as long as it dosnt go like OGX.
iv also heard the BHP have had there scouts in there for years
You can get some pretty good contracts in south America at the moment, Just need to brush up on the spanish
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

South America has always been a big miner. My father in law was there with Rio when Rio were still a small company.

I worked there years ago. South America has for years dominated silver and copper mining. It is home to the largest mines in the world
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
mmmm, not quite true

For Iron Ore:
China - low quality ore, many mines closing as their production costs are higher than Australia - cheaper for them to import
India - low quality ore, huge environmental problems, mines closing and they now import
Russia - no significant iron-ore exports that I am aware of
Brazil - a real competitor to Australia although they have their own problems. Vale are in a cosy little (unspoken) cliche with RTIO and BHPB in order to keep prices high. Between them they still dominate the seaborne iron-ore trade

Here's a fact: For RTIO and BHPB, iron-ore production costs in Australia are among the lowest in the world. They make the bulk of their profits here and that ain't going to change any time soon
Agree. Though there are some interesting developments taking place across Africa.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Agree. Though there are some interesting developments taking place across Africa.
Sure but if Simandou is an example of African competition in iron-ore then Australia has nothing to fear for the time being
Old Nov 30th 2013, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DeepSix
i hope the rest of the world is catching up re contract rates..
I'm getting an itch to get out of gladstone.. but the golden handcuffs are hard to walk away from !
Ive just finished up in Gladstone. when i first started there i couldnt beleive just how lazy the locals were. it didnt take me long to realize fifo boys are only as good as there last job and locals want the job to last forever as theres not much work after the lpg is finished. gladstone ... what a s@#$ whole
Old Nov 30th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Loads of work in engineering in Europe, UK & the USA - oil & gas, rail, power, infrastructure

Contract rates in certain fields are getting close to what they are here
I'm contracting now back in the UK and making more pounds than I was dollars in Brisbane.

Simply not enough people for the rail market, which is good financially, but bad stress wise as a large proportion of the people now working would be sacked otherwise!
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pome bstrd
Ive just finished up in Gladstone. when i first started there i couldnt beleive just how lazy the locals were. it didnt take me long to realize fifo boys are only as good as there last job and locals want the job to last forever as theres not much work after the lpg is finished. gladstone ... what a s@#$ whole
its exactly the same where we are. Where is your next contract?
Old Nov 30th 2013, 10:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I'm contracting now back in the UK and making more pounds than I was dollars in Brisbane.

Simply not enough people for the rail market, which is good financially, but bad stress wise as a large proportion of the people now working would be sacked otherwise!
The rail industry in the UK has always been like that though - over-manned and severely inefficient. It was when I worked in it anyway

It's not just rail; power and O&G also - and now nuclear. Things have certainly turned around over there from a year ago
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pome bstrd
I have to say that... i am beginning to tire of it.. They are talking at work about thinning out staff mid next year in prep for full finish in early 2015..

Might give the guys at Roy Hill or Gorgon a ring.. time to move on
Old Dec 1st 2013, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working on Roy Hill and I'm thinking of jumping over to Gladstone.

The grass is always greener.

keel

I have to say that... i am beginning to tire of it.. They are talking at work about thinning out staff mid next year in prep for full finish in early 2015..

Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keel
I'm working on Roy Hill and I'm thinking of jumping over to Gladstone.

The grass is always greener.

keel
haha... thats priceless..!
Gladstone only has about another year (tops) left in it.. the island will start to close up next year.. with QGC being first off the rank.
The dredging is over.. the narrows are finished, Wiggins looks as if it will be over late next year and there is no talk about an expansion..
Arrow havent committed to anything but the gossip is that they will buy into another gas plants train

Clive Palmer.. well not in the next 2 or 3 yrs for his Nickel plant..
The steel works idea died a death with the company going bust

Channel duplication wont happen for at least 3 yrs

dont think i have missed anything.. so if you are going to come over here.. best get your skates on.. the work is finishing.. quick
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Gladstone only has about another year (tops) left in it.. the island will start to close up next year.. with QGC being first off the rank.
The dredging is over.. the narrows are finished, Wiggins looks as if it will be over late next year and there is no talk about an expansion..
Arrow havent committed to anything but the gossip is that they will buy into another gas plants train

dont think i have missed anything.. so if you are going to come over here.. best get your skates on.. the work is finishing.. quick
and starting up in the UK.........
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Been offered 12 to 18 months working for Bechtel as a welding engineer. Not happy with working 4 and 1 but I'll give it a try. Gladstone looks better than Roy Hill any day.

I might get a transfer onto Wheatstone afterwards.

Keel

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:20 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
Been offered 12 to 18 months working for Bechtel as a welding engineer. Not happy with working 4 and 1 but I'll give it a try. Gladstone looks better than Roy Hill any day.

I might get a transfer onto Wheatstone afterwards.

Keel
I thought Bechtel was a Wheatstone site (and that they did 3 and 1 - that's what our guys do anyway inline with everyone else)
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Have a craic at leighties at darwin bro!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.