British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cutting back on FIFO jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cutting-back-fifo-jobs-813361/)

DeepSix Dec 1st 2013 12:00 am

Re: Cutting back on FIFO jobs

Originally Posted by keel (Post 11015492)
I'm working on Roy Hill and I'm thinking of jumping over to Gladstone.:rofl:

The grass is always greener.

keel

haha... thats priceless..!
Gladstone only has about another year (tops) left in it.. the island will start to close up next year.. with QGC being first off the rank.
The dredging is over.. the narrows are finished, Wiggins looks as if it will be over late next year and there is no talk about an expansion..
Arrow havent committed to anything but the gossip is that they will buy into another gas plants train

Clive Palmer.. well not in the next 2 or 3 yrs for his Nickel plant..
The steel works idea died a death with the company going bust

Channel duplication wont happen for at least 3 yrs

dont think i have missed anything.. so if you are going to come over here.. best get your skates on.. the work is finishing.. quick :)

Amazulu Dec 1st 2013 12:13 am

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 11015498)
Gladstone only has about another year (tops) left in it.. the island will start to close up next year.. with QGC being first off the rank.
The dredging is over.. the narrows are finished, Wiggins looks as if it will be over late next year and there is no talk about an expansion..
Arrow havent committed to anything but the gossip is that they will buy into another gas plants train

dont think i have missed anything.. so if you are going to come over here.. best get your skates on.. the work is finishing.. quick :)

and starting up in the UK.........

keel Dec 2nd 2013 11:18 pm

Been offered 12 to 18 months working for Bechtel as a welding engineer. Not happy with working 4 and 1 but I'll give it a try. Gladstone looks better than Roy Hill any day.

I might get a transfer onto Wheatstone afterwards.

Keel

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 11015498)

old.sparkles Dec 3rd 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by keel (Post 11018334)
Been offered 12 to 18 months working for Bechtel as a welding engineer. Not happy with working 4 and 1 but I'll give it a try. Gladstone looks better than Roy Hill any day.

I might get a transfer onto Wheatstone afterwards.

Keel

I thought Bechtel was a Wheatstone site (and that they did 3 and 1 - that's what our guys do anyway inline with everyone else)

pome bstrd Dec 3rd 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 11015379)
I have to say that... i am beginning to tire of it.. They are talking at work about thinning out staff mid next year in prep for full finish in early 2015..

Might give the guys at Roy Hill or Gorgon a ring.. time to move on

Have a craic at leighties at darwin bro!:thumbsup:

DeepSix Dec 3rd 2013 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by pome bstrd (Post 11020057)
Have a craic at leighties at darwin bro!:thumbsup:

might see if they have anything in my line of work...
never been to Darwin.. so would be good to paid to be there!! :thumbsup:

keel Dec 5th 2013 12:38 am

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 11020064)
might see if they have anything in my line of work...
never been to Darwin.. so would be good to paid to be there!! :thumbsup:

Worked there last year. It's a nice place to work when it's not humid.

Keel

DeepSix Dec 5th 2013 11:09 am

well... just had a quick look.. nothing going for me at the moment

christmas is a bad time to be looking.. probably start again in the new year

SUPERCAD Dec 12th 2013 10:10 pm

dont know what you guys do but try this facebook page out its great for off shore contracts all over the world.

just search offshore jobs on your face book page if the moderators delete this just pm me they get really touchy about other web sites

brits1 Dec 13th 2013 4:07 am

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD (Post 11034584)
dont know what you guys do but try this facebook page out its great for off shore contracts all over the world.

just search offshore jobs on your face book page if the moderators delete this just pm me they get really touchy about other web sites

Hi

Not sure if this is any help but my DOH works all over Africa and either does a 4 + 4 or 8 + 6 (with the same Company just different sections hence the different roster) we now live back in the UK (after 13 years in Aus) there are a lot of Aussie companies who work overseas so maybe look at seek.com and put in anywhere overseas there is usually quite a lot on offer (depending on your trade). Good luck and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

SUPERCAD Dec 13th 2013 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 11035030)
Hi

Not sure if this is any help but my DOH works all over Africa and either does a 4 + 4 or 8 + 6 (with the same Company just different sections hence the different roster) we now live back in the UK (after 13 years in Aus) there are a lot of Aussie companies who work overseas so maybe look at seek.com and put in anywhere overseas there is usually quite a lot on offer (depending on your trade). Good luck and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

We have just sold our house and my wife will go back at the end of Jan i will follow in April but could be june now (they keep extending it) but its really just a base for me as i will work anywere, although id like to get a europeian contract next which looks like its on the books. Seems like the wheels are turning with some good contracts going outside Australia. What field are you in?

km

brits1 Dec 13th 2013 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD (Post 11035892)
We have just sold our house and my wife will go back at the end of Jan i will follow in April but could be june now (they keep extending it) but its really just a base for me as i will work anywere, although id like to get a europeian contract next which looks like its on the books. Seems like the wheels are turning with some good contracts going outside Australia. What field are you in?

km

Hi, My husband works in OHSE in any of the Natural Resources, we returned to the UK and my Husband stayed working in Aus for 7 months (commuting back to the UK) and then has since worked in Various countries in Africa with our base in the UK. There does seem to be a lot on offer in Europe (its busy in Aberdeen and Norway), Canada, the South America's and the Middle East as well as Africa but I suppose it depends on your "trade" etc my husband also earns a lot more than he did in Australia.

comet555 Dec 14th 2013 1:50 pm

For those of you who work in Africa or have partners who have worked there, how do you find it? We live in Canada and my husband is looking for FIFO work again. We are very happy with where we live and are just starting to build a house so don't really want to relocate.

So, any good places for a mining engineer? Africa could very well work as it appears they might actually provide flights around the world. Just concerned about working conditions, safety, etc. We are Australian citizens so he could work in Australia however the rosters are so short he'd pretty much have to live there, so that won't work right now.

brits1 Dec 14th 2013 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 11037091)
For those of you who work in Africa or have partners who have worked there, how do you find it? We live in Canada and my husband is looking for FIFO work again. We are very happy with where we live and are just starting to build a house so don't really want to relocate.

So, any good places for a mining engineer? Africa could very well work as it appears they might actually provide flights around the world. Just concerned about working conditions, safety, etc. We are Australian citizens so he could work in Australia however the rosters are so short he'd pretty much have to live there, so that won't work right now.

Are there not fly in fly out jobs in Canada? for us Africa works well as (depends which area/country in Africa my OH is) but we are usually on a similar timeline and the flights are not so long so do not take up valuable time (which is on your own time with my OH's company).

verystormy Dec 14th 2013 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 11037091)

I work in Africa - i am at work now.

I currently work in Tanzania and have previously worked in Dem Rep of Congo (DRC) and in Tunisia and South Africa.

It very much varies as to what it is like and not just from country to country but also within different parts of countries. Tanzania is, by and large very safe. I am in the south on a mineral exploration project in a tented camp. I am comfortable going into the nearby town and things and wandering around.

In the DRC, it was very different - lots of militia fighting and the sound of gun fire was regular and even the whistle of mortars going over the camp. But, that was in the NE of the country and i have heard the south is fine.

Zambia is good to work in and i know several people who have moved there rather than FIFO. A lot of other countries are good and perfectly safe

Flight wise is it is fine. I live in Perth and fly with emirates business class. I do a 5 week on 3 week off roster. Company pays for all flights and things.

Working conditions, i find are very similar to Oz or anywhere else. The big miners operate everything the same way regardless of where. Heck, those that use companies like ESS to provide the camp and catering will find they eat the same meal on the same day regardless of where in the world they are!

comet555 Dec 15th 2013 1:17 am

Canada would definitely be our first choice because of distance, time, safety, etc. Just exploring options though. He has worked fifo for the last 3 years but lost his job 6 weeks ago as there wasn't much activity at his site. So have been looking however there aren't piles of fifo jobs around in November. The few he has found all have long closing dates so likely won't hear anything until January.

Africa is an interesting option because they have more drill and blast there to which my husband would like to gain some experience in.

He received almost 3 months severance pay so there is no immediate panic, however we had just started to build our dream house so not the greatest time to lose your only income. Would be nice to line something up quickly although we can wait it out for a while.

What are the camp facilities like in Africa? I imagine it varies so good points and bad points. Think it's safe to say he's not working in the DMRC.

verystormy Dec 15th 2013 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 11037655)
Canada would definitely be our first choice because of distance, time, safety, etc. Just exploring options though. He has worked fifo for the last 3 years but lost his job 6 weeks ago as there wasn't much activity at his site. So have been looking however there aren't piles of fifo jobs around in November. The few he has found all have long closing dates so likely won't hear anything until January.

Africa is an interesting option because they have more drill and blast there to which my husband would like to gain some experience in.

He received almost 3 months severance pay so there is no immediate panic, however we had just started to build our dream house so not the greatest time to lose your only income. Would be nice to line something up quickly although we can wait it out for a while.

What are the camp facilities like in Africa? I imagine it varies so good points and bad points. Think it's safe to say he's not working in the DMRC.

Camps are about the same as Oz to be honest. I am exploration, so at the moment i am in a tent. But, for a tented camp it is as good as tented camps in Oz.

DRC is safe in the south - i even have a mate who has gone residential there and she has lived there now for 4 years. And she is a young pretty blonde english girl! Even in the north though, for mine staff, pretty much everywhere is safe as you fly into the mine and stay within its confines for the duration. For my role as an exploration geologist who has to be out and about, it is a bigger issue.

The main thing to be aware of are the rosters - they can be long. For example, i came across a job i was interested in the other day, but the roster was 4 months on, 2 months off. The average is about 6-8 weeks on at a time.

One of the major things to note is pay. A lot of companies pay on the assumption that the country where you live allows you to work abroad and not pay tax back home. If Canada doesnt, then pay can appear low. Oz doesnt, but luckily i work for a Perth based company, so we are paid accordingly. But, if i was working for a UK based company the gross pay would be a lot less.

comet555 Dec 15th 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks so much, that makes me feel better :D

Pretty sure that Canada will tax the income received abroad, which is fine as long as the pay is the same (or better) than he would receive in Canada. So if it's tax free in Africa then at least we will only pay tax in Canada.

Still crossing my fingers he'll land a job in Canada so the commute and weeks away will be shorter. Just trying to sort out a plan B.