Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cut your losses and move?

Cut your losses and move?

Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cut your losses and move?

Well with all the doom and gloom in the UK at the moment with recession, house prices, value of the £, etc i was just wondering if any of you now in oz had to cut your losses to make the move and what the outcome has been - good or bad. Be it losing out on the sale of your home, car, the exchange rate - or something totally different such as lost friendships! Anyone care to share
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: Cut your losses and move?

Just like to say its not the money side of it that hurts the most its the loosing friendships/family. Im not rich by no means but OZ is still the place I want to live even if it is a 2nd go of it!!!!!

I know we`re in a recession BUT everyone around me is still working, having social nights out and buying everything they want. It has`nt affected everyone, in fact there was an article in the news paper today saying some ppl are even happy we are in a recession as it has made them learn to budget their money much better than before, they are no longer as frivalous, also the true test of happiness is not about what you havent got, its being thankful for what you DO have.

Bluekipper
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Just like to say its not the money side of it that hurts the most its the loosing friendships/family. Im not rich by no means but OZ is still the place I want to live even if it is a 2nd go of it!!!!!

I know we`re in a recession BUT everyone around me is still working, having social nights out and buying everything they want. It has`nt affected everyone, in fact there was an article in the news paper today saying some ppl are even happy we are in a recession as it has made them learn to budget their money much better than before, they are no longer as frivalous, also the true test of happiness is not about what you havent got, its being thankful for what you DO have.

Bluekipper
we're making a 2nd go of it too, come back for family and that has all turned to rubbish so the family thing wont be a big issue for me this time but the money side of things will as we gave up a good house to come back and when we return will inevitably end up renting, which i personally dont enjoy. Anyhoo, such is life
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
we're making a 2nd go of it too, come back for family and that has all turned to rubbish so the family thing wont be a big issue for me this time but the money side of things will as we gave up a good house to come back and when we return will inevitably end up renting, which i personally dont enjoy. Anyhoo, such is life

Hi again, your life is sounding like a replica of mine haha

we to have no money left! but a big determination to succeed in OZ 2nd time round. Lets hope we have it easy this time round eh? God knows we deserve it.

Bluekipper
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:48 am
Just Joined

wheeliein2minds is on a distinguished road

I put my house up for sale for 180k pounds in Jan 2007-just as the crash began- and reduced it every few months until I got a firm offer. That was for 118k pounds in Nov 2008! (2.35/pound) I was desperate to get to Oz because I knew it would get worse in the UK. Best decision i've ever made. My advice to anyone with a visa to come here is get what you can for your house NOW and just cut your losses. I'm convinced it will only get worse. (unless you're a candidate for a ping-pommer, in which case-don't bother)
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:54 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
Well with all the doom and gloom in the UK at the moment with recession, house prices, value of the £, etc i was just wondering if any of you now in oz had to cut your losses to make the move and what the outcome has been - good or bad. Be it losing out on the sale of your home, car, the exchange rate - or something totally different such as lost friendships! Anyone care to share
I moved to marry an Aussie, I was in $60,000 credit card debt (the time spent paying that back was fun...) and I can honestly say I have lost absolutely nothing in the 5 years I have been here. I have family in the UK and we have been back twice but planes work both ways ... apparently.

In the end, as long as we have enough for shelter, the bills and food then the other money matters are immaterial to us.

If you are leaving to escape "doom and gloom" then you'll be disappointed, you are better off not reading crappy papers/news and staying put.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The above is so true!!! and I thought I was hard done by have to get a 10,000 pounds loan to get back!!! I know it`l be worth it in the end tho. Just very scared as we`ve never had a loan before.

Bluekipper
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeadVim
In the end, as long as we have enough for shelter, the bills and food then the other money matters are immaterial to us.

If you are leaving to escape "doom and gloom" then you'll be disappointed, you are better off not reading crappy papers/news and staying put.
Thats a really good outlook to have Not leaving to escape anything really, we have lived in oz for 6 years before and came back for family (they are the ones we're trying to escape lol) Life here is good for us, we just crave the weather and outdoor lifestyle for the children. My husband would never have left in the first place if it wasnt for me so at least i know he'll have no problem settling back in
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I like that It actually really does work